Wouxun KG-805G GMRS Radio

SeldomSeen

I just found the proper software on the Buy Two Way Radios page for the radio. If people would mention this on their posts it would be a big help for those searching for it. I was happy to see you can use the Baofeng cable. I also downloaded the owners manual so I should be good to go now. Thank ya'll for the help!

Jerry Swindle Jr.

WRJU443

The reseller has videos on how to use the software as well.

I just found the proper software on the Buy Two Way Radios page for the radio. If people would mention this on their posts it would be a big help for those searching for it. I was happy to see you can use the Baofeng cable. I also downloaded the owners manual so I should be good to go now. Thank ya'll for the help!

Jerry Swindle Jr.

WRJU443

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to use the manufacturer’s software for this. Here is a link to a video showing how.

The manufacturer software does not use the +/- option. Instead they require you to enter the exact transmit and receive frequency.

For simplex channels, set transmit and receive frequencies the same using valid GMRS frequencies. For repeater channels, use one of the 8 main GMRS 462 MHz frequencies for receive, and then a 467 MHz frequency (exactly 5 MHz higher that Rx) in the transmit column.

NOAA frequencies are not support on KG-805G.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I just got my 805G and I can't figure out how to set the + or - or the offset. Please help!

Update: Seems to work automatically on frequency mode. Still unable to get NOAA loaded via software. No biggie.

Has anyone saved a repeater setup and then tested using that memory setting to transmit.

I'm a newbie to GMRS, but not to tuning/coding/programming.

I started with Motorola MS350R years ago.

Then the BTECH GMRS-V1 and didn't realize that is will not transmit from the saved memory channels.

I have about 20 repeaters saves, as I travel through out my state and nearby states.

This is a killer for me, I'm not going to have a cheat sheet and change setting while drive around.

I ordered the KG-805G and waiting for the BSR KG-UV9G to get certified and released.

It sounds like the best or sill be the best GMRS HT.

Also waiting for the MTX275

Does the KG-805G have the Superheterodyne receiver?

I've heard the difference between the on-ship (BTECH) and the SuperHet

Thanks and take care

The KG-805G has 128 available memories. All memories can be used for your choice of simplex and repeater configurations, and this includes your choice of CTCSS and DCS codes in any Rx-Tx combination you may need.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Has anyone saved a repeater setup and then tested using that memory setting to transmit.

Then the BTECH GMRS-V1 and didn't realize that is will not transmit from the saved memory channels.

I have about 20 repeaters saves, as I travel through out my state and nearby states.

This is a killer for me, I'm not going to have a cheat sheet and change setting while drive around.

I ordered the KG-805G and waiting for the BSR KG-UV9G to get certified and released.

Thanks and take care

Thanks and take care

Yes to both questions, at least per what buytwowayradios has for info.

Have tested transmit outside the base 30 slots as well, and can confirm it. I have two local repeaters on 16, with each in their own slots, plus a second "spare" set of repeater

slots for travel.

• 3 weeks later...

Basic question on KG-805G repeater setup. Does this unit automatically TX on say channel Repeater 15 then 5MHz above or below to RC. For example: receiving on 462.550 and transmitting on 467.550 without programing out of the box?

Thanks.

Out of the box, the KG-805G is pre-programmed with 22 simplex channels and 8 repeater channels.

The simplex channels are programmed into memories 1-22. The repeater channels are programmed into memories 23-30.

All you must do to make a repeater channel work with a given repeater is to program in CTCSS or DCS code(s) that the specific repeater requires you to use. This can be done through the front panel controls of your radio.

Yes, the correct frequencies are already programmed in for repeater memories. Tx is on the main 467 frequencies, Rx is on the main 462 frequencies.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

First thanks for taking the time for this newbie...

So am I overthinking this.  So if the 15 repeater channel is 462.550 and ctc tone 167.9.  Then got to 467.550 and enter ctc tone to 167.9 as operator said ctc on both RX TX.  That is it?  

