Wouxun KG-805G GMRS Radio

SeldomSeen

Micheal- thank you for the clarification on where NOAA stations are on the spectrum and how basing GMRS on a particular radio platform (UHF or VHF only or Dual Band and then locking it) affects the overall GMRS capabilities.  That makes my understanding of what GMRS is and what it is not, a lot clearer! 

Wouxon KG-805G Handheld Portable

Pros:

FCC Part 95e Certified

FCC ID: WTWWOUXUN16

5w and .5w power settings.

Wideband and Narrowband capable.

Pre-programmed for 22 simplex channels and 8 repeater pairs.

128 Software programmable programmable memories.

Interoperable with FRS on all channels, Rx and Tx.

CTCSS and DCS squelch code support, usable in any Rx/Tx combination.

Replaceable/upgradable antenna.

Usable in vehicle with mobile antenna.

Ability to customize channel names (6 alpha-numeric characters).

Display channel info by Name, Frequency or Memory (channel) number.

Scan all memories.

Software programmable scan channel skip.

Backlit LCD display, usable outdoors in bright sun or a night.

High and low capacity batteries.

Subjectively high-quality receive and transmit audio quality.

Bright indicator to visually identify if a channel is in use (even when current squelch code does not match radio squelch code).

Software programmable Busy Channel Lockout.

Front panel lockout capability, including auto-lock feature.

Time out Timer to limit transmit duration.

FM radio for those that find this beneficial.

3-Channel Scan Modes.

Sufficient audio level, even when operating in closed vehicle.

Multiple battery capacity sizes available.

Cons:

Flawed Firmware. Radio not properly locked down to prevent unauthorized Tx on other services.

Rotating channel knob does not increment one channel per click unless rotated slowly. A real problem when high-memory count is used.

Signal level meter inaccurate.

No built-in repeater talk-around feature; must be user programmed as a channel instead.

No ability to switch from high and low power in the field to reduce power consumption when high power is not needed.

No NOAA support for those that truly desire that in an HT.

Scan stops and holds on channels even when receive signal does not contain the squelch code set in that channel.

Would not likely survive a drop on solid ground from 6’. Not going to test.

Range could be improved with better receiver.

No ability to scan for squelch codes.

Overall Impression.

I find this be a good entry level HT in the world of GMRS repeater-capable radios, and am glad I purchased it.

Subjectively I find the simplex performance (with stock antenna) only marginally better than the 5-watt early generation Midland GXT1000 radios I have, which suggests similar real-world sensitivity and selectivity. However the audio quality is noticeably better and range is improved to some degree with a premium aftermarket antenna so the ability to upgrade antenna, as well use external antennas is a real plus. It was worth its purchase price when compared to the GXT1000 simplex-only radios.

The power output measured was on par with manufacturer published values.

Would I buy it again if I needed more radios? Yes.

All else being equal but bugs were fixed, I may spend twice for this exact same radio if it featured substantially improved sensitivity and selectivity performance that translated into 2x or more real-world simplex distance when compared to the current generation KG-805G. I would expect some additional features would be necessary to sway others.

Just one man’s opinion.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice review of the KG-805G... I learned a lot from your post and I do have two as a newbie to GMRS.  BTWR suggested them and later to read they played a part in designing them and getting them through the certification process.  No regrets.  

I did add the Authentic Nagoya NA-771G Handheld GMRS Antenna (15.3 Inch / SMA Female) https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-na-771g.html which is out of stock...  Made a big different to reach repeater as the rubber ducky antenna could not do it.  Wait it was one of your post saying it is all in the antenna.  So I'm still waiting to install my Midland MicroMobile MXTA12 Antenna Mag Mount and Midland MicroMobile MXTA26 6db Gain Whip Antenna as awaiting shipment of the cable ends you suggested to complete installation in my Jeep Wrangler JLR.  

Because I have a Mac, I use CHIRP software and can not do some of the things you like.. e.g. select scan channel.  So tell me more about firmware... I do not know how to find what release I have and how do you get and update firmware... I checked Wouxon website for firmware info.  Guess I must use Wouxon software on a pc.

I do like this CCP product, like you will not drop test it yet.  I have said in other posts, I have two adopted Chinese twins girls now in their 50's now, who are so thankful to be here in America and have adult children here as well.  They have felt the loved of so many of Americans... They where victims in China and like American freedom.  They are great girls, my other 4 kids should learn from them.  

So as it comes to products, I look for value, character of the mfg, and who will service the radio...  I'm not pro CCP but people have to do what they have to do in China...  NO spy girlfriends either... political joke.  

