4-5w GMRS Certified Radio?

Guest Dave

Hello,

I'm trying to find a 4-5w certified GMRS radio.  Tried the FCC search and my head is spinning...

Anyone care to sound off on radios they know to be compliant and give me a jump start?

Thanks!

Dave

I've used the Kenwood TK-370G-1 model. It is part 95 certified.

https://fccid.io/ALH29473110

You can read the spec's from the site below. There are other versions of the brochure that show several UHF models:

https://www.ameradio.com/doc/Kenwood_TK-270G.pdf

You can find these at Ham Radio flea markets and on eBay. If you go this route be sure you get the EXACT model above. There are several frequency range versions designated by the "-1", "-2" etc. 

Look for one that has the radio with "tested" in the description and with battery, antenna and charger. You can expect to pay $50 to $75 more nor less for one. You can find better deals for less money but you may have to fix it and or missing battery packs etc. I've gotten some very good deals trying to save money that work fine, a few that I had to do some bench repairs and a couple in the junk box.

The programming software is easy to find with some searching and use the cheap Baofeng type USB programming cable. I picked one up for $8 from R and L Electronics in Ohio.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=71426&osCsid=b0beekg0h744pcdf1jhbq8ebo2

There is a newer radio which is smaller that is also certified. Its the Kenwood TK-3170-K. I have the TK-2170-K VHF model.

https://fccid.io/ALH34713110/

The spec's on this radio are located here.

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/lmr/tk-2170_3170/

You can find these radios used for $50 to $100 with the same advise above for the TK-370G-1.

There are various Chinese radios made by companies like Btech. By the way this is only a 2 watt radio.

https://baofengtech.com/gmrs-v1

Most of the Chinese radios use a simple internal design, radio-on-a-chip with little output and input filtering, which doesn't perform as good as the commercial radios like the two examples above. You get what you pay for.

The advantage for some of the commercial radios are they can be also programmed for the Ham 70cm band. So if you get your Ham license, if you don't already have it, you can use one radio for both services.

If you plan on using the radio in a mobile setting consider an antenna connector adapter and external antenna at a minimum. While you can use the radio handheld with the small screw on antenna inside of the vehicle the range will be noticeably reduced.

Others here have their favorite recommendations. 

The only newer ones I have found so far are the:

Midland gxt1000

Tera tr-505

Garmin rino 700

You'll get yourself all twisted up trying to find "Legal" Part 95a radios with Type Certification.  Especially if you want a certain standard of actual (not just advertised) performance.

Take a deep breath, and go searching the FCC violations for ANY instance where a user was fined specifically for using Part 90 radios in GMRS.  You'll search high & low without finding a single instance.

Your options for good (and relatively inexpensive) radios increases dramatically once you take the step over to Part 90 equipment (which meets or exceeds all Part 95 technical spec's.)

I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary. Caveat emptor, etc.

You'll get yourself all twisted up trying to find "Legal" Part 95a radios with Type Certification.  Especially if you want a certain standard of actual (not just advertised) performance.

Take a deep breath, and go searching the FCC violations for ANY instance where a user was fined specifically for using Part 90 radios in GMRS.  You'll search high & low without finding a single instance.

Your options for good (and relatively inexpensive) radios increases dramatically once you take the step over to Part 90 equipment (which meets or exceeds all Part 95 technical spec's.)

I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary. Caveat emptor, etc.

I understand what you're saying.  Just trying to find out what is out there in newer models that have that specific approval so my friends don't worry.

If I remember correctly, there was a shakeup with the exact section of Part 95 with the rules change in 2017.

The older radios will show either a "Part 95" certification, or "Part 95A" in the grant for GMRS. The FCC reworked the rules back in 2018 when they became effective. Some of the sub parts, A - B etc., got changed around so they don't match up. The link below high lights the changes

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/appendix-A_to_part_95

Look at the first entry in the list for GMRS. The rule sub part name change does not invalidate the radio's original FCC certification.

• 4 weeks later...

Are the baofeung handhelds legal to use with a gmrs lic ?

as far as i know:  (others, feel free to correct me if/where i'm wrong)

it depends which handhelds you mean.  the GMRS-V1, yes, since it's certified for GMRS use.

most others (uv5r, bf-f8/f9-hp, uv82, etc), no, primarily due to lack of certification required for legal gmrs use.

Are the baofeung handhelds legal to use with a gmrs lic ?

it depends which handhelds you mean.  the GMRS-V1, yes, since it's certified for GMRS use. ...

Technically, the GMRS-V1 is not a Baofeng. Although manufactured by Baofeng, it has customized firmware and is sold under the BTECH brand name and it Is BTECH who have certified the radio with the FCC.  AFAIK, no Baofeng branded radios are GMRS certified.

... most others (uv5r, bf-f8/f9-hp, uv82, etc), no, primarily due to lack of certification required for legal gmrs use.

The sole requirement for legal use on GMRS is FCC Part95-E Certification (Previously Part95-A). 

47 CFR § 95.1761 - GMRS transmitter certification.

(a) Each GMRS transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the GMRS) must be certified in accordance with this subpart and part 2 of this chapter.

(b A grant of equipment certification for the GMRS will not be issued for any GMRS transmitter type that fails to comply with the applicable rules in this subpart.

[... ...]

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, after 20+ years the 75-820 is going away... hard to believe... I still have mine, purchased from Bill2Ways back in 1997... wow... time flies...

G.

I think by the end of 2020 Midland will have some good offerings for GMRS.. My understanding is they (Midland) have addressed some of the issues with their Micromobile product line.

For starters, Midland's future products will accommodate split PL Tones, and include the NOAA Weather Channels.

I hear they will be dropping their CB product line altogether, and pushing GMRS as an alternative to cellular and amateur/CB communications services. 

Product offerings will only get better over time once Midland sets the standard for Part 95E devices offered to consumers.

Just my 2 cents..

Russ

Wow, after 20+ years the 75-820 is going away... hard to believe... I still have mine, purchased from Bill2Ways back in 1997... wow... time flies...

G.

I don't think Midland has been selling too many CB's for a long time. The Export (Galaxy, Ranger, etc..) radios have dominated the 11 meter market for about 30 years... Wow, it doesn't seem that long ago that Radio Shack was the #1 place in America to purchase CB Gear, sheeeesh, seems like yesterday :(

Guest R James

For what it's worth, I've sent two emails to Midland and have received radio silence (no pun intended).

And these follow up on a conversation I had with a sales associate.

It's been about three weeks and still no one has gotten back to me.

(I've made it clear that i'd like to make a sizeable purchase. A micromobile base station and a handheld or two. Plus some accessories.)

I know these are unusual times - but this has not left me with a great impression.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest R James

For what it's worth, I've sent two emails to Midland and have received radio silence (no pun intended).

And these follow up on a conversation I had with a sales associate.

It's been about three weeks and still no one has gotten back to me.

(I've made it clear that i'd like to make a sizeable purchase. A micromobile base station and a handheld or two. Plus some accessories.)

I know these are unusual times - but this has not left me with a great impression.

Make that three emails ....

For what it's worth, I've sent [three] emails to Midland and have received radio silence (no pun intended).

[... ...]

Unfortunately, most big companies are not motivated by such claims of interest. They are thinking about market share, not individual buyers. Also, they know that most such statements are hollow, and, in any case, have no way of being tracked.  Now, if you used a similar approach with a dealer, they might show more interest. And, in turn, the dealer might have more influence with the vendor.