This is what the operator wrote which makes me think he programed his units:  

I’d put in the tone for R/T both- once you do you’ll stop hearing the Morse code from the repeater. If you’re talking about the +5MHz shift, you will need to activate that on the 550 channel. That in combination with the tone should let the radio access the repeater and improve distance tremendously 

You should be receiving on 462.550 and transmitting on 467.550. You might be able accomplish that through a + shift as long as it’s configured to be 5MHz.

Thanks.

Out of the box, the KG-805G is pre-programmed with 22 simplex channels and 8 repeater channels.

The simplex channels are programmed into memories 1-22. The repeater channels are programmed into memories 23-30.

All you must do to make a repeater channel work with a given repeater is to program in CTCSS or DCS code(s) that the specific repeater requires you to use. This can be done through the front panel controls of your radio.

Yes, the correct frequencies are already programmed in for repeater memories. Tx is on the main 467 frequencies, Rx is on the main 462 frequencies.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

The answer to your question has everything to do we how you attempting to configure the radio. My original answer to your question is predicated on you using the front panel of the radio and that the radio is still loaded with the stock channel configuration that BuyTwoWayRadio ships loaded in every radio.

Can you please clarify for me how you are attempting to configure the radio? Front Panel or external software. If you are attempting to use external software, what software?

Michael

WHRS965

KE8PLM

So am I overthinking this. So if the 15 repeater channel is 462.550 and ctc tone 167.9. Then got to 467.550 and enter ctc tone to 167.9 as operator said ctc on both RX TX. That is it?

I’d put in the tone for R/T both- once you do you’ll stop hearing the Morse code from the repeater. If you’re talking about the +5MHz shift, you will need to activate that on the 550 channel. That in combination with the tone should let the radio access the repeater and improve distance tremendously

You should be receiving on 462.550 and transmitting on 467.550. You might be able accomplish that through a + shift as long as it’s configured to be 5MHz.

Thanks.

So am I overthinking this. So if the 15 repeater channel is 462.550 and ctc tone 167.9. Then got to 467.550 and enter ctc tone to 167.9 as operator said ctc on both RX TX. That is it?

Thanks.

Overthinking a little, but understandably. Valid considerations if you were setting up a non gmrs radio. The part 95 stuff (btech and k805g) has a lot of it covered already, though.

Assuming stock programming, channel "rept15" already has the +5MHz shift set. Just set the radio to that channel, go into the menu and look for the "t-ctcss" option, and set the tone accordingly, and hit menu to set. If you want to set it on the receive side as well, look for the r-ctcss option next, and set the tone there as well.

Thank you for help and insight... I got it to work on both of my settings.  It is one of those things, where you have to ask and enough folks give you the answer for the puzzle piece you are missing.

The answer to your question has everything to do we how you attempting to configure the radio. My original answer to your question is predicated on you using the front panel of the radio and that the radio is still loaded with the stock channel configuration that BuyTwoWayRadio ships loaded in every radio.

Can you please clarify for me how you are attempting to configure the radio? Front Panel or external software. If you are attempting to use external software, what software?

Michael
WHRS965
KE8PLM

I see that I've many replies and should say thank you ALL for help and insight...

I got it to work on both of my test settings this afternoon with the repeater operator.  Family so happy on this family hobby.  Since BTWR was closed for the holiday.  I had to import radio factory setting using CHRIP software to see what was going on.  In doing so I saw via the programing software which showed it was not setup for +5 on duplexing.   Just a side note, being a newbie, I asked BTWR before purchasing if they would set up this first repeater channel for me.... BTWR reply NO.  I will say BTWR was helpful in getting me to pick this KG-805G and very help with it.  Now I'm open for any other HT I should be looking at as I only have this one plus an old FRS unit.

I hope I did not offend anyone with my repeated questions.  It is one of those things, where you have to ask enough folks as everyone see things from different points of view.  Sure I did not ask the right questions as I did not know what they where.  So asking gave me many answers to the puzzle piece I was missing.  You all played a part getting me to be successful in front of family and kids during the first radio check with repeater.  Must thankful for the PM answers these guys gave just the right on out of the view of others.  Be patience and helpful to us newbie as we are the future of GMRS...  

