New to GMRS - How to Get Access to Use a Repeater

gmarman

I am new to GMRS living in San Diego CA and find that the range of my radios is quite limited without a repeater.

So I requested access via the myGMRS site to two repeaters but never heard back.  Not sure what the proper protocol is to request access - perhaps I violated to protocol?

There is one repeater listed in the SD area that does not require permission but when you click on the range for that repeater it shows an area 500 miles away in Northern Calif so not sure if that is usable.

In any event, I did a quick test by setting my radios channel and CCTS to the frequency code to one of the private repeaters in my area just to do a 30 second test - did not hear anyone on the channel.  I tried to transmit and receive between my radios with a friend less than 1 mile away and it did not work once he got 1/4 mile away - not sure if this is because I set my radios wrong or the repeater is not operating or the owner of the repeater needs to do something to authenticate my signal before it receives and transmits.

In any event, hoping someone can advise me on what I am doing wrong and what I am doing right.  And if anyone is in the SD area and can help me get access to repeater I can use (only on weekends for bike rides with the family around the area) I would appreciate it!

My radios or Midland GXT1000 and work well enough when in line of site with one another.

Thanks!

Gary Margolin

WRFX831

Welcome!

And on this cheerful note, the downer: GTX1000 does not seem to be repeater-capable. I do not own one, can't confirm myself, just looked at the reviews on Midland website. People mention it can't talk to repeaters.

The frequency you see in the repeater listing is a repeater output, i.e. the frequency that repeater uses to repeat what it hears on the repeater input frequency. On GMRS the input frequency is 5MHz higher than the output. I.e. if you see repeater frequency listed as 462.550 MHz, the input will be 467.550 MHz. Your radio must be capable to switch between 467.xxx MHz  for transmission and 462.xxx MHz for reception. As opposed to simplex operation, when you and your friend receive and transmit in turns on the same 462.xxx MHz frequency.

i too learned the hard way; the GXT1000 are (generally) not repeater capable.  channels 15-22 are simplex only, meaning you transmit and receive on the same frequency.

on the DCS/CTCSS codes and receiving, you won't need to have a code set to HEAR someone else on the channel;  if you have no code set, you'll receive EVERYTHING.  setting a code makes it so you only hear signals with that code.  on the transmit side, it's similar; the repeater will ignore transmissions without the correct code.

as for that repeater location, it may be a mistake with the actual coordinates of the repeater.  given the note that it's transmitting and receiving simplex on Ch 17, you MAY actually be able to use it...i would give it a try, though i wouldn't hold my breath.

Thank you all for your responses!  Live and learn - wish I had asked before I bought Midland radios.  Thanks for the lesson!

So, now that I know what to look for, wondering if anyone can direct me to the best place to find recommendations for which are the better handheld GMRS radios that are repeater capable.  So far, this site is the ONLY place I could find a list of currently available GMRS radios that are repeater capable.  But they are not reviewed.

Anyone have suggestions?  Tips on what to look out for?

Thanks again!

Gary

The list of repeater capable, gmrs certified new radios seems to be....short.

Wouxun k805g, baofeng gmrsv1, and perhaps a couple tyt come to mind. There are some posts of experience with both in the "equipment reviews" section.

There's also much discussion of the use of used "part 90" equipment...Kenwood and vertex standard are popular options.

I grabbed the wouxun, but active repeater options (and activity) here are sparse.

Thanks wayoverthere for the tip.  This forum and site has been very helpful to a beginner like me (thank you Rich!).

So for a beginner like me with interest in GMRS to increase my range for family communication I am looking now at the BTech V1.

It is cost effective and looks like it will satisfy my needs (for now) with preset GMRS channels and Repeater Channels.  I will likely only use this radio for specific communication on one channel at a time - not likely at this time to get too much more sophisticated.  But I can see how this could start to get addictive and I could be looking to get an amateur license and start doing more and more  and more . . . but for now I will stick with GMRS advancing only to repeater use.

