n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:18 PM

I've tried many times to participate in nets via cross-band and found it most unsatisfactory. Why one may reasonably ask? Simple, if the hang time on the remote repeater is long, it's difficult to get an word in edgewise!  :wacko:

For some reason a lot of people won't wait for the repeater to drop before keying up, especially during a round of check ins.. Go figure! :lol:

• RCM likes this

#22 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:47 AM

Yes... a repeater to a repeater is usually not a good time. Plus, there is delays in key up times, leading to a word or 3 missing from the start of your transmission.
  • RCM and gman1971 like this

#23 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

Oh, not to forget the heating taking place on one's cross-band radio from the 'extended keyup times'... :o

• RCM, marcspaz and gman1971 like this

#24 RCM

RCM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM718
  • Ham Callsign:KU4FL

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:42 AM

Yes... a repeater to a repeater is usually not a good time. Plus, there is delays in key up times, leading to a word or 3 missing from the start of your transmission.

Don't get me started on that! There are some lids around here that I have no clue what their legal callsign is, because I have never heard the first half of it!

• marcspaz likes this

#25 RCM

RCM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM718
  • Ham Callsign:KU4FL

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:00 AM

Oh, not to forget the heating taking place on one's cross-band radio from the 'extended keyup times'... :o

Agreed.

I just saw a discussion on another forum where most of the participants are 100 percent convinced that a portable "repeater" consisting of a Chinese dual bander in an ammo can with a battery, crossbanding from GMRS to 2 Meters, and a few Chinese dual band HTs to access it, is an awesome setup that can't possibly have any technical problems. And the illegality of it is just a minor technicality and not worth discussing beyond saying nobody will really notice nor care. rolleyes.gif

To those guys a couple of commercial UHF rigs, a simple controller and a pair of antennas with feedlines is way too complicated to even consider.

• jimndfw, marcspaz and Downs like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users