GMRS with a Felony

taco6513

I have an employee that has a felony on this record. The GMRS license asks if you have ever been

convicted of a felony. He keeps getting his phone shut off and need to get him a radio for communications

for work purposes. 

Has anyone been through the process? Does anyone have an example letter? How long does this process take?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
WRCW870

Being convicted of a felony doesn't mean you can't get a Amateur or GMRS license. The question is asked because, following a conference with the FCC and the NCVEC, the government and community at large are looking to make the community safer. The character of the applicant is relevant, as licensees represent the US government and the citizens.

Some examples that will get you denied are convictions for pedophilia, weapons or drug trafficking, human trafficking, acts of terrorism, etc.

If you have a felony 'hit and run' or aggravated battery from 25 years ago, they probably wouldn't flag you.

What I find amazing is, they ask on a radio license application, but someone thought it was a good idea to make it illegal to ask if you are a felon on a job application. SMH

If it were my employee, I'd just get him the cheapest phone and plan available and call it a day.  Good luck.

$15 a month (prepaid on either a 3 month trial, or a year) gets you unlimited talk and text, and 3 gb of high speed data with Mint Mobile (on tmobile's network). 

had them as a little extra data alongside our main lines when we had limited data; only reason i dropped was we went unlimited on the main lines, so the second became redundant. mint was actually doing better on speed and signal than postpaid verizon.

I spoke to a lawyer about this, and they told me there is a statue of limitations, It use to be 10 years, now raised to 15 years. If this felony was 15+ years ago you may of had, then you can check off "NO" legally for both amateur and business class licenses. On a side note, after this time has passed you can also request to have this record sealed, so it doesn't show up in general queries, like a background check for a firearm. You have request a date and go before a judge for this. I suggest bringing a lawyer, and a good reason this is needed.

-Rick