Making contact with a repeater/owner

tweiss3

I have been scanning on my way to work for a few months now. I've found a repeater by the morse code identification. Now, as far as I can tell, its got a tone on it, because I can't seem to hit it. I've also attempted to hail the owner on the corresponding non-repeater frequency with no response.

My method to try and hail the owner: "This is WRFV692 attempting to hail the owner of the repeater on frequency XXX.XXX, commonly know as repeater channel XX."

Is this the correct method to hail them?

Secondly, other than using the RTL-SDRV3 that just came in the mail to record the morse code identification, any other way to figure out who it is/where it is? based on my commute, and assumption it's about 10-15 mile radius of reach, I have an idea, but have no idea how to reach the owner.

Is it rude to identify the morse code, look up the call sign and send a snail mail letter to the owner based on the registered address? 

[1] Is this the correct method to hail them?

[2] Secondly, other than using the RTL-SDRV3 that just came in the mail to record the morse code identification, any other way to figure out who it is/where it is? based on my commute, and assumption it's about 10-15 mile radius of reach, I have an idea, but have no idea how to reach the owner.

[3] Is it rude to identify the morse code, look up the call sign and send a snail mail letter to the owner based on the registered address? 

Well...

#1. Unlike ham radio and CB, most GMRS contacts are within a group of users, often family. So, there wasn't really a need for a standard way to call someone you don't know.  I'd just ID my self and ask if there was anyone else on frequency.  You could also add that you know are calling on the repeater output and looking for information about the repeater.  However, the real reason you did not contact anyone may be because they are using PL or DPL to limit  their receiver to only hear output from the repeater.  If this is the case they won't ever hear you unless you know the correct tone - which might, or might not, also be the input tone to the repeater.

#2. Unless you know someone with direction finding skills, there is not much you can do to locate the repeater.

#3. A call sign is public information. There is nothing inherently wrong in looking up someone's address and sending them a letter.  If they take offense, I'd say that's their problem and maybe you don't want to be on their repeater anyway.

However, before you do anything more, did you check the MyGMRS repeater listings?  They show a repeater that appears to be very close to you which may well be the one you are hearing.

Good luck

• 2 years later...