Things are going great

ctrout

So I got my license maybe two weeks ago and I'm having a great time with GMRS even though I'm the only person on the air within a 35 mile radius.  The FCC database shows 6 other active licensees in my town but I never hear them on.  The most I hear is a couple of scratchy signals on FRS from local businesses. 

Regardless, I got my repeater up and running yesterday on the 550.  I have a 123 PL tone on the machine to keep the intermod and errant RFI to a minimum.  The duplexer arrived so I spent the evening tuning it on the NanoVNA and got it pretty precisely dialed in.  Now I just need to do some tests to see what kind of range I get out of it at low level.  According to the coverage map that I generated at the Radio Mobile website, I should easily cover my entire small town.  

So far, the family equipment consists of a Kenwood TK-370G-1 for me and a couple of TK-370-1s for the others in the family.  I got the good radio because I also do SAR for the local sheriff so I wanted the ability to have the extra channels and the narrow band capability.  Building the repeater and programming the Motorola Radius M1225 radios for the repeater was far easier than I thought it would be and tuning the duplexer was a fun challenge.  The Kenwood TK-370s are phenomenally well built radios with the added benefit of them all being CHIRP programmable.  The non-G versions are also field programmable. 

My family really isn't interested in radio communications but will likely use the Kenwoods when we are camping in the mountains.  I would really like to get others in my area interested in using the repeater.  I've drafted letters to send out to the other six licensees inviting them to make use of the machine.  I hope it generates some more local interest.

Chris

WRFS756

The Kenwood TK-370s are phenomenally well built radios with the added benefit of them all being CHIRP programmable.  The non-G versions are also field programmable. 

I have both types. I agree the radios are great, particularly the TK-370G-1's. They are also both Part 95 certified too.

I use the official Kenwood software to program the 370G's and Chrip for the 370's. I had issues with Chirp and the 370G's. When trying to organize the frequencies using the "Memory Group" feature Chirp would fail to add frequencies in, some would get deleted and other odd things. It seems to work fine for the 370's which is good because the official software for that model is DOS based. The down side is you don't have access to all of the features in the radio.

For the 370G you want the "KPG-56Dv422.zip" file. This works with Windows 10 by the way. You will need some kind of serial number to install the software which should be included in a text file in the download. This software gives you full access to ALL of the radio's features.

http://rsws.zapto.org/RadioSoftware/Kenwood/Kenwood.htm

As far as I know both models are in fact field programmable. However two things must be done to enable that. First the option must be enabled in the programing software and second a small component must be removed from one of the circuit boards inside. Enabling the feature in software is not sufficient. Also if the radios don't have a full keyboard self programming isn't going to do you much good. 

http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs/tk-360g-tk-370g-svc-man.pdf

http://yo3hjv.blogspot.com/2010/05/field-programming-for-kenwood-tk-370.html

http://rsws.zapto.org/radiosoftware/kenwood/Field Programming the Kenwood Tk-270 370.pdf

https://www.manasrekha.com/pdf/TK-270G-370G.pdf

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Kenwood-Tk-370g-3058542.html

While the radio spec's don't show it you can program in frequencies outside of the official band spread for both models. I have the 370G programed for GMRS wide band and narrow band plus a number of Ham UHF repeaters and some simplex frequencies. The Ham repeater section of the band and simplex section are mostly between 440 MHz to 450 MHz which the radio will TX and RX on it seems OK. The official Kenwood programming software will throw up a warning about those frequencies being out of range but you can click OK and the software will accept it. Its just a bit annoying when building the code plug. 

Great info, and thanks for all of the links.  I have been a Kenwood fan since I got my first HF rig for ham radio, a TS-850SAT.  I've had numerous kenwoods since and these TK-370s are probably the best built of the bunch.  The Motorolas aren't bad either.

On the field programmability of the TK-370s, the basic 370s are field programmable with no modifications and no software activation required.  Just hold the light button and the Dial button in as you switch the radio on.  Once the display shows "SEL" you can release the buttons.  Then you can do the programming using the keypad and PTT buttons.  I was not aware of any way of programming the TK-370G using the keypad.  Do you have a link to a tutorial or something?

I was not aware of any way of programming the TK-370G using the keypad.  Do you have a link to a tutorial or something?

