Repeater Linking?

taco6513

I have jumped off into this. The tower operator that I have my repeater on told me $10 per month for a low volume internet connection.

I have contacted MYGMRS.com and ordered the linking kit from this site. Will need to get out the programming software for my 

ICOM FR-4000 and see if I can figure it out.

OK, Here is my question. This is what I would like to do. I would like to link one tone (ctcss or dcs) to another repeater or network.

The research I have done says I need a multi port repeater controller. What type or model would I need? What is the best and then 

what is the best bang for the buck?

Any other information you would feel I need to know please provide.

Thanks

WRCW870

The MyGMRS link allows you to link/unlink as needed using DTMF codes. I commonly link to Rich's repeater and weekly to the national link (node 100) You can link by typing *3###### (# represents the node number) and disconnect *1#####. So, if you wanted to connect to my node, you would type *323407 and to disconnect would be *123407. There are other commands as well. *70 tells you the status of the repeater. *2 allows you to monitor a node without talking over it. I believe *813##### is a permanent connection to a node (Example, if you run 2 repeaters and want to keep them connected always) and *811##### disconnects a permanent repeater.

The OP wants to support multiple tones on his repeater, so only one PL tone will go over the link and another can be local. I don't think any of us on the group run it this way, we only link wide-area when we want to (i.e. for the net).

Asterisk/app_rpt support PL decoding in the software, but it's slower and less reliable than letting the repeater do the decoding. Even then, I don't remember offhand if you can program one tone to be local and another to be linked that way.

If he really wants to do the multiple tone thing, then he'll need a controller that will activate one port for the myGMRS link when the proper tone is received. If anyone has experience with multi-tone panels, that's what he's asking about.

If you're the only one keeping the linking commands (rather than handing them out to every user on the system), then you can be in control of how and when you're linked. You don't need to be connected to another repeater 24/7, it's up to you. 

https://link.mygmrs.com/map

If you look at the map above, you'll see some repeaters are linked 24/7 regionally (i.e. the midwest) and some aren't connected at all normally. Then when they want to, like during the weekly net, they connect to another node such as 100 to go Nationwide. So that's why none of the systems really need a private tone just for linking.

I stumbled across something similar in the ham spectrum in CA...it may be similar to what you're thinking of, and you may dig into whether there is info on how their system is set up (I think I saw mention of echolink). (CARLA - http://www.carlaradio.net/thesystem/pl_ct.php )

It's been discussed in some of the repeater linking threads (and I'll leave the details to those with the knowledge...mine is very slim), but I remember there being some potential legal issue with ham focused software for the linking, or maybe it was that linking between ham and gmrs being forbidden.

The top 2 manufacturers for these type of ultra-configurable repeater controllers used by ham and commercial installations are SCOM and Arcom.

www.scomcontrollers.com/new/

www.arcomcontrollers.com/

For the multiple tone link-unlink access, you probably need the SCOM 7330.

From my research. The Arcom RC210 controller is the one I have found the most information on.

Found lots on  Radio Reference web forums. We have a local ham repeater that is set up in 

this manner. One tone is local and the other connects to 5 other repeaters in this half of the

state. I will contact Arcom next week for more information.

Also Rich, When I change the operating mode from "Repeater" to "Base Mode" will that change the ability to use the current 16 operating tones?

Should get the hardware today. Will contact the tower operator next week to start work on getting internet to the controller.

Thanks

WRCW870

Have been trying to contact the operator of the 550 machine in OKC to talk to him about linking possibilities.

The hardware shows "sold out". When do you beleave more will be available?

Rich Thank you for your web site and the knowledge your forum members provide.

THANK YOU!

From my research. The Arcom RC210 controller is the one I have found the most information on.

Found lots on  Radio Reference web forums. We have a local ham repeater that is set up in 

this manner. One tone is local and the other connects to 5 other repeaters in this half of the

state. I will contact Arcom next week for more information.

Also Rich, When I change the operating mode from "Repeater" to "Base Mode" will that change the ability to use the current 16 operating tones?

Should get the hardware today. Will contact the tower operator next week to start work on getting internet to the controller.

Thanks

WRCW870

Have been trying to contact the operator of the 550 machine in OKC to talk to him about linking possibilities.

The hardware shows "sold out". When do you beleave more will be available?

Rich Thank you for your web site and the knowledge your forum members provide.

THANK YOU!

Changing from repeater to base mode will stop the automatic repeat function of the built-in controller. Instead, it will behave like 2 radios, one receiving and one transmitting. Then it's up to the external controller (whether that's the linking bundle or the RC210) to decide when a valid condition happens and repeats the audio to the transmitter (and keys it up in doing so). It doesn't change how the 16 programmed tones work. You can even set the Arcom to do the decoding.

I will have more in stock in about a week, but the prices have gone up $10+ for me, so I'm going to have to bump the price a little. I think the supply problems are driving the price up, which is a bummer but at least they're still available.