Translating repeater info into CHIRP / BTECH GMRS-V1 vocab

scarleton

So I am new to GMRS and I was just given repeater info for the area, it looks like this:

462.### - TX ###.#, RX ###.#

But when I look in CHIRP I see:

1. Under Tone mode there are these options: Tone, TSQL, DTCS, and Cross.  Which one do I select?
