Zello

RCM

• 2 weeks later...

I use Zello from time to time. Which GMRS channels on there are you talking about? 

I'm on a handful of them. Mostly GMRS-CHAT and UNITED GMRS. I also started my own channel, HSV675 but so far I'm the only member of that one. :D

Since I originally posted this thread I've talked with a member I recognized from here, on GMRS-CHAT.

Look for the NWI GMRS Zello channel. When authenticated by the moderators, all traffic is linked to the RF network of 8 repeaters in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Sioux Falls South Dakota. A weekly net is held every Sunday evening at 9pm EST, 8pm CST, etc.

Thanks, Bill! I'll check that out.

There's some zello handmics that bluetooth to your phone. So the phone becomes the "radio" and you use the handmic like a standard 2 way radio.

Bluetooth PTT Microphone PTT Button Zello mic Zello ptt button speaker Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBB7DU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_or9cEbS2QXDDD

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The problem I see with some of the Zello channels, be it "radio" related or not is owner/admins that spend way more time on air barking at people, asking who is xxx and who "trusted" them in. I can't even log in to Zello on my PC without 3 seconds later some admin yelling my handle wanting to know what I am doing on the channel. 

Well...you "trusted" me in....that's why I'm here.

I really laugh at the ones that are setup as "anyone can listen" but they still get all bent when you appear online. I don't spend 10 hours a day on Zello, so no, you probably haven't talked to me. When I log on to see what's being discussed, stop acting like I'm an intruder. You let me in. In one case you emailed me a password. 

Today some dude went in a level 13 panic calling people trying to find out who I was and who let me on....I never had a chance to answer, so I just let him go on sounding like he thinks he is so important, if he wants to play radio cop...have fun spazing out! 

There is nothing that ruins human interaction, like.....human interaction! 

Wow, I'm glad I'm not a member of that group.

I stay logged out most of the time because I don't want my phone randomly talking at all hours of the day and night. But, I like to log in sometimes when a net is scheduled or something.

I spend time on NWI and on GMRS-Chat. Both have nets every Sunday. 

GMRS-Chat does not go over repeaters and accepts unlicensed users. Despite that, we still observe regular radio practices. The thinking is that it gives interested people practice before getting their GMRS license. 

GMRS-Repeaters does link to repeaters, as does NWI, so users do have to be licensed. 

Since I don't use Zello, I was not aware that after the first 30 days one has to pay for the use of Zello. Fortunately I have no need for Zello being blessed with two wide-area repeaters in NW Indiana. :D

Only for business accounts. Personal accounts are free with no time limitation.

There's also a Texas GMRS Network channel on Zello. That one is a little more particular on how you join the group. Those repeaters are mostly around Houston and Dallas. 

There is a GMRS repeater where I live. It covers the entire county. However, there isn't a lot of traffic on it and it's not on any network.  

I use Zello to reach other GMRS groups for the sake of conversation. 

As a newly licensed Amateur operator, I don't see too much difference using Zello rather than Echolink, Peanut, Dstar, DMR, YSF, or even Wires-X. Particularly in the GMRS and Ham channels of which I'm a member, a license is needed. 

I've been playing with Echolink, which I find a little wonky. Zello offers a more stable app and smoother experience. 

I had about 15 channels logged on today on Zello...it was raining and cold, so I watched The Office and played on my phone.

In 6 hours, I heard pretty much nothing. A check in here or there for the channels that have networked repeaters tied to them, but no real conversations. Anywhere. 

Some UK guys on the NR channel 0 now and then...but nothing worth writing home about. 

• 2 weeks later...