Well, this is exciting.

Ian

I'd like to play with the repeater to be honest. I love my GR1225 in my motorhome, but it does burn alot of power I dont need when dry camping. Id be curious to know the standby current on it and cant seem to find it on the site. I have my GR1225 turned down to 10 watts anyway but with the fan running alot in summer. I have no interest in the handheld units. I assume it has a single antenna port but doesn't really say. If so it may be a good temp repeater for stuff. 

I have no interest in the handheld units. I assume it has a single antenna port but doesn't really say. If so it may be a good temp repeater for stuff.

They do offer it on its own as well if you don't need the handhelds, at $399.cool little plug and play comms package though. Also, I kind of wonder about duty cycle in that small package, and didn't see it listed.

I agree you could build better and cheaper, but the size is the plus side on this thing. I have about 15 repeaters. Smallest I have been able to build is a GR1225 deck only with the duplexer on top of the deck. Still that is not something i can just grab and go. I had stuck it in a small pelican case and works ok, but looking for smaller. I have also built a small HT (based on HT1000) with a duplexer but output power is about 2 watts. Really need about 10 to do what i do with mine. Thats a good compromise by the time i hook up cables and antenna to the box. 

Well, I understand, but based on all the CCR brands I've tested, I would really advice to stay away from anything Retevis, TYT and all their clones. Their receivers are utter garbage... maybe in the middle of the desert they will work well due to not being overloaded front ends... otherwise I'd stay away.

They sell small linear amplifiers that will boost 2W to whatever level you need.  I honestly think an HT1000 is a far better radio than anything cheaply made by Retevis, TYT, etc... 

But understand that is just my opinion. In the end, if you have the money, its worth a try...  so go for it if you think is worth it.

G.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, zero type acceptance on the RT97, despite proudly displaying the FCC logo...

Until this week! Retevis submitted the RT97 for FCC Part 95E approval and got it. The FCC ID is 2ASNSRT97.

The interesting thing is they are only certified for 5W whereas the other RT97's are rated for 10W output.

The best part? You can preorder yours now from myGMRS

I have 2 on the way from China and will place an order for more based on demand. Current ETA is mid-June for the first batch, but no idea how accurate that date is. Shipping to the US has been very slow lately due to the lack of flights from China. There are things I've ordered from early March that still haven't left the country, but they were not Express shipments. 

I think these have potential to explode in popularity for GMRS. Everyone wants cheap repeaters that are plug-n-play, and these are about as cheap as you can get while being type-accepted and not just 2 HTs taped together.

Does it have the ID function available in the controller? Without that it really isn’t useful outside a single license use operation.

I am new, have been reading many threads, see this comment being made often, but i do not understand the requirement. When I read the part on GMRS Station identification  it is clear that the operator of the station is responsible for properly identifying the station they are  transmitting from. The repeater will re-transmit  the GMRS Station identification when it repeats their transmission . Therefore the repeater is not required to identify itself since each operator should have already  identified their station.  

§95.1751   GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph © of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted:

(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and,

(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

( b ) The call sign must be transmitted using voice in the English language or international Morse code telegraphy using an audible tone.

( c ) Any GMRS repeater station is not required to transmit station identification if:

(1) It retransmits only communications from GMRS stations operating under authority of the individual license under which it operates; and,

(2) The GMRS stations whose communications are retransmitted are properly identified in accordance with this section.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=da32e8ab3fc532a1dafa3370f95a6ace&mc=true&node=se47.5.95_11751&rgn=div8

This question is slightly off topic but related to FCC approval of RT97  FCC ID 2ASNSRT97. The FCC website shows a test report  https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=4720800 . In the test report it references Listed Model(s): RT90, RT92, RT93, RT94, RT95, RT98, RT99, RT9000D, RT9550. Does this mean that all of the models are approve by FCC ID 2ASNSRT97?

You are correct. Repeater does NOT need to ID. Its up to the user. I had one tower owner require a call for mine, but it was not required by the FCC.

Rich - Keep us posted. I see value in this box as a quick deploy repeater for some situations and think it would be a good entry level  box for some of those looking to get something online for a small area. I would like to swap out my GR1225 in my MH.

I am new, have been reading many threads, see this comment being made often, but i do not understand the requirement. When I read the part on GMRS Station identification it is clear that the operator of the station is responsible for properly identifying the station they are transmitting from. The repeater will re-transmit the GMRS Station identification when it repeats their transmission . Therefore the repeater is not required to identify itself since each operator should have already identified their station.

( c ) Any GMRS repeater station is not required to transmit station identification if:

(1) It retransmits only communications from GMRS stations operating under authority of the individual license under which it operates; and,

(2) The GMRS stations whose communications are retransmitted are properly identified in accordance with this section.

I think you missed the "and." A repeater does not have to ID itself if both paragraphs (1) and (2) are true. In other words. If all users ID (2) using the call-sign of the repeater owner (1), then, the repeater does not need to ID. Or inversely, if any user operates under any call-sign other than that of the repeater owner, (either (1), (2) or both (1) & (2) are false) then the repeater must ID itself.

I think you missed the "and." A repeater does not have to ID itself if both paragraphs (1) and (2) are true. In other words. If all users ID (2) using the call-sign of the repeater owner (1), then, the repeater does not need to ID. Or inversely, if any user operates under any call-sign other than that of the repeater owner, (either (1), (2) or both (1) & (2) are false) then the repeater must ID itself.

They should really delete the (2) and make it one sentence.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have one and have had it up and running for several weeks. It is posted up on a mountain near me putting it around 1800 feet up. It is powered by a 14 amp hour SLA battery that is solar recharged. I have a simple N9TAX roll up SlimJim for an antenna. It's all just strapped to a tree right now; exposed to the weather.

The solar controller draws .01 amps. The RT97 draws .08 amps during standby. The RT97 draws 2.05 amps during 10 watt transmission. It reaches out 20-25 miles easy but again, it is at 1800 feet so my line of sight is great. 

I have been super impressed with it. It is a great option for off-grid repeater operations. I would include a few images but I don't know where to host the images anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just purchased and received my RT97. My question is, is it possible to add more power when being utilized as a base unit?

You could add an external power amplifier. But why? Unlike CB, and low-band ham radio, where power can significantly affect range, UHF is limited pretty much by line of sight and terrain will usually stop signal propagation well before power becomes an issue,. If you have a specific communications problem you are trying to solve, power might possibly be the answer. But, as a general rule going from 10 to 50 watts just won't buy you very much.  If range is really important, start looking into different antenna options.

• 1 month later...