gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:40 PM

UPDATED (1/24/2020)

So, found a bunch of bugs when actually using the radio. I sent an email to Anytone, and posted a review on Amazon in hopes they get resolved, I am basically copying my review here as well:

"Love the radio, for the most part..., and when it works, that is. Aside from the lack of separation for the head unit, which can be overcome with some mounting shenanigans, when the radio works its pretty good.

Receiver performance is far superior to the 878 or MD5, it seems to pick things where the Alinco MD5 won't even break the squelch.

As a standalone unit the radio works fairly well, provided you don't use the Bluetooth or the BT PTT... et all.

So, why 1 star then?

Simple, the features that make this radio stand out don't work all the time, or consistently, and when this happens there isn't much you can do to fix that and frustration sets in. 

The list of issues I've run into so far are: (firmware 1.05)
-Bluetooth will stop transmitting voice after paired for a few minutes without a transmission. As in, radio will transmit, you speak into your Senna headset microphone but no voice will be heard on the other end. Upon pairing it works like a charm.
-Bluetooth won't automatically reconnect if the headset is turned off, then back on. (LAME) Need to power the radio down and then back up. 
-Bluetooth PTT won't reconnect automatically after powering up unless you explicitly go into the menus to connect it. (LAME)
-Crossband DMR repeat will stop working after radio is been sitting idle for 1/2 hour or so.  (WHT?) Need to take the radio out of Crossband mode, then toggle it back on.
-Crossband DMR won't transmit back on A when Band A is selected, the active band needs to be B in order to be a true two way crossband that receives on B and transmits on A, and vice versa.
-Crossband DMR won't pass get GPS position, call-alert, or radio check, etc, type of messages, like a DMR repeater should, so if you are using two 878s one in VHF and another on UHF, with the 578 set to crossband mode, neither of the 878s will be able to perform range measurements within each other, radio checks, etc... that is pretty significant missing functionality.
-Crossband DMR won't pass private calls both ways, only band B to A, but no A to B.
-Crossband DMR no SMS will go through at all.
-In Crossband mode you can't TX by keying up the microphone PTT. My TYT 8000E radio can do this.
-No option to turn off the screen from the menus, or a time out. (How so?)
-PA and PD are hardcoded to some function, and no matter what you set in the CPS, you can't use those two buttons.
-No speed dial with the microphone keypad??? Really?? Even my BF-1801 45 dollar especial has this feature. (LAME)

That's all I can remember now, hope these get fixed, if not I'll dump the radio and move on.

G.

#22 axorlov

axorlov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVX408
  • Ham Callsign:KM6JGU

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:29 PM

For $115 from Amazon, tempting... What about single frequency DMR repeater function, did you try that out? Does it work?

And how does it work, anyway (I'm totally new to DMR)? Time slot 1 is uplink and Time slot 2 is downlink?

- Alex

#23 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:06 PM

Hey axorlov, 115? Its 399: https://www.amazon.c...79741137&sr=8-4

The $115 is the AT-D778, which is not even a digital radio. The 578 is a brand new triband mobile radio (140, 220, 440) FM/DMR, with a very nice double receiver, crossband, single freq repeater, bluetooth, gps....  I think once they fix the teething issues the radio will be a hit. (it seems already like a pretty decent radio anyhow)

The single frequency repeater is pretty nice, it works surprisingly well with the Baofeng BF-1801...  it is nice to rebroadcast your own stuff without requiring to use an additional frequency. There are few videos online that show how it works... 

G.

#24 axorlov

axorlov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVX408
  • Ham Callsign:KM6JGU

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

Oh, I goofed up on that. Sure, not the DMR radio. Not so tempting now, lol.

- Alex

#25 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

The portable Alinco DJ-MD5TGP is 149 now with GPS, and its a pretty decent deal. :) It doesn't have all the extra of the 578, but it is pretty much the same radio in terms of functionality.

G.

#26 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:13 PM

Easiest bug to repro, the Crossband DMR not working both ways: set radio to TX on band A (VHF), radio won't re transmit whatever it receives on band A (VHF) to band B (UHF), but will re transmit from B (UHF) to A (VHF) Ran on it again while testing it further...  and probably the most annoying of all bugs I've run into.

Who writes the software for this radio?? I mean, c'mon, its the simplest bug to reproduce ever... yet its on version of the firmware 1.05, they've had 5 (FIVE) release points since 1.00... I am starting to lose my faith on this radio... so be prepared as it might be popping for sale on eBay at a good discount...

G.

#27 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

Looks like they released 1.06 firmware... 

which doesn't seem to fix diddly squat.... some receiver being stuck improvement... just improvement? why not a fix? 

#28 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:12 PM

More bugs, looks like private calls only go one way while in crossband DMR mode. This thing has more bugs than Windows ME... (for those who remember)

G.

#29 jwilkers

jwilkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWK521
  • Ham Callsign:KD8DVR

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

Well, people were whining to release it...so they did. Firmware isn't ironed out yet. Expect a lot more updates.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
  • berkinet and gman1971 like this

#30 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:51 PM

LOL, yeah, I know, I was one of the silent whiners.... so I got right what I deserved... oh well... I really like it tho, when it works is fantastic, and the fact it has 1W on low is amazing.

G.

Well, people were whining to release it...so they did. Firmware isn't ironed out yet. Expect a lot more updates.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

#31 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:18 AM

Yet another bug, SMS won't go through in DMR crossband mode. Vertex DMR repeater works just fine.

#32 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

One more to pile up to the list. Radio froze up... not sure how long it was frozen... the 878 also freezes too, guess someone at Anytone can't program his own way out of a paper bag... pretty sad.