I you down load the TK-360G/TK-370G Service Manual from the link in my last post then look at page 11. That's section 8, Self Programming Mode. There it shows you where D17 is located, which has to be removed, and also the front panel/self programming mode enabled in the software has to be selected. The sequence for entering the various parameters through the front panel is covered in the service manual section. As you can see from the tables and flow charts it's really a pain. I've never modified my radios since it's far easier to use the programming software. 8-/

The radios don't have a real "VFO" so any programming done has to be to a particular memory slot. So field programming is not that useful IMHO.

Oh, to "simulate" a VFO I did program one memory bank in the 370G with a sequence of frequencies every 25KHz. The memory names were like 440-000, 440-025, 440-050 etc. for example. So skipping to the simplex bank and adjusting the big top side channel selector nob simulates the operation of an adjustable VFO with the frequency step size set at 25KHz.  That covered most, depending on how many memory channels you have left, of the simplex section of the band outlined in the ARRL recommended layout for 70cm. Better than nothing I guess.

Another good radio that is still currently manufactured by Kenwood is the TK-3170. Also Part 95 certified. If you find them used they tend to sell for more than the TK-370G's do. I've only seen one with a full keypad however. Most just have the top row of function keys.

https://5.imimg.com/data5/LH/CE/FE/SELLER-3451103/kenwood-tk-3170-uhf-two-way-radio.pdf

You'll notice the band split is spec'd at 440 MHz to 480 MHz for the type one. No question this will cover part of the Ham 70cm band.

If you want a mono band radio for VHF look at the TK-2170's band spilt in the same brochure. It will cover the complete 2 meter band up past where the NOAA weather channels are around 162 MHz. These radios are hard to find and people want way too much for them. I think you can guess why.

I have both types and they are good radios.

KC8LDO

WRBZ532

So I got my license maybe two weeks ago and I'm having a great time with GMRS even though I'm the only person on the air within a 35 mile radius.  The FCC database shows 6 other active licensees in my town but I never hear them on.  The most I hear is a couple of scratchy signals on FRS from local businesses. 

Regardless, I got my repeater up and running yesterday on the 550.  I have a 123 PL tone on the machine to keep the intermod and errant RFI to a minimum.  The duplexer arrived so I spent the evening tuning it on the NanoVNA and got it pretty precisely dialed in.  Now I just need to do some tests to see what kind of range I get out of it at low level.  According to the coverage map that I generated at the Radio Mobile website, I should easily cover my entire small town.  

So far, the family equipment consists of a Kenwood TK-370G-1 for me and a couple of TK-370-1s for the others in the family.  I got the good radio because I also do SAR for the local sheriff so I wanted the ability to have the extra channels and the narrow band capability.  Building the repeater and programming the Motorola Radius M1225 radios for the repeater was far easier than I thought it would be and tuning the duplexer was a fun challenge.  The Kenwood TK-370s are phenomenally well built radios with the added benefit of them all being CHIRP programmable.  The non-G versions are also field programmable. 

My family really isn't interested in radio communications but will likely use the Kenwoods when we are camping in the mountains.  I would really like to get others in my area interested in using the repeater.  I've drafted letters to send out to the other six licensees inviting them to make use of the machine.  I hope it generates some more local interest.

Chris

WRFS756

Chris,

I got excited for a second when I saw your repeater's new listing for Mountain Home.  I always confuse it with Mountain City (Nevada), my hunting area.  Thought whoopie.. here we go.  Oh well, will try to shoot the 100 miles from top of Tennessee Mtn (8000') to your repeater on my Kenwood mobile (25w) next time I'm up there.. fat chance, but I know it a pretty clear shot line of sight to MH from up there.  I'm hoping to get to the top of Pine Mtn also and take a shot back toward the Spring Creek repeaters.

Another good radio that is still currently manufactured by Kenwood is the TK-3170. Also Part 95 certified. If you find them used they tend to sell for more than the TK-370G's do. I've only seen one with a full keypad however. Most just have the top row of function keys.

I believe I got a notice from Kenwood a few months back saying that the TK-3170 was going to be discontinued. I'm sure there's a few still sitting brand new in Dealer inventories.

If you're looking for the TK-3170 K4 full keypad models - I've got 3 currently in stock. Nearly new, but not. Make me an offer.

If you're looking for the TK-3170 K4 full keypad models - I've got 3 currently in stock. Nearly new, but not. Make me an offer.

Unless you're really desperate to get rid of them my offer would likely be too low for you. I'm really looking for super bargains when buying radio stuff.