Kenwood TK863G Recommendations

Extreme

RCM is seeing my posts all over the place.. trying to keep topics separate if only for future 'searchers'.

Please advise on DC power quick connect for a Kenwood TK-880 or 863G mobile so I can move it from my pickup to my UTV easily.  I'd just leave power and antenna cables in place on both rigs.  I can leave the mounting bracket in the pickup and already have another method to mount the mobile on my rollbar figured out.

I'm thinking something similar to the 2-pin connector used on Battery Minder/Tender, etc. but guessing there might be a more weatherproof solution for the UTV. 

Yeah, I can do an online search but thought someone here might have already implemented something slick.

Thanks!

Please advise on DC power quick connect for a Kenwood TK-880 or 863G mobile so I can move it from my pickup to my UTV easily.

Kenwood has it's own quick connect on the radio, however many of us in GMRS, and almost everyone in ham is using the 15/30/45 Powerpole connectors from Anderson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Powerpole

Kenwood has it's own quick connect on the radio, however many of us in GMRS, and almost everyone in ham is using the 15/30/45 Powerpole connectors from Anderson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Powerpole

Perfect.

I'll mount the radio overhead on a rollbar and it will be under the roof so water tight is probably not critical.

What gauge wire is usual for mobile?  I'm guessing 12ga?  Of course I can look at it when the radio arrives or ask the seller.  Might just have them toss in a 2nd power pigtail and modify it with the Anderson connectors.

Just learned about the 5Mhz offset for repeater use from a local owner. Aha moment.

The radio vendor will pre-program 16 channels free.  GMRS 1 - 7 and GMRS 15 - 22 is what I'm asking for.  That's 15.  Any suggestions for the 16th?  I can mod this stuff once received but if they'll do it before  it goes out the door, what the heck.

.. and on the Kenwood, any capability to add weather?

Here we go, looks like I'm stirring it up and I don't want to pit one against another, especially as the NOOB:

I ran my proposed frequency setup by a local repeater operator.  Told him it was recommended here that I program 1 - 7 GMRS Low Power, Narrow Band, simplex. 

His comment:

"I’ve never used GMRS Freq’s in narrow band. you’d limit your quality and ability to talk at distance with handhelds long range.  GMRS is wide band, FRS is Narrow banded. I'd leave all GMRS in wide band".

I replied with the rationale quoted from this thread:

"I would recommend getting 1-7 and 15-22 programmed. I would ask for 1-7 as low power, narrow bandwidth, simplex. I use 67 Hz PL TX and RX. This is to make it compatible with the widest range of handheld radios, including cheap, old FRS-only radios."

..and the reply:

"Okay so yes he’s saying narrow band for the FRS freqs, but keep in mind that if someone wants to pitch a bitch about you using a GMRS rig on FRS Freq’s they can now after the new FCC rulings. I personally don’t care either way and unless you’re blasting power on an FRS freq on a GMRS rig talking 50 miles away lol no ones going to know.  But you can do that for sure, it’s a non issue in reality if you are using the freq’s of 1-7 and they’re already the FRS freq’s. then yes they’d normally be narrow band anyway."

I get the feeling we might be talking apples/oranges? 

My take on the 2017 chart is that with a 4 - 5w HT I can use 1 - 7 and 15 - 22.

With a 25/40w mobile I'm legally limited to only Ch. 15 - 22 (50W).

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart#2017_FRS.2FGMRS_Channels

I will not have 8 - 14 @ 0.5w, Narrow (12.5k FRS & GMRS) programmed into the radio(s).

Looking for compliance first and foremost.  Max performance out of my equipment second.

Am I the only one who makes it this complicated: am I conflating data?    Waiting for the bulb to come on..

Perfect.

I'll mount the radio overhead on a rollbar and it will be under the roof so water tight is probably not critical.

What gauge wire is usual for mobile?  I'm guessing 12ga?  Of course I can look at it when the radio arrives or ask the seller.  Might just have them toss in a 2nd power pigtail and modify it with the Anderson connectors.

You can use almost any 18 through 14 gauge wire  the transmit draw is less than 15 amps. As far as quick disconnect connectors, I use XT60 connectors I can get at any hobby store selling radio control items. They solder to the wires so crimpers are not needed.

Here we go, looks like I'm stirring it up and I don't want to pit one against another, especially as the NOOB:

I ran my proposed frequency setup by a local repeater operator.  Told him it was recommended here that I program 1 - 7 GMRS Low Power, Narrow Band, simplex. 