You guys have been a good witness to me and my kids of caring, helpful teachers, that what make you so great in my eyes... 

P.S. Now for any Newbie with Wouxun KG-805G GMRS Radio, feel free to call on me... I can be one of those puzzle piece you need for the question you have no clue how to ask it.  We will PM several times until we get it right thus not boring others on the forum.

So far I use my KG-805G the most, even trying it in the car with a AMP.

Out of the 3 different HTs that's i've tried out.

Best receive signal of all. Cleaner and louder thanks to the SuperHet reciever.

I am also waiting for the new KG-UV9G to be certified and released.

That might end up being a very powerful HT.

I've seen the KG-UV9P, and its really nice.

https://bettersaferadio.com/bsr-wouxun-kg-uv9g-gmrs-two-way-radio-scanner/

Just my .02 cents, but haven't gotten into the Icom or Kenwood,,, yet.  lol

I just got my 805G and I can't figure out how to set the + or - or the offset. Please help!

Update: Seems to work automatically on frequency mode. Still unable to get NOAA loaded via software. No biggie.

I think the frequencies have to be in the 400MHz range for the KG-805G... NOAA is down lower in the 100MHz range, if I am not mistaken.

So far I use my KG-805G the most, even trying it in the car with a AMP.

Out of the 3 different HTs that's i've tried out.

Best receive signal of all. Cleaner and louder thanks to the SuperHet reciever.

I am also waiting for the new KG-UV9G to be certified and released.

That might end up being a very powerful HT.

I've seen the KG-UV9P, and its really nice.

https://bettersaferadio.com/bsr-wouxun-kg-uv9g-gmrs-two-way-radio-scanner/

Just my .02 cents, but haven't gotten into the Icom or Kenwood,,, yet.  lol

I appears that the only band usable in 2-way mode (TX) is GMRS.  Is the "No Transmit" on down the list, including ham, hardware restricted or could ham frequencies be used for coms with the proper ham ticket? 

The KG-805 is a single band radio.

So the KG-805G is UHF only and limited to TX to the GMRS range 462-467.

I had MURS and NOAA in my setup in CHIRP for my BTECH GMRS-V1.

When I imported in into and sent it to the KG-805G, the "other" memories were erased.

The coming KG-UV9G is a true multi band RX on 7 bands, not just the normal 2 bands that dual band radios have.

8-)

• 2 weeks later...

My KG-805G was great until it wasn't.  The display screen went blank. The backlight still worked, but no characters appear. The audio annunciator works, and the radio TX/RX  perfectly. I contacted BTWR, and they sent me a return authorization w/in 24 hrs. I am patiently waiting for the replacement.

I think the frequencies have to be in the 400MHz range for the KG-805G... NOAA is down lower in the 100MHz range, if I am not mistaken.

So if I understand what you are implying, the 805G (or any GMRS) will not be able to receive NOAA due to those freqs being locked out?  

The KG-805 is a single band radio.

So the KG-805G is UHF only and limited to TX to the GMRS range 462-467.

I had MURS and NOAA in my setup in CHIRP for my BTECH GMRS-V1.

When I imported in into and sent it to the KG-805G, the "other" memories were erased.

The coming KG-UV9G is a true multi band RX on 7 bands, not just the normal 2 bands that dual band radios have.

8-)

So what I'm hearing you say is hold off on a purchase until the release this one? 

So if I understand what you are implying, the 805G (or any GMRS) will not be able to receive NOAA due to those freqs being locked out?

There is no consequential prohibition on which frequencies the radio can receive on, there are restrictions on which frequencies the radio can transmit on.

NOAA frequencies live in the VHF Spectrum. GMRS is the UHF spectrum. The radio that the 805G is based on is a UHF only radio so it does not have NOAA capability.

There are many GMRS radios with NOAA capability, the 805G is just not one of them. Wouxun does have a model pending FCC approval that will have NOAA plus a basic 7-band analog scanner. The radio is already advertised and will cost twice as much (KG-UV9G).

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM