BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Accessing GMRS Repeaters

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jerry johnson_*

Guest_jerry johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

New to radio. wondering about the relationship between handheld location and repeater range. To reach the repeater do you have to be inside its range diameter? The closest one to me is about 45 miles to the repeater. I dont know its range yet.

Jerry

WRFT886

#2 WRAK968

WRAK968

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAK968
  • Ham Callsign:KC2YQW

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

New to radio. wondering about the relationship between handheld location and repeater range. To reach the repeater do you have to be inside its range diameter? The closest one to me is about 45 miles to the repeater. I dont know its range yet.

Jerry

WRFT886

at 45 miles, your likely out of range. Most repeaters have less than a 35 mile range using mobiles. Portables tend to have shorter range than mobile radios.

#3 Guest_jerry johnson_*

Guest_jerry johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:55 PM

at 45 miles, your likely out of range. Most repeaters have less than a 35 mile range using mobiles. Portables tend to have shorter range than mobile radios.

Thanks for the confirmation. This probably limits use of my radio on FRS, GMRS and MURS, I think. Am studying for my technicians license and was hoping to get some practice using the radio in the meantime.

Jerry

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users