Antenna Bar Mount

Extreme

Oops. I mistook thefor a ".   In the case of eight feet, the loss is minuscule  like 0.8db. But, if there is no place for the coil it is probably a good idea to pay a bit extra to get the right length. BTW, UHF male connectors are among the easiest to attach on your own, if you were interested in having a whack at the cable on your own.

Connecting to an NMO is even easier, if you can solder at all.

Quarterwave antennae on VHF and UHF were always highly recommended when I ran the radio shop. I could solve alot of problems when I took a gain antenna off and put that little 6" quarter whip on instead. 

Agreed. If a quarterwave antenna has a problem, you can see it just by looking at it.

you can get  no ground plane antennas wouldn't that be easier https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/antennas-191/mobile-antennas-192/380-512-mhz-uhf-196/no-ground-uhf-antennas-215/  haven't ever used one myself maybe some of the members here have and could  give some advice as to there performance 

Pretty much covered earlier in this thread.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this to resolve my concerns for a ground plane on UTV side x side.  https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbc-1649.  The one with SO-239 

Instructions say cut radials to 8" for 406 - 512Mhz but using this calculator it comes out to 6.25" or so.  Either way has to be better than little to no GP.

I have a good visual on how to install on the kayak rack above the double plastic roof.   And I expect to get some grief on the trail from the non-believers.. beam me up..  but it should hopefully maximize GMRS performance.

Critique away please.

Looking at this to resolve my concerns for a ground plane on UTV side x side.  https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbc-1649.  The one with SO-239 

Instructions say cut radials to 8" for 406 - 512Mhz but using this calculator it comes out to 6.25" or so.  Either way has to be better than little to no GP.

I have a good visual on how to install on the kayak rack above the double plastic roof.   And I expect to get some grief on the trail from the non-believers.. beam me up..  but it should hopefully maximize GMRS performance.

Critique away please.

No critique needed.  This looks like a great solution for your particular installation.  ...and even fairly in-expensive.

As for the radials being longer than the calculated length, keep in mind that an NMO feed point is elevated up from the plane level, thus the plane surface area will need to be slightly longer.  Follow Laird's directions.

There are available NO GROUND antennas. They work fairly good  price is good too    https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/pctel-maxrad-muf4502-839

used on on my camper and my utv 

Yes, that's been discussed.  Seems the 1/4 wave will work best as far as RF goes and has the added benefit of it's 6" length.  The NGP antennas are much longer and would be a pain for overhead clearance on a UTV, would require spring loaded base, etc.  

I'll probably run the 6" on the kayak rack with an extension bracket for starters to see how it works then move to the ground plane listed above if I think it will help. 

The antenna will be on a 2" flat of angle aluminum that is tied to a 1" wide piece of steel, in turn tied to 1.5" steel roll bar.. all above the UTV plastic roof.  Not as complicated as it sounds.

Expecting my Kenwood 880 (and a 3170) Friday so will probably get the install done over the weekend.  I'll post pictures if allowed and we can tear into it then.  Nothing will be done that can't be undone or modified (bolts, not welds), and done with stuff I had laying around.

Critique away please.

Personally, if I had already bought that I still wouldn't use it on the UTV. I would just save it to use at the house, cabin or whatever. The 13" of angle iron or aluminum will be enough ground plane.

Personally, if I had already bought that I still wouldn't use it on the UTV. I would just save it to use at the house, cabin or whatever. The 13" of angle iron or aluminum will be enough ground plane.

Yup, I've put that one out of my mind for this application.  The installation is complete on the UTV and I think it will be fine. 

Waiting on software and cable to arrive so I can go through and verify programming on the 880 to be sure everything it correct and maybe change some button assignments  (same thing, different hard and software for the 3170 HT).

Hopefully, I won't stumble around too much with the software.

Or.. I could move the 880 to my pickup and just use PL259 - SMA jumper for HT in the UTV on the mobile antenna.. I'm actually liking that idea - (attribution for that idea to WREN301).

Yup, I've put that one out of my mind for this application.  The installation is complete on the UTV and I think it will be fine. 

Waiting on software and cable to arrive so I can go through and verify programming on the 880 to be sure everything it correct and maybe change some button assignments  (same thing, different hard and software for the 3170 HT).

Hopefully, I won't stumble around too much with the software.

Or.. I could move the 880 to my pickup and just use PL259 - SMA jumper for HT in the UTV on the mobile antenna.. I'm actually liking that idea - (attribution for that idea to WREN301).

Last TK-880 I bought didn't cost much more than a PL259-SMA adapter. In fact I passed on some just last week that were $15 each.

If I were you I would put the 880 in the UTV, get another one for the truck, and probably a couple more as backups. But that's just how I roll! :D

I was actually thinking awhile back that I had several TK-880s. But I started looking for them and could only find one that wasn't already in a vehicle. So I looked around for some cheap ones and bought three more for just over $20 each.

You're gonna need two for your repeater! What repeater, you ask? Just wait! :lol:

Last TK-880 I bought didn't cost much more than a PL259-SMA adapter. In fact I passed on some just last week that were $15 each.

If I were you I would put the 880 in the UTV, get another one for the truck, and probably a couple more as backups. But that's just how I roll! :D

I was actually thinking awhile back that I had several TK-880s. But I started looking for them and could only find one that wasn't already in a vehicle. So I looked around for some cheap ones and bought three more for just over $20 each.

You're gonna need two for your repeater! What repeater, you ask? Just wait! :lol:

I'm skeptical about buying off Ebay but it sounds like lots of folks have good luck there.  Assuming that's where you get them.   I spend the extra to get a 90 day warranty and to be sure it works out of the box.  I have no interest in getting 2 or more to 'make' one good one.  If you find one you're passing on, pass it on to me if from a reputable seller and I'd consider it.. kidding, sort of..

Regardless of where I buy, I am leaning toward another 880 in the pickup.  The UTV install turned out well IMO so will see how much use it gets this summer on the trails, etc.

Yeah, repeater.  Don't need one at home, there's already two within easy reach of both my HT.  I have a piece of dirt in Montana that would be close to ideal @ 5600', open with no trees or big buildings, looking over a good size town several hundred feet below and a couple valleys that stretch a long way.  Closest repeater to that area is well over 100 mi. LOS and behind a few 10k ft. mountain ranges.  Also happens to be at the junction of two major interstate highways.  But I don't live there, visit a couple times a year only, so it would be more of a GMRS community service, if there's even a GMRS "community" in the area.  Build it and they will come.

..and I know squat about requirements, as in enclosures, tower/pole, batteries with solar I'm assuming would be the ticket.  Maybe I could find someone to maintain it for their group or such.  Anyway..

Critique away please.

I actually used on of these directly thru the plastic roof of a UTV. It worked well on UHF. Tried similar on a VHF install and while it worked OK, I was  a bit more challenging to install. I run one on my motor home ladder mount now with a quaterwave antenna for my on board repeater.