His comment:

"I’ve never used GMRS Freq’s in narrow band. you’d limit your quality and ability to talk at distance with handhelds long range.  GMRS is wide band, FRS is Narrow banded. I'd leave all GMRS in wide band".

I replied with the rationale quoted from this thread:

"I would recommend getting 1-7 and 15-22 programmed. I would ask for 1-7 as low power, narrow bandwidth, simplex. I use 67 Hz PL TX and RX. This is to make it compatible with the widest range of handheld radios, including cheap, old FRS-only radios."

..and the reply:

"Okay so yes he’s saying narrow band for the FRS freqs, but keep in mind that if someone wants to pitch a bitch about you using a GMRS rig on FRS Freq’s they can now after the new FCC rulings. I personally don’t care either way and unless you’re blasting power on an FRS freq on a GMRS rig talking 50 miles away lol no ones going to know.  But you can do that for sure, it’s a non issue in reality if you are using the freq’s of 1-7 and they’re already the FRS freq’s. then yes they’d normally be narrow band anyway."

I get the feeling we might be talking apples/oranges? 

My take on the 2017 chart is that with a 4 - 5w HT I can use 1 - 7 and 15 - 22.

With a 25/40w mobile I'm legally limited to only Ch. 15 - 22 (50W).

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart#2017_FRS.2FGMRS_Channels

I will not have 8 - 14 @ 0.5w, Narrow (12.5k FRS & GMRS) programmed into the radio(s).

Looking for compliance first and foremost.  Max performance out of my equipment second.

Am I the only one who makes it this complicated: am I conflating data?    Waiting for the bulb to come on..

The Kenwoods can be programmed for high or low power per channel. The standard low power setting on the 25 watt radios is 5 watts, which makes them legal on channels 1-7.  Channels 8-15 are 0.5 watts max, as you pointed out. The Kenwoods and most other mobiles won't go that low.

As for narrow band on 1-7, not only are most blister pack radios narrowband; the Midland Micromobiles that are so popular are also narrowband. Going narrowband on those channels also makes you fully compatible with those.

For the 16th channel, I have an idea: if you look at Crescent Valley on the MyGMRS Map, there is an open repeater that uses a different tone than the standard travel tone I suggested earlier. You might consider adding that one as your 16th channel.

Lots of sellers on ebay have the Kenwood power cable for less than $10 each. Sometimes much less. That's what I use, because they work well and the radios are already set up for it.  In fact I might start converting some of my ham radios to that system.

The Kenwoods can be programmed for high or low power per channel. The standard low power setting on the 25 watt radios is 5 watts, which makes them legal on channels 1-7.  Channels 8-15 are 0.5 watts max, as you pointed out. The Kenwoods and most other mobiles won't go that low.

As for narrow band on 1-7, not only are most blister pack radios narrowband; the Midland Micromobiles that are so popular are also narrowband. Going narrowband on those channels also makes you fully compatible with those.

For the 16th channel, I have an idea: if you look at Crescent Valley on the MyGMRS Map, there is an open repeater that uses a different tone than the standard travel tone I suggested earlier. You might consider adding that one as your 16th channel.

Lots of sellers on ebay have the Kenwood power cable for less than $10 each. Sometimes much less. That's what I use, because they work well and the radios are already set up for it.  In fact I might start converting some of my ham radios to that system.

Ya, I can go low and narrow 1 - 7 and still play with the grandkids in camp. It's not like all channels are congested out here so will rely on the 15 - 22 High/Wide that are not repeater designated in my system when with a group or family on the trails or fishing.  Looks like I'll have 3 vacant after adding all the repeaters I might potentially use.  And even the repeater channels should work HT-HT or HT-Mobile if not in repeater range, correct?

Good idea on Ch.16 for that off the travel tone repeater.  

Coincidentally, the closest repeater to me locally is the same setup as one in Montana I plan to try when there.

Looking forward to playing with programming and keying up.  

Ya, I can go low and narrow 1 - 7 and still play with the grandkids in camp. It's not like all channels are congested out here so will rely on the 15 - 22 High/Wide that are not repeater designated in my system when with a group or family on the trails or fishing.  Looks like I'll have 3 vacant after adding all the repeaters I might potentially use.  And even the repeater channels should work HT-HT or HT-Mobile if not in repeater range, correct?

