Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFV692
  • Ham Callsign:KE8OWX

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:01 PM

For a small part of the path to the repeater... that's it.  That's not real contact.

I had someone bragging to me about a 2m C4FM contact to an operator in Japan over a digital group and he logged it as a JP contact in his log.  I told him to give me a break.  If using my radio to go 2.5 miles to an internet-linked repeater and digital chatroom counts as a JP contact, I may as well just call a random person in Japan on the phone and count that as a JP contact, too.

I agree with you that it shouldn't count for your State/Country search, but the fact that you can do it and still technically be on the radio and working on your contact skills is pretty intriguing. 

#62 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

I agree with you that it shouldn't count for your State/Country search, but the fact that you can do it and still technically be on the radio and working on your contact skills is pretty intriguing. 

Don't get me wrong... I was taught that the two main objectives of Amateur Radio was to promote international good will and to further the technology.  The only limits on tech that I am aware of is that you are not allowed to run encryption or anything that is designed to hide the true meaning of the communications and your new protocol(s) need to be published publicly before they are used beyond development.  Beyond that, the sky is the limit. 

The fact that you can do it is pretty cool.  It took some sharp and creative people to come up with the idea and bring it to life.  But as an RF communications person, I have been groomed (and been grooming others) to no be reliant on underlying sub-systems for communications, because those systems fail.  For two-way peer to peer radio to fail, we would have to have a catastrophic atmospheric conditions that would kill all carbon based life on Earth, before radio completely stopped working.

#63 tweiss3

tweiss3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFV692
  • Ham Callsign:KE8OWX

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:17 PM

Don't get me wrong... I was taught that the two main objectives of Amateur Radio was to promote international good will and to further the technology.  The only limits on tech that I am aware of is that you are not allowed to run encryption or anything that is designed to hide the true meaning of the communications and your new protocol(s) need to be published publicly before they are used beyond development.  Beyond that, the sky is the limit. 

The fact that you can do it is pretty cool.  It took some sharp and creative people to come up with the idea and bring it to life.  But as an RF communications person, I have been groomed (and been grooming others) to no be reliant on underlying sub-systems for communications, because those systems fail.  For two-way peer to peer radio to fail, we would have to have a catastrophic atmospheric conditions that would kill all carbon based life on Earth, before radio completely stopped working.

I'm especially impressed that the hardware is in the $100 range. Though, you do have to be into digital, with the exception of AllStar and Echolink (by my understanding). 

Do I want to get into digital (DMR most likely), yes. Is it really going to be usable when things fail? I doubt it. With the internet outages, cell phone outages, etc. going on recently, and the other mess of destruction people are bringing, can't count on anything. I have a feeling some of the local repeater towers would last without commercial power, but then you are still stuck to that RF range. I understand one could do DMR simplex, but the chances of finding someone out on DMR in a bad situation that have the same color and talk group programmed on the frequency is highly unlikely.

EDIT: What do I know though, I don't even have my license yet (testing next week), so I can't speak on the actual difficulties of digital and linking.

#64 kidphc

kidphc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationPotomac, MD
  • GMRS Callsign:WRDD287
  • Ham Callsign:W3HRD

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:10 AM

Big negative to IRLP/digital over the internet is that if you have an infrastructure failure you may lose the whole system or at least large parts of it.

Sooooo. Marc you MARS certified?

#65 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:08 AM

Sooooo. Marc you MARS certified?

No, but the Army and Air Force have been asking me to join every few months for years.  I keep turning them down because I could be deployed outside the US.  MARS doesn't pay, so I need to keep working while serving. 

I can do my regular job remotely while on a deployment (during down time) domestically, but I can't VPN in if I am overseas unless I get special hardware.  My main served agency will only give me that hardware if they are the ones deploying me.

So, no MARS or CAP service until I retire.

#66 kidphc

kidphc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationPotomac, MD
  • GMRS Callsign:WRDD287
  • Ham Callsign:W3HRD

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

Yeah figured it was something like that with you seaming to be heavy into public service.

Just found out that the MARS anntennas are protected by the DOJ.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users