In close over 30+ years, I spent 15 years in law enforcement and have used and respect Motorola equipment... and will add them to my select list if I do my own repeater.        

Wouxon KG-805G Handheld Portable

Pros:
Cons:
Overall Impression.

I find this be a good entry level HT in the world of GMRS repeater-capable radios, and am glad I purchased it.

Subjectively I find the simplex performance (with stock antenna) only marginally better than the 5-watt early generation Midland GXT1000 radios I have, which suggests similar real-world sensitivity and selectivity. However the audio quality is noticeably better and range is improved to some degree with a premium aftermarket antenna so the ability to upgrade antenna, as well use external antennas is a real plus. It was worth its purchase price when compared to the GXT1000 simplex-only radios.

The power output measured was on par with manufacturer published values.

Would I buy it again if I needed more radios? Yes.

All else being equal but bugs were fixed, I may spend twice for this exact same radio if it featured substantially improved sensitivity and selectivity performance that translated into 2x or more real-world simplex distance when compared to the current generation KG-805G. I would expect some additional features would be necessary to sway others.

Just one man’s opinion.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Nice review of the KG-805G... I learned a lot from your post and I do have two as a newbie to GMRS.  BTWR suggested them and later to read they played a part in designing them and getting them through the certification process.  No regrets.  

I did add the Authentic Nagoya NA-771G Handheld GMRS Antenna (15.3 Inch / SMA Female) https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-na-771g.html which is out of stock...  Made a big different to reach repeater as the rubber ducky antenna could not do it.  Wait it was one of your post saying it is all in the antenna.  So I'm still waiting to install my Midland MicroMobile MXTA12 Antenna Mag Mount and Midland MicroMobile MXTA26 6db Gain Whip Antenna as awaiting shipment of the cable ends you suggested to complete installation in my Jeep Wrangler JLR.  

Because I have a Mac, I use CHIRP software and can not do some of the things you like.. e.g. select scan channel.  So tell me more about firmware... I do not know how to find what release I have and how do you get and update firmware... I checked Wouxon website for firmware info.  Guess I must use Wouxon software on a pc.

I do like this CCP product, like you will not drop test it yet.  I have said in other posts, I have two adopted Chinese twins girls now in their 50's now, who are so thankful to be here in America and have adult children here as well.  They have felt the loved of so many of Americans... They where victims in China and like American freedom.  They are great girls, my other 4 kids should learn from them.  

So as it comes to products, I look for value, character of the mfg, and who will service the radio...  I'm not pro CCP but people have to do what they have to do in China...  NO spy girlfriends either... political joke.  

In close over 30+ years, I spent 15 years in law enforcement and have used and respect Motorola equipment... and will add them to my select list if I do my own repeater.        

Found the Nagoya NA-771 online but it does not have the 'G' in the model number.  Does it matter and what is the G representing?

Thanks.

I do not know for 100% certain how to determine the firmware version of the radio. The firmware version does not display in the manufacturer’s software that I have found yet. However, it may be one of the values that can be displayed on the radio if you do the following:

Power down the radio.

Press and hold the ‘Up’ button on the front of the radio.

Turn the power back on.

Release the ‘Up’ button.

Press the ‘Up’ button multiple times to step through a series of values. One of those may be firmware version.

Honestly, if I were the FCC, I would not allow field upgradeable firmware in a Personal Radio Service Radio. Doing so would open the door to greater misuse and conversion of a radio authorized for one specific service into a radio that operates on another given current hardware designs. It is mostly, if not only, the firmware today that determines whether some radios performs as one model vs another. Honestly, I would expect the FCC to mandate firmware updates be done by the Importer/manufacturer in much the same way that product recalls are handled. Updates that fix FCC compliance issues free. Feature updates perhaps at a nominal cost.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a technical person and like to do things myself. I also recognize however that there are way to many out there that would do this for nefarious reasons. The easier it is to do, the more rampant it would become. Just like folks buying certain BaoFeng radios for $29 intended for licensed amateur use only and then using them on GMRS for which they are not authorized. They are so cheap, the issue appears widespread.

Regards,

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Nice review of the KG-805G...

...So tell me more about firmware... I do not know how to find what release I have and how do you get and update firmware... I checked Wouxon website for firmware info. Guess I must use Wouxon software on a pc...

Yes, I saw and have one without G and dual band.  With the G was designed for BTWR for GMRS only.  I was told material to make antenna is short supply to Nagonya and not available until Jan 2021.

