Noob Questions - so many ! So excited!

Ant1841

Question

Im very excited that this resource exists. Thank you for allowing me to join here. 

Like many others the my introduction to the radio world was when I had bought the midland GXT 1000's handheld bubble-pack for the reasons one would have handhelds: mostly at campsites and other similar occasions.  I was impressed with what they could do and wanted to explore more.

I added the 15 watt midland to my truck for the same purpose but to add some capabilities. And again dollar for dollar am pretty impressed. So....now ive go the bug and want to try to cover my neighborhood as back up comms for my family and friends.

so im going to pursue getting answer to these questions and if seasoned members would like to share their thoughts here I would be grateful

I did get my license and im ready to rock.

1) if I build a radio shack ( just talking gmrs right now-- but i can tell its the gateway drug already) in my home office, will my

wi-fi router cause any interference . Literally like 3 feet apart.

2) im looking at the midland 40Watt or the Btech 50 watt  any strong opinions on this?

3) looking to put antennae in the attic. thoughts on that?

4) why can I hear people from 20 or 30 miles away or even more, but no one can ever hear me?

5) Are there good resources out that where I can go as a total novice?

6 answers to this question

1. interference is always possible, but unlikely w/ your wifi

2. Midland stuff is extremely basic & simple in operation, the baofeng will have more features, but requires more configuration/understanding to use.

3. Antenna in attic is better than none at all, but for what really helps gmrs signal is the antenna height and less obstructions to line of sight

4. You could be hearing a transmission that uses squelch code like Dcs, or you may not be transmitting strong enough to reach them, even though they can reach you

5. You're already here

1. interference is always possible, but unlikely w/ your wifi

2. Midland stuff is extremely basic & simple in operation, the baofeng will have more features, but requires more configuration/understanding to use.

3. Antenna in attic is better than none at all, but for what really helps gmrs signal is the antenna height and less obstructions to line of sight

4. You could be hearing a transmission that uses squelch code like Dcs, or you may not be transmitting strong enough to reach them, even though they can reach you

5. You're already here

1: Wifi works in the 2.4, 4.9, and 5 GHz band while GMRS is in the UHF (460-470 MHz) band so you shouldn't see any RF interference, however there may be electrical interference if using a cheap transformer. (This would be an audible hum over your voice as you transmit)

2: Midland and Baofengs are ok, (I have a Baofeng that I use as a loaner radio for family members) Personally I prefer Kenwood radios, using 380 portables and 880H mobiles. They are easy to program via computer and have a few features the baofengs and midland's don't have. Recently I started using an 8180H which has even more features on it. It all depends on what you plan to do with your radios. For me, being able to use work frequencies was the reason for upgrading to the 8180.

3: An antenna in the attic does work however just getting it to outside can result in a drastic increase of range. For the past two weeks my antenna was in the attic due to work being done on the roof, it got the signal out but not too far. When I returned it to outside I realized what a difference a sheet of plywood can make lol.

4: As Cleveland said, the traffic you are hearing could have a code or a mix of codes set up, they may also be using a repeater which could let you talk as far as 40 miles away. On top of that, GMRS repeater owners are now adding linking computers and software to their systems which can allow a user from NJ to talk via radio to a user in CA. Information about repeaters and which are linked can be found on the MyGMRS.com site

5: See Cleveland answer :) Even though I started out as a ham, this site, this community even, has helped teach me so much. When there's a problem I have never seen a group come together to try and figure it out then wait to see if their answer resolved that problem like they do here. This is a great group of guys and gals from all walks of life with experience from the amateur radio community, emergency radio community, and even professional radio techs, so there are no shortages of answers to your questions.

5: See Cleveland answer :) Even though I started out as a ham, this site, this community even, has helped teach me so much. When there's a problem I have never seen a group come together to try and figure it out then wait to see if their answer resolved that problem like they do here. This is a great group of guys and gals from all walks of life with experience from the amateur radio community, emergency radio community, and even professional radio techs, so there are no shortages of answers to your questions.

100%agreed on this, with both you and Cleveland. I haven't found a better resource for gmrs (and general radio) info, hands down. There IS a sub on Reddit (r/gmrs), but it doesn't even come close to this site (though I think there are a few users on both, myself included).

I’ve had some interference mostly only on HF some from my router switch and from the tv I use for a monitor.  Gotta love a 36” monitor lol.solved most of it by moving the radios to one side of the room and computer and associated cables to the other side.  Most of the noise is gone.  Tv,s are not as good in shielding as monitors are I have found. BUT a 36” monitor for the computer is fantastic almost don’t need the glasses!