WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF233

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:08 AM

Even when running 462.xxx TX and 467.xxx receive for repeaters?  I'll have to play but the instructions seem lacking.. or I need to read more thoroughly.

WRAF233

NE NV

#42 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV
  • GMRS Callsign:WREN301
  • Ham Callsign:K7NVT

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:17 AM

Yep. Just set the radio so it displays the frequency and then go to the repeater channel of the desired frequency and then set the input tone. Confirm by pressing PTT and stand by for repeater acknowledgment via CW. Then you know you programmed it right. Then call out and see if someone replies. Yeah the manual doesn’t explain it. Only the menu functions.

Yaesu FT-60R w/ MARS/CAP mod and all accessories

Diamond MR77

#43 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:46 AM

Yep. Just set the radio so it displays the frequency and then go to the repeater channel of the desired frequency and then set the input tone. Confirm by pressing PTT and stand by for repeater acknowledgment via CW. Then you know you programmed it right. Then call out and see if someone replies. Yeah the manual doesn’t explain it. Only the menu functions.

I might have it..

Ch. 15 - 22 are repeater channels so find those, display the frequency (462.xxx) then program the CTTSS frequency for each repeater freq. I want to use (TX or RX or both?). 

If I use 141.3 for both TX/RX and the repeater only asks for Tone In is it incorrect to have both inserted?  Any affect? 

The radio already has the correct +5Mhz built in?

I thought I had my local repeater programmed in but nothing happened to tell me it was active or hearing me.  I might have heard a delayed 'kerchunk'.

Is the CW an audible tone to signal contact?

Maybe the admins will run us off to PM.  Or, maybe this will help the next noobie.  But yes, I've gone through the manual again and will start fresh tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch!

WRAF233

NE NV

#44 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:14 AM

Yep, that’s correct. The offset is already programmed in the repeater channels. All you have to do is input the TX tone. I wouldn’t put a RX one in yet. Once you confirm. Then you can add RX. I never use RX tones. Well, I haven’t had to yet at least.

Also, if you’re inside your house. Try it outside too. Just to see. Luckily I can hit most of mine in the area from inside my place. Even standing next to windows works wonders.

No problem at all. Glad to help.
  • WRAF233 likes this

Diamond MR77

#45 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:17 AM

Is the CW an audible tone to signal contact?

Usually it’s CW Morse Code identifying itself.
  • WRAF233 likes this

Diamond MR77

#46 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:32 PM

And that tone should answer when I key up the repeater?  I hear Morse code on both local repeaters every hour or so.

Asked the owner but all the told me is standard offset and TX tone settings on the HT.

Add:  Owner tells me he has not CW on his equipment yet but I might here squelch tail (I did but only once).  Just dead air out here I guess.

WRAF233

NE NV

#47 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:36 PM

I'm in...

WRAF233

NE NV

#48 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:05 AM

Wow, long day!

That’s great! So radio working good? Have you been able to contact anyone via repeater?

Diamond MR77

#49 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, had it on non-repeater channels.  Guy I talked with from the store parking lot told me I was hitting him on simplex, not repeaters. Nothing I saw in the book to clarify 23 - 30.  Once I moved over to there, after finding the +- on the screen for those channels it was rock 'n roll.  Hit both local repeaters from about 6 miles and talked with the owner of one.  As usual, something simple..d'oh.

WRAF233

NE NV

#50 WREN301

WREN301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

Nice! That’s great. Yeah, liking the higher capacity battery and this case has stretched well and fits like a glove now makes it a little bulkier but in a good grippy way. Now on to find a even higher gain antenna. Well maybe, the stock antenna performs quite well. Hmm..🤔

Diamond MR77

#51 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

Nice! That’s great. Yeah, liking the higher capacity battery and this case has stretched well and fits like a glove now makes it a little bulkier but in a good grippy way. Now on to find a even higher gain antenna. Well maybe, the stock antenna performs quite well. Hmm..

Oh sure, now you'll get me going looking at antennas.  Let me know how that goes.  I don't know how far away the guy was I was talking with on simplex.

WRAF233

NE NV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users