MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWestern NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJX754

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:59 AM

Happy to report that BTWR has the Authentic Nagoya NA-771G Handheld GMRS Antenna (15.3 Inch / SMA Female)  in stock, I just ordered one and returning my Amazon NA-771 (no G).  I did a side by side check and two 805G with the NA-771G worked the best.  Yes a double blind study with third radio.

https://www.buytwowa...ya-na-771g.html

Yes, I saw and have one without G and dual band.  With the G was designed for BTWR for GMRS only.  I was told material to make antenna is short supply to Nagonya and not available until Jan 2021.

• WRAF233 likes this

#62 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF233

Posted 26 December 2020 - 10:10 AM

Happy to report that BTWR has the Authentic Nagoya NA-771G Handheld GMRS Antenna (15.3 Inch / SMA Female)  in stock, I just ordered one and returning my Amazon NA-771 (no G).  I did a side by side check and two 805G with the NA-771G worked the best.  Yes a double blind study with third radio.

https://www.buytwowa...ya-na-771g.html

What's the difference between 701G & 771G?  They have both in stock.

WRAF233

NE NV

#63 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 26 December 2020 - 10:15 AM

What's the difference between 701G & 771G?  They have both in stock.

Doh.. looked at product description:  701 is 6", 771 is 15".  Lazy bones.  Ordering 3 for all my HT (2 805G and 1 Kenwood 3170).

WRAF233

NE NV

#64 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:39 PM

Thanks Michael, I did find the firmware as you suggested below...  

I was having issue with one of my 805G, thinking it was the new antenna you suggest for Jeep and RV, nor was it Nagoya NA-771G.  

My clue was it was not remembering the root settings like voice, display name not channel and host of other.  I did follow you suggestion on using the exit.  Remember I have two 805G and it works correctly.  

All is good so far, did a radio check on the repeater and works great.  Glad it was just a simple reinstall software.

Thanks,

Jack

I do not know for 100% certain how to determine the firmware version of the radio. The firmware version does not display in the manufacturer’s software that I have found yet. However, it may be one of the values that can be displayed on the radio if you do the following:

Power down the radio.
Press and hold the ‘Up’ button on the front of the radio.
Turn the power back on.
Release the ‘Up’ button.
Press the ‘Up’ button multiple times to step through a series of values. One of those may be firmware version.

Honestly, if I were the FCC, I would not allow field upgradeable firmware in a Personal Radio Service Radio. Doing so would open the door to greater misuse and conversion of a radio authorized for one specific service into a radio that operates on another given current hardware designs. It is mostly, if not only, the firmware today that determines whether some radios performs as one model vs another. Honestly, I would expect the FCC to mandate firmware updates be done by the Importer/manufacturer in much the same way that product recalls are handled. Updates that fix FCC compliance issues free. Feature updates perhaps at a nominal cost.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a technical person and like to do things myself. I also recognize however that there are way to many out there that would do this for nefarious reasons. The easier it is to do, the more rampant it would become. Just like folks buying certain BaoFeng radios for $29 intended for licensed amateur use only and then using them on GMRS for which they are not authorized. They are so cheap, the issue appears widespread.

Regards,

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#65 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:43 PM

No problem.  So 6 or 15 inch?  Which one did you get?  I have the 15 so where mounted goes above the dash.  Plus live in the mountains and my mentor said "it is all in the antenna"

Doh.. looked at product description:  701 is 6", 771 is 15".  Lazy bones.  Ordering 3 for all my HT (2 805G and 1 Kenwood 3170).

#66 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 26 December 2020 - 01:53 PM

No problem.  So 6 or 15 inch?  Which one did you get?  I have the 15 so where mounted goes above the dash.  Plus live in the mountains and my mentor said "it is all in the antenna"

I ordered the 15" since that seems to be the one folks are impressed with.  I'll keep the shorter version to fit in my 2-way radio dry bag for kayak fishing.  I also use the dry bag as a dust bag when hunting in the SxS.

https://www.nrs.com/...ch/?q=uhf radio

WRAF233

NE NV

#67 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 26 December 2020 - 03:05 PM

Great.  I like your dry bag..  I have a mount on my ATV handle bars.  

I ordered the 15" since that seems to be the one folks are impressed with.  I'll keep the shorter version to fit in my 2-way radio dry bag for kayak fishing.  I also use the dry bag as a dust bag when hunting in the SxS.

https://www.nrs.com/...ch/?q=uhf radio

#68 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:06 AM

Great.  I like your dry bag..  I have a mount on my ATV handle bars.  

I also have a Kenwood 25w mobile mounted in my SxS.. works great.

WRAF233

NE NV

#69 mbrun

mbrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRHS965
  • Ham Callsign:KE8PLM

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:53 AM

This just popped up yesterday on YouTube. Thought I would share.

https://youtu.be/mAJmMEd1MZU

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM
  • WRAF233 and MacJack like this

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

#70 O-B-1

O-B-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA
  • GMRS Callsign:WRHW845

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:43 PM

take a look at where the cable plugs into the radio..i noticed it when trying a baofeng speaker mic with the wouxun, there's a rubber gasket around the plugs and the cutouts may be a bit misaligned and in the way of the plugs going all the way in.

Thank you, Sir!

• wayoverthere likes this

Thank you and 73...

O-B-1

"If you have learned nothing new this day, you have wasted the whole day." -MSgt David Hollis, USAF

#71 wayoverthere

wayoverthere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Locationmiddle of CA
  • GMRS Callsign:ask

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:57 PM

Thank you, Sir!

Glad to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic