New Portable Repeater Antenna Setup Is Done

marcspaz

Hmm Marc, does your house look like a porcupine? Just asking.

Normally I would think so too, but they are so thin that you can't see them until you're a few feet away. The Diamonds are fiberglass and painted white, so they are a little more visible. You can see those once you're in the driveway.

Still choosing gear. But yes the attic looks like it will be a nest of pokey metal and wire. The odd shape doesn't allow for a 40m fan dipole, does fit a 20m with easy. I have enough space to get an x300 in there with height to spare, but due to the radials and trying to get a dipole in also I am leaning heavily towards the x50a, the dipole won't come as close to touching. Even then for gmrs I would probably put up a x30a on the other end. Currently, the thought is the fan dipole, x50a for hf and uhf. A switch with a set of halos for 2m ssb. But as usual your information gives me info that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm glad the info helps, but what do you mean by a 20m fan dipole? I ask, because normally a fan dipole is setup for multiple bands, with several sets of radiating elements that are fanned out from each other.

I would think a half wave folded dipole would work well for you, space wise. It would be about 16.4'. They tend to be a bit more directional, however.

You are correct it is just a fan dipole. Lowest band being 20m. In my case, 20/10/6.. i am short by 4 feet for 40m. Just scared of the hv at the tip sot snake it a bit at the ends. They still would be close to aluminum siding.

Get an antenna tuner and just load it up on 40 anyway. It can”t perform any worse than a random wire.

That what I keep saying about the gutter antenna. How bad could it be its 45 feet up next to siding and 45 feet down one leg. Whats the worst that could happen? Everyone gets rf burn and I have a 25:1 swr? Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread.