Yet more questions from Newbie

pwindsor

Hello all, I hope you are all safe and healthy...

In February 2020 I was introduced to Ham & GMRS radio. I am a bit of a techie and I was asked to help program someones radio (GMRS); so I read up on it and now I can't get enough. I feel like a kid with some new toys. So here are my questions, and I apologize for the "basic-ness" of them.

1.) I have a handheld radio (lets not discuss which one as not to start a debate). When I am outside I get a fairly good signal, on Sunday night I tune into the "National GMRS Net" where I hear people from all over the US. Its awesome! (I have yet to transmit as I am awaiting permission from the owner of the repeater to be on his repeater). I have noticed that when I go inside my home into my office (which is in the basement) I get ZERO signal. So my first simple question is this:  Is there a good antenna I can get that I can place in my attic (two story home so the antenna would be technically on the third level)? Will it work in the attic or do I have to place it outside? (okay I admit that is actually more than one question).

2.) For the record, this next question is gonna be stretching it and may qualify as an actual "stupid question". A few weeks back on the "National GMRS Net" (March 29) it sounded like there was a way to connect into the GMRS network via your computer or mobile phone. In the process of educating myself I came across DMR radios (I understand you need your HAM license for that). Is there something similar where I can have an antenna that converts my analog signal into a digital one, which then gets pushed into the internet and out to the "National GMRS Net" OR can I use a DMR radio connected to a DMR "Hot Spot" in my home to talk on the GMRS network?

Ok I have a few more questions, but your responses to the above questions may alter my next set of questions..

Thanks again for your assistance

Patrick A Windsor II

WRFF363

Howdy!!!  Welcome.

This is strictly 'use at your own risk' and opinion based on my experience.

1.) I have a handheld radio (lets not discuss which one as not to start a debate). When I am outside I get a fairly good signal, on Sunday night I tune into the "National GMRS Net" where I hear people from all over the US. Its awesome! (I have yet to transmit as I am awaiting permission from the owner of the repeater to be on his repeater). I have noticed that when I go inside my home into my office (which is in the basement) I get ZERO signal. So my first simple question is this:  Is there a good antenna I can get that I can place in my attic (two story home so the antenna would be technically on the third level)? Will it work in the attic or do I have to place it outside? (okay I admit that is actually more than one question).

So, I would hate to say it, but the antenna thing depends greatly on the radio you have.  I have a diamond X50 repeater antenna on my roof and about 125 feet of cable to get from the roof to the basement. 

The BTech handheld I have (which is fine for the most part) doesn't create enough power to overcome the cable losses to trip a repeater that is less than 3 miles away, even though I can full-quiet the same repeater from the driveway.  Also, it can't hear the repeater.  So, the external antenna is not an option for that radio.

BUT...

The Yaesu HT I have can use the same cable and antenna to receive a repeater signal from 35 miles away.  Plus, with 5 watts the audio is a bit scratchy, but I can get into that same repeater.

So, if you have a high quality radio, get some RF9913 and an antenna like an X200 and you should be fine.  It will cost you about $500-$600, but it should work.

2.) For the record, this next question is gonna be stretching it and may qualify as an actual "stupid question". A few weeks back on the "National GMRS Net" (March 29) it sounded like there was a way to connect into the GMRS network via your computer or mobile phone. In the process of educating myself I came across DMR radios (I understand you need your HAM license for that). Is there something similar where I can have an antenna that converts my analog signal into a digital one, which then gets pushed into the internet and out to the "National GMRS Net" OR can I use a DMR radio connected to a DMR "Hot Spot" in my home to talk on the GMRS network?

Sadly, I can't help with this one.  I am a computer scientist by trade.  The last thing I want to do when I am not working is get more screen time.  All my radio comms are analog and OTA.

I'll have to look for the thread, but I saw a mention of the Tucson gmrs club having something set up for desktop/mobile app access to the repeater to join the net.

edit: the thread i was thinking of is: https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1777-gmrs-net/?hl=tucson&do=findComment&comment=15251

there's also this about the larger level net that gets going: https://tucsongmrs.org/index.php/gmrs/national-gmrs-net/

• 2 weeks later...