Good idea on Ch.16 for that off the travel tone repeater.  

Coincidentally, the closest repeater to me locally is the same setup as one in Montana I plan to try when there.

Looking forward to playing with programming and keying up.  

Yes, as long as you have a button set up for TA. Pressing that button puts it in simplex mode even on the repeater channels. Which is perfectly legal, btw.

Yes, as long as you have a button set up for TA. Pressing that button puts it in simplex mode even on the repeater channels. Which is perfectly legal, btw.

Just another clarification for those not already in-the-know... TA stands for "Talk Around", which talks "around" the repeater, in other words, simplex on the repeater output frequency.  If you set up channels 15-22 all as +5MHz repeater channels, then pushing the TA button makes them all simplex channels for talking radio-to-radio directly.

Set up the 16th channel for whatever repeater you will normally be using that might have a non-standard tone set.

Thank you sir.  Good stuff and good to know all those channels are still usable.

I've been thinking since I got on myGMRS forum that there should be a sticky or FAQ list of acronyms pertaining to radio in general and GMRS in particular.  Appreciate you explaining TA, I'd have been searching..lol.  Took me weeks to find out what CCR is, for crying out loud!  

Just read the Owner's Manual .pdf for the Wouxun KG-805G Series.

Looking for a TA option.  Found nothing.  Maybe when I get the actual radio and software it will show up in there.

The KG-805G does not presently have the ability to do Talk-Around.  The best you can do is to create two separate channels. Eg. 

ch 1, GMRS 22 Repeat (+5mHz)

ch 2. GMRS 22 Simplex

I have already suggested to the vendor (BuyTwoWayRadios) that they add Talk-Around as an option for the programmable function keys. They liked the idea and said they'd look into adding it in some future update, though I wouldn't hold my breath.

On my 16 channel radios i usually setup all channels on low power and program a switch or button to put it in high power if I want.

Then

1-7 wideband no tone

I dont even bother programing 8-14

15-22 wideband no tone with exception of 16 and 20 which i program with the tones my local Jeep clubs uses.

Channel 16 i program with my local GMRS repeater.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

From BTWR description of the 805:

"Some features can be customized using the optional programming software (free download) such as adding or removing channels or customizing the channel name, bandwidth, transmit power, or CTCSS/DCS codes. Support for up to 128 channels is provided, and receive-only channels can be added for any frequency in the 400-470 MHz range."

The 16 Channel thing I keep going back to is the "free" programming that used-radios.com offers on their stuff.  They'll do 16 Ch. included.  I have to remind myself that there are more available that I should be able to program in myself.

So, could I program channels for repeaters with tones and other channels for simplex, no repeater tones, with same TX/RX frequencies?

...So, could I program channels for repeaters with tones and other channels for simplex, no repeater tones, with same TX/RX frequencies?

Yes, any or all of the above.

Each channel can be any combination of frequency (GMRS channel), name, bandwidth, power, and tone/code.

You could even have the same frequency, bandwidth, power, and tone/code in two different channels with two different names, though that would make little sense.

You could also program all 128 channels to the exact same settings (I.e., make the radio idiot proof). The only limit is the max number of 128 channels.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response.  Was in Montana riding the trails.  I ended up with the 880 25w unit.  Got 18 - 20 mile reception from the 880 to a HT clear as day in simplex, even with a timbered hill between (on the mobile end of the shot).  Was very surprised.  Also worked weil with UTVs.  Mobile has a 1/4 wave antenna.

You should get excellent results with a repeater available.

• 1 month later...

Update:

In a senior moment out elk hunting I managed to break my 1/4 antenna off my SxS, base mount and all.  Not realizing the damage I burned up the finals trying to TX to a hunting buddy.  

I'm replacing the TK-880 with TK-8180 and got a second 8180 to install in my Jeep Cherokee XJ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, guys new here. I'm debating getting the Kenwood tk863G over a Midland also based on the recommendations from this site.

From the quote above, could you not program channels 15-22 in as repeater channels if you know your local PL tones, then simply use the TA button as described to change them to simplex tones? Or would you lose other functionality that way? Thanks.

Of course, there are no Batwings on this thread, that would've been uncalled for, right? I like Kenwood too, that is before selling my soul to the Moto gods I debated whether to go with the Nexedge radios instead, the NX-5000 series sure are appealing too but...

OMG Gman endorsing a radio that doesn't have bat wings!