G.

#33 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

Radio froze again today. With firmware 1.06. Absolutely unacceptable, the worst radio I've used to date. It freezes just by sitting idle for a couple of hours...  utter trash.

So, if you feel tempted to get one, DON'T. Right now this is the radio to avoid. Maybe when all firmware bugs are worked out, in the mean time, AVOID IT... 

WHAT a piece of excrement....

G.

#34 Lscott

Lscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRBZ532
  • Ham Callsign:KC8LDO

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

On the other hand, if you just want connectors on the radio and control head, that should be pretty simple. I'd use two short ribbon cables at the body and head. One end connected to the respective unit, and the other terminated in a standard 20-pin female ribbon connector. Then just make a ribbon cable of the length you want and terminate it with a 20-pin male connector at each end.

I wouldn't recommend doing this. The signals on the ribbon cable are very likely logic signals, some anyway, that have sharp rise and fall times thus a high frequency content. Extending the ribbon cable would be the equivalent of a transmission line. If the line was not terminated in the proper impedance at each end then you get reflections. Those appear as high frequency ringing on the logic level transition edges. The voltages can ring above the supply and below ground which can result in damage to the chips on the boards if they exceed the max spec values. Additionally the ringing will look like extra logic transitions further confusing the logic on the boards. 

Once in my younger days I tried to use the expansion slot on the back of my then new TRS-80, it ran between 2 to 3 MHz, using a 2 to 3 foot long un-terminated ribbon cable to the solder less breadboard. I wanted to try experimenting with some computer controlled hardware. The computer wouldn't even boot to the built-in BASIC interpreter until I removed the cable. Lucky nothing was damaged. Lesson learned.

• gman1971 likes this

#35 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

Figured it wasn't as simple :)

Thanks man! I am debating what to do with the radio TBH. The C.N.Y. measn there will be no updates for at least another 2 weeks... the radio froze twice yesterday. It is pretty much unacceptable at this point.

G.

I wouldn't recommend doing this. The signals on the ribbon cable are very likely logic signals, some anyway, that have sharp rise and fall times thus a high frequency content. Extending the ribbon cable would be the equivalent of a transmission line. If the line was not terminated in the proper impedance at each end then you get reflections. Those appear as high frequency ringing on the logic level transition edges. The voltages can ring above the supply and below ground which can result in damage to the chips on the boards if they exceed the max spec values. Additionally the ringing will look like extra logic transitions further confusing the logic on the boards. 

Once in my younger days I tried to use the expansion slot on the back of my then new TRS-80, it ran between 2 to 3 MHz, using a 2 to 3 foot long un-terminated ribbon cable to the solder less breadboard. I wanted to try experimenting with some computer controlled hardware. The computer wouldn't even boot to the built-in BASIC interpreter until I removed the cable. Lucky nothing was damaged. Lesson learned.

#36 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:28 PM

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... I upgraded my antivirus and found that the 578 CPS installer program has a trojan virus.

uds:worm.win32.wbvb 

So, BEWARE....

FRACKING A... Bridgecomm systems... 

#37 Lscott

Lscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRBZ532
  • Ham Callsign:KC8LDO

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:58 PM

You should contact the vendor and have them check it out. Some antivirus software will flag good software as having a virus. We have an in-house written utility to load a calibration-configuration file to a custom designed microprocessor based board where I work. The IT department used Webroot and it kept erasing the utility exe file after flagging it as virus infected. Really frustrating. Had to get IT to put that file in an exclude list to keep from getting erased every time I tried to install it. 8-/

#38 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:34 AM

Well, the 1.05 firmware didn't trigger the antivirus... and only bridgecomm systems has the 1.06 version, its not available on the Anytone website... so that makes me wonder...  Suffice to say, I won't be using the CPS until a new one comes out that doesn't trigger the antivirus.

Shame.

G

You should contact the vendor and have them check it out. Some antivirus software will flag good software as having a virus. We have an in-house written utility to load a calibration-configuration file to a custom designed microprocessor based board where I work. The IT department used Webroot and it kept erasing the utility exe file after flagging it as virus infected. Really frustrating. Had to get IT to put that file in an exclude list to keep from getting erased every time I tried to install it. 8-/

#39 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:42 PM

Looks like Anytone website is no more, so can't even check for a firmware upgrade... oh well. Wonder if they went out of business...?

Another 578 update: I removed the radio from the Velomobile and installed it inside a backpack with an NMO no-ground antenna. Since performance is good, it will remain there, and since it will be unlikely I'll be using the backpack unattended, I won't have to worry about the radio freezing up...  oh well... shame.

For the Velomobile I went with a pair of EVX-531 G7 (450-512Mhz) radios, a Surecom controller and a duplexer to a 1/4 wave antenna. Works really well and its 100% reliable. Maybe if Anytone ever fixes the firmware I'll reconsider putting this radio back on the velomobile...  in the meant time, its all about Vertex Standard.

G.

#40 WRCZ387

WRCZ387

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCZ387

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:04 AM

gman1971:

There is an http://anytone.us/ website that I found

They state that they have stopped selling Wouxun radios and now sell Anytone instead

http://www.wouxun.us...?category_id=94 is the link to AT-D578UV firmware and programming software updating

The 1.06 is the most recent version listed, but it's a spot to check for newer updates

It's NOT anytone.net (they only had v1.05) or anytonetech.com (no software at all)

Maybe this will help if you decide to give the Anytone rig another try

Greg

WRCZ387

Clearwater, FL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users