how do i program GMRS repeaters? Manually UV5R

drpapsmear

Question

so i'm trying to manually program my local repeater, but it shows a in and out freq, how do i program both on 1 channel? offset and shift i know nothing about, not even sure if it needs that information. the repeater is MT.HOLLY 462.625, also is it UHF OR VHF. i think i'm just missing a simple step but i really don't know.

6 answers to this question

My advice is to get the chirp software and a cable.  Cables are cheap and the software's pretty easy to use.

yeah i got that program and the cable doesn't work. seemed to be the easiest thing to do, but evidently there is so many that either only work with a certain firmware version or are fakes. and under the current situation i dont want anything else from china

yeah i got that program and the cable doesn't work. seemed to be the easiest thing to do, but evidently there is so many that either only work with a certain firmware version or are fakes. and under the current situation i dont want anything else from china

It can be a pain getting it to work initially, but worth it in my opinion.  There are some nice tutorials on which cable to buy and how to get the driver loaded properly and then choose the com port.  Good luck man.

I got my USB cable as part of the expansion pack when I bought my UV-5R from BTECH a year ago. I fought for hours trying to get it to work. The next morning I simply plugged the cable (no radio attached) into my laptop and it proceeded to download and install the driver automatically. No problems after that. The COM Port is tricky, but try them all until you find the one that works and then use that one. If you use more than one computer it will probably be different on each.

I am trying to figure out how to connect through a local repeater here right now. I may be getting close.

Enter 462.625 while in VFO mode

Hit MENU, then scroll to SFTD

Hit MENU, then select +

Hit MENU to save

Scroll to OFFSET

Hit MENU, then enter 005.000

Hit MENU to save

If there is a PL tone:

MENU then scroll to R-CTCS

MENU then select the correct PL tone

MENU to save

MENU then scroll to T-CTCS