Practical applications

krvw

Hey folks,

Yeah, more questions from a newbie...

So, I’ve been enjoying learning more about GMRS. I’ve connected with a couple repeaters while out of town recently. All good.

I see several practical uses for my needs, mainly quick comms with family.

But I’ve also been curious about how others use the service, either on repeaters or simplex.

One use case came to mind: HOA comms around a small community. The HOA could designate a channel (even FRS) and tone for open and free community use. Simple things like, “Did the snow plow come through yet?”, “Heads up about a solicitor in the neighborhood.” That sort of thing.

Anyone here try this or other interesting use cases? I am curious.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ken

WRFC318

I have used VOX on my FRS radios with an in-ear (under helmet) speaker/mic to talk to my spotter while on road course race tracks.  It's good to have comms with a spotter to tell you if you have panels coming loose, high body roll (wrong suspension tuning), smoke/liquid coming from the car, missing an apex or brake zone point, etc.

I also use GMRS and FRS when we go 4-wheeling, to spot drivers or to get a spot while rock crawling.  Many times, the terrain we are driving through is so complex that tire placement needs to be accurate within a few inches.  Drivers typically can't see the tires and rocks under the vehicle.  So, they need a competent driver/spotter to provide guidance on exactly what to do with the vehicle.

That is just 2 examples.  The opportunities for radio to make life safer and more entertaining are endless.

The North Shore Emergency Association (founded 1952) provides communications at the Evanston 4th of July Parade as well as the fireworks on the lakeshore in the evening.

We also provide communications for bike rides, marathon events, and similar throughout the year. It's a lot of fun as well as being a useful community service. :D