As far as I can tell, their are only 3 appropriate currently sold options for a casual GMRS repeater capable user like me  . . . The BTech V1, the Wouxun 805G and the Retevis RT76.  I see there are other more powerful and capable radios that go beyond my GMRS license capability but I think these 3 are a good starting point or me for now until my interest grows to do more.  The reviews are mixed on many of these - the Retevis appears to be cheap - both in price and quality so I eliminated it.  I settled on the BTech because I was able to download the manual and it made sense to me - it also will help prevent me from abusing my transmissions by locking me into only the frequencies I am licensed to use (I like to follow the rules - especially as a beginner!).  

So, I will continue to participate in this site and contribute what I learn to others that may be just starting out.  Now I just need to figure out how to get repeater owners to respond to my requests to use their repeaters!

Thanks!

Gary

• 7 months later...

i too learned the hard way; the GXT1000 are (generally) not repeater capable. channels 15-22 are simplex only, meaning you transmit and receive on the same frequency.

on the DCS/CTCSS codes and receiving, you won't need to have a code set to HEAR someone else on the channel; if you have no code set, you'll receive EVERYTHING. setting a code makes it so you only hear signals with that code. on the transmit side, it's similar; the repeater will ignore transmissions without the correct code.

as for that repeater location, it may be a mistake with the actual coordinates of the repeater. given the note that it's transmitting and receiving simplex on Ch 17, you MAY actually be able to use it...i would give it a try, though i wouldn't hold my breath.

Jumping in here as I am new to GMRS as well and have the same question. We purchased a Midland bundle with an MXT115 (repeater capable) and it came with 2 GXT1000 handhelds. If I am understanding correctly, even though the MXT115 is repeater capable the two handhelds in the bundle can’t take advantage of it??

Thanks, Stacey

Jumping in here as I am new to GMRS as well and have the same question. We purchased a Midland bundle with an MXT115 (repeater capable) and it came with 2 GXT1000 handhelds. If I am understanding correctly, even though the MXT115 is repeater capable the two handhelds in the bundle can’t take advantage of it??

Thanks, Stacey

Yes, you're understanding correctly. You may be able to hear repeaters (as the repeater output frequencies, and the simplex frequencies for ch 15-22 are the same), the gxt's are not able to transmit to the repeaters.

...It doesn’t make sense to sell a “bundle” that doesn’t have compatible features.

Repeaters are not actually part of the service. That is, they are allowed, but not provided. Many people use GMRS for simplex operations and for that purpose t he bundle of a mobile ne 2 portables makes sense.

Yep, I realize repeaters are not part of the service. But I would consider repeater compatibility a radio feature (?) As I mentioned tho, I’m very new to GMRS so still a lot to learn. Thanks for the response!

All part of the learning journey. Welcome to GMRS BTW.

Radios that are repeater capable will be clearly advertised as such because they have the added repeater-capable feature. It is easily for a newcomer to be mislead and or to misinterpret things, like the manufacturer stating the GTX1000 radios have a 36-Mile range. I bet we would all be amazed at the number of consumers that have fallen for that intentionally misleading marketing.

BTW, the GTX1000 radios are a carryover from when radios were allowed to be both FRS and GRMS (so-called ‘hybrid’ radios). At the time, FRS had only 14 simplex channels, and GMRS had 8 more. The hybrid radios included all 22. When the FCC revised the rules in 2017 all hybrid radios that were less than two-watts were reclassified as FRS, anything more than 2 were reclassified as GMRS. When the rules changed, FRS gained more frequencies and so did GMRS.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Yep, I realize repeaters are not part of the service. But I would consider repeater compatibility a radio feature (?) As I mentioned tho, I’m very new to GMRS so still a lot to learn. Thanks for the response!

It's definitely a learning journey, including separating some of the real world application from the marketing fluff. I have a set as well, and I have to give Midland credit for being beginner friendly gear.

That said, one part of the journey is going to be research...varied levels of radios, and differing features. Some have all the features we want, some don't, and some of that we can learn from others' experience. Case in point was my hands discovering that the method btech uses to lock down the gmrs 50x1 is an inconvenience with the repeaters near me, where the kg805g handheld doesn't have the same limitation.

That is great history of FCC 2017... since I'm new, 2020, I would not know this... Thanks, Jack

All part of the learning journey. Welcome to GMRS BTW.

Radios that are repeater capable will be clearly advertised as such because they have the added repeater-capable feature. It is easily for a newcomer to be mislead and or to misinterpret things, like the manufacturer stating the GTX1000 radios have a 36-Mile range. I bet we would all be amazed at the number of consumers that have fallen for that intentionally misleading marketing.

BTW, the GTX1000 radios are a carryover from when radios were allowed to be both FRS and GRMS (so-called ‘hybrid’ radios). At the time, FRS had only 14 simplex channels, and GMRS had 8 more. The hybrid radios included all 22. When the FCC revised the rules in 2017 all hybrid radios that were less than two-watts were reclassified as FRS, anything more than 2 were reclassified as GMRS. When the rules changed, FRS gained more frequencies and so did GMRS.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 3 weeks later...

There is a time for talking and a time for listening. As my talking is worth .02 cents listening is worth .98 cents. I've been using a GTX1050 to listen for some time, it does have long range listening capabilities. So far it's all been usual chatter between old guys stuck at home solving the worlds problems lol, I'm getting to know them and that maybe of some use someday. No news is good news and there has been no news I've heard on gmrs channels to speak of yet. I'm not sorry I purchased the GTX1050, it has its applications and does have a decent short range ability to speak, if I need help I need it from someone close by, it does that. . The GTX1050 receives signals from a good distance and has a good battery life. 2 things I think are the most important in a hand held. 

Like most things there really isn't a one size fits all. I'm sure I will end up owning several hand helds before I find that one go to device. I do feel a sense of urgency, the learning curve on finding the right tool this time will have to be short. Why I just joined here. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am another newcomer. I found this discussion thread while doing an Internet search on how to access and use a GMRS repeater -- which is something I'd like to do so I can reach a friend who lives three miles away (line of sight) with a couple of small hills between us. We are both using Baofeng UV-5R radios, and neither of us can hear the other transmit when we are at our respective homes. (We tied it again last night, while talking on cell phone to be sure we knew when to listen.)

I guess the first question is: Is the Baofeng UV-5R series of radios repeater-capable? If they are, your map shows two repeaters with coverage areas that overlap both our locations, so we would like to be able to connect through at least one of those repeaters.

I am another newcomer. I found this discussion thread while doing an Internet search on how to access and use a GMRS repeater -- which is something I'd like to do so I can reach a friend who lives three miles away (line of sight) with a couple of small hills between us. We are both using Baofeng UV-5R radios, and neither of us can hear the other transmit when we are at our respective homes. (We tied it again last night, while talking on cell phone to be sure we knew when to listen.)

I guess the first question is: Is the Baofeng UV-5R series of radios repeater-capable? If they are, your map shows two repeaters with coverage areas that overlap both our locations, so we would like to be able to connect through at least one of those repeaters.

Hello Woody. Welcome to GMRS.

Yes, UV-5R are repeater cable, but they are not legal for use on GMRS. Legal-to-use radios will be FCC Part 95e certified. BF does have some legal to use 95e models available. There are a also a variety of other legal models now. Some folks on this forum choose to use higher-quality part 90 radios, which the FCC has reportedly turned a blind eye towards.

When you do get yourself legal radios to use, please make sure to obtain the permission of the repeater owner to use their personal equipment. It is good and proper etiquette.

Again, welcome. Enjoy!

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

• 1 month later...

@Woody, check out buytwowayradios.com. Look at the KG-805g and the KG-905g radios. I liked the looks and features of the 905g and ordered it as the additional cost over the 805g was minùte. Impatiently waiting for it to arrive, lol.

I too, as probably the majority of users on here do, have 2 of the UV-5R's and a TYT-UV88 that I use to monitor my local GMRS repeater. They both have the "capability" to transmit on the repeater, but are not legal to.

Wade

WRMC954

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...