Found the Nagoya NA-771 online but it does not have the 'G' in the model number.  Does it matter and what is the G representing?

Thanks.

I think you are spot on in your view of FCC and control of the products.  So it not like a computer where you get updates to software and firmware as needed.  

Thanks, this makes sense.

I do not know for 100% certain how to determine the firmware version of the radio. The firmware version does not display in the manufacturer’s software that I have found yet. However, it may be one of the values that can be displayed on the radio if you do the following:

Power down the radio.
Turn the power back on.
Release the ‘Up’ button.
Press the ‘Up’ button multiple times to step through a series of values. One of those may be firmware version.

Honestly, if I were the FCC, I would not allow field upgradeable firmware in a Personal Radio Service Radio. Doing so would open the door to greater misuse and conversion of a radio authorized for one specific service into a radio that operates on another given current hardware designs. It is mostly, if not only, the firmware today that determines whether some radios performs as one model vs another. Honestly, I would expect the FCC to mandate firmware updates be done by the Importer/manufacturer in much the same way that product recalls are handled. Updates that fix FCC compliance issues free. Feature updates perhaps at a nominal cost.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a technical person and like to do things myself. I also recognize however that there are way to many out there that would do this for nefarious reasons. The easier it is to do, the more rampant it would become. Just like folks buying certain BaoFeng radios for $29 intended for licensed amateur use only and then using them on GMRS for which they are not authorized. They are so cheap, the issue appears widespread.

Regards,

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Happy to report that BTWR has the Authentic Nagoya NA-771G Handheld GMRS Antenna (15.3 Inch / SMA Female)  in stock, I just ordered one and returning my Amazon NA-771 (no G).  I did a side by side check and two 805G with the NA-771G worked the best.  Yes a double blind study with third radio.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-na-771g.html

Yes, I saw and have one without G and dual band.  With the G was designed for BTWR for GMRS only.  I was told material to make antenna is short supply to Nagonya and not available until Jan 2021.

Happy to report that BTWR has the Authentic Nagoya NA-771G Handheld GMRS Antenna (15.3 Inch / SMA Female)  in stock, I just ordered one and returning my Amazon NA-771 (no G).  I did a side by side check and two 805G with the NA-771G worked the best.  Yes a double blind study with third radio.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-na-771g.html

What's the difference between 701G & 771G?  They have both in stock.

Thanks Michael, I did find the firmware as you suggested below...  

I was having issue with one of my 805G, thinking it was the new antenna you suggest for Jeep and RV, nor was it Nagoya NA-771G.  

My clue was it was not remembering the root settings like voice, display name not channel and host of other.  I did follow you suggestion on using the exit.  Remember I have two 805G and it works correctly.  

All is good so far, did a radio check on the repeater and works great.  Glad it was just a simple reinstall software.

Thanks,

Jack

Power down the radio.
Turn the power back on.
Release the ‘Up’ button.

Regards,

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

No problem.  So 6 or 15 inch?  Which one did you get?  I have the 15 so where mounted goes above the dash.  Plus live in the mountains and my mentor said "it is all in the antenna"

Doh.. looked at product description:  701 is 6", 771 is 15".  Lazy bones.  Ordering 3 for all my HT (2 805G and 1 Kenwood 3170).

No problem.  So 6 or 15 inch?  Which one did you get?  I have the 15 so where mounted goes above the dash.  Plus live in the mountains and my mentor said "it is all in the antenna"

I ordered the 15" since that seems to be the one folks are impressed with.  I'll keep the shorter version to fit in my 2-way radio dry bag for kayak fishing.  I also use the dry bag as a dust bag when hunting in the SxS.

https://www.nrs.com/search/?q=uhf+radio

Great.  I like your dry bag..  I have a mount on my ATV handle bars.  

I ordered the 15" since that seems to be the one folks are impressed with.  I'll keep the shorter version to fit in my 2-way radio dry bag for kayak fishing.  I also use the dry bag as a dust bag when hunting in the SxS.

https://www.nrs.com/search/?q=uhf+radio

• 1 month later...

Update: I managed to get mine to work... Had to push real hard to get it to make connection in the jacks. Not sure whether the radio's jacks are the issue or the PC interface cable plugs are the issue...

Wow, I was having this problem as well, getting very frustrating. so I unplugged the cable from the radio, held the radio sideway and pushed the plug in evenly and heard it click. Now it works, I believe it getting the plug to properly seat.

Thanks for the info, saved me from pulling what little hair I have out.