Retevis RT76?

Ian

Ok folks. Severe topic drift here. This topic was about the Retevis RT76 radio, and has, in my view, been well addressed. Other subjects, such as FCC station identification requirements, should probably take place in the FCC Rules Discussion area.  If you want to discuss the second amendment to the US constitution, I'd suggest the Miscellaneous Topics discussion.

Ok folks. Severe topic drift here. This topic was about the Retevis RT76 radio, and has, in my view, been well addressed. Other subjects, such as FCC station identification requirements, should probably take place in the FCC Rules Discussion area.  If you want to discuss the second amendment to the US constitution, I'd suggest the Miscellaneous Topics discussion.

Nobody was "discussing" the Second Amendment. But since you bring it up, with all the threads that have started as a simple question and been turned into Chinese radio bashing threads, why is this the one you decided to charge into and complain about "thread drift?"

Nevermind; I'm pretty sure I know why.

Marc listing his qualifications for legal discussion and mentioning in one brief sentence his work in support of the Second Amendment, and one line in my post thanking him for that work, does not constitute a Second Amendment discussion. It's exactly the same as if someone in a discussion mentions the radios he uses as a firefighter, and someone else says "Thank you for your service."

There is always topic drift in any forum thread.  Nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

And this thread has been derailed since post #2.  Ian ask if anyone had experience with a RT76 and no one answered that question.  Instead, responses drifted all over.

For what its worth, I have no experience with the RT76.  I am tired of cheap radios and don't want to roll the dice anymore.  I can't provide any feedback beyond that.

Nobody was "discussing" the Second Amendment. But since you bring it up, with all the threads that have started as a simple question and been turned into Chinese radio bashing threads, why is this the one you decided to charge into and complain about "thread drift?"

Nevermind; I'm pretty sure I know why....

You do? Actually, I doubt it.  As @marcspaz noted, There is always topic drift in any forum thread. That is true, and topic drift doesn't help anyone in an online community. It makes it much harder to search for posts and focus discussion. These types of forums are threaded for a reason and one way to avoid too much thread drift is for the participants to raise it to everyone's attention when it occurs - which is exactly what I was doing.

As to the 2nd amendment, there were actually three posts. But, why would you start with personal attacks, simply because I noted the topic was out of place on this thread. In fact, you have no idea how I feel about any current political issues. But, If I did want to share my views, I would use an appropriate forum, and that is all I was suggesting.

You do? Actually, I doubt it.  As @marcspaz noted, There is always topic drift in any forum thread. That is true, and topic drift doesn't help anyone in an online community. It makes it much harder to search for posts and focus discussion. These types of forums are threaded for a reason and one way to avoid too much thread drift is for the participants to raise it to everyone's attention when it occurs - which is exactly what I was doing.

As to the 2nd amendment, there were actually three posts. But, why would you start with personal attacks, simply because I noted the topic was out of place on this thread. In fact, you have no idea how I feel about any current political issues. But, If I did want to share my views, I would use an appropriate forum, and that is all I was suggesting.

No personal attack intended. I value your opinion and agree with a lot of what you say. But, I remember seeing some comments from you in the past when someone mentioned firearms.

It's hard to find any thread on this site that doesn't drift if it gets much attention at all. So again, why even bring up the 2A mention when it is probably not even 1 percent of the thread drift? Maybe you don't have an anti-gun bias. But from previous posts I've seen, that does seem to be a trigger for you. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

How did we land a 2nd amendment argument in a RT76 radio thread? Hmm, methinks I want to buy 155mm howitzer now...

G.

No personal attack intended. I value your opinion and agree with a lot of what you say. But, I remember seeing some comments from you in the past when someone mentioned firearms.

How did we land a 2nd amendment argument in a RT76 radio thread? Hmm, methinks I want to buy 155mm howitzer now...

gman1971: We are not having a 2nd amendment argument here. My original observation was about the appropriateness of off-topic discussions. No comments were made, or implied about the second amendment, only about its (lack of) relevance to a Retevis-RT76.

And, in response to RCM. You are correct, I am not a big fan of guns. But, that is separate from my views on the 2nd amendment, which I prefer not to discuss in this venue. So, apology accepted, and thank you.

• 2 months later...

Just got mine due to the plague.  (It's not a long story, but...)  First impression:  I like it.  The orange accents are happy looking, ad the PTT is pleasantly tactile and clicky.  The rubber over the headset jack isn't silicone, and won't last forever, but it's held on by a screw and won't be hard to replace... if there are spare parts in ten years.  Body is cast aluminum inside.  Not very heavy, feels cheap... and then you realize it's got no chassis flex, and it just feels light.

But mostly?  This thing's a chonker.  Front to back, this is almost 50% thicker than a GD77s.  Could be close to an inch and a half thick, but thankfully the edges are rounded.  Flashed a codeplug with some local repeaters, and sensible tone codes on the simplex channels, and I'll play with it in a while, but the human factors are fine so far.

• 5 months later...