Repeater covering Yosemite NP?

cwheeler

I browsed the list of repeaters in CA on mygmrs and can't see anything that covers the Yosemite area.  Does anyone know if there is an available (open or permissive) repeater covering any of the Park?

We will be there next month with about 90 fourth graders for a week.  The teachers/chaperons use FRS on these kinds of trips when the groups split up for different hikes and other activities, but my wife and I could use GMRS as an alternative if needed. 

Thanks

Curtis WQTI277

There are 2 repeaters that might work depending upon exactly where your going to be in Yosemite;

Mt Bullion on 462.600 (located on Mt Bullion) has limited coverage into the valley

NVGMRS-.700 on 462.700 Located on Mt Oso has better coverage into the valley but still limited

You can look both of these up in the Repeater listings, both require permission.

NVGMRS-.700 is your best bet and it covers into Sacramento as well. Being located on Mt Oso it has great coverage of the entire valley and into the foothills as well.

Good advice, Gary.  I am signed up to be a "hiking parent," which means I will be out on trails everyday with different groups of a dozen or so kids.  Chances are that FRS will work for the group almost everywhere   The plan was to use my MS350Rs since they operate FRS and GMRS (they are repeater capable if needed).  I haven't shunned blister pack radios yet - this is an application they will probably serve well.

My wife will be part of the crew running things in the campground.  I think I will leave her with one of my Kenwoods.  Only slightly more tx power, but it will work from a higher performance external antenna on the car.   I might put my old 4W Alinco in my Camelback as a back up - it can transmit on GMRS, but only if something bad happens.  We will be with a couple of NPS contractor naturalists - they might have their own stuff - don't know.

Thanks

Who- Thanks for the referrals.  Though I don't know about the GMRS facilities at either, I am familiar with both Bullion and Oso from ham radio, and we have part 90 equipment at both mountaintops.  I am looking for handheld coverage.  Bullion might provide some in the Park, but probably not much on the valley floor.  I'd have real doubts about Mt Oso since it's simply so far away - the other side of the SJV.

Thanks again.

the 355's are good for the group users FRS and or GMRS but if you are operating the tour and want good repeater contact , for Emergency and or activity coordination, I would recommend a good 4 watt UHF radio with an enhanced whip antenna to reach distance repeaters. the blister pack radios do not have removable antennas, many UHF radios and some part 95 have removable antennas allowing you to add a nice 3db + of gain over the stock dummy load. Your outdoor activity sounds great, Beat of luck!

• 1 year later...