New GMRS in Brooklyn

jonnylocks

Hi all, 

I am new to this forum and new to GMRS. 

I am trying to get into radios because i've decided to take steps towards preparedness, considering COVID-19 and the pattern of recent disasters in my home town of New York. An elderly family member, also in Brooklyn, recently lost her cell phone charger and was quarantined. A replacement from Amazon would take weeks. I thought a radio would come in handy if we can both access repeaters. Another friend and relative not too far away (within 3 miles) also bought radios (Baofengs) and we are seeking to be connected, if possible, by local repeaters.

Any active GMRS groups out there in Brooklyn with protocols and regular check-ins? I'm looking to connect with any community that exists, especially people involved in emergency preparedness. No one seems to be responding to my requests for access to the handful of member repeaters that are on the mygmrs map.

I'm looking for a good centralized source of information about GMRS and radios. I understand the very basics. Frequencies, ctcs tones, CHIRP, etc. I am watching many different youtube videos and reading many articles. Much is scattered all around. Any direction here appreciated. 

I ordered a slim jim antenna for my roof (i'm on the sixth floor just below it) and Nagoya NA-771. While a friend can hear me on the Brooklyn "open repeater", I can't seem to hear him. Any thoughts on this? I figure if they can hear me, as well as repeater tones, etc. shouldn't they be within range of the repeater so that I might be receive their transmissions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I said anything silly as a radio rookie!

Best,

Jonny

WRFP393

RF is a bit funny when you enter cities. GMRS radios in the country can typically get 5 miles with little obstruction, the same radio in the city may only get a couple blocks at best due to the extra metal and concrete which kills RF signals. Getting on a repeater would be your best bet. There are a few in your area, Open-700 should be free to use and is open to all members, so that should be your first connection. Its last update was Feb2020 so it should be up and running, and it has very good coverage.

Zombie watch seems to be a prepper group and NYCEC BKNY South & Omega are run and operated by first responders and may require FD, EMS, LEO, CERT, REACT, RACES, or other emergency group affiliation to join.

On a side note, I have never had luck with Chirp. I do have the program but I often screw up with it. You may wish to double and triple check your programming to see if there is a goof with the radio.

• 3 years later...
42 minutes ago, CM718NY said:

Jonny,

I'm in the same boat you were in 3 years ago ... I have the same issues! Have you had any luck finding a group or MAG? I also live in Brklyn, and I'm looking to join or start a GMRS unit in my area.

Thank you,

Chris M. (WRXY718)

Jonnylocks hasn’t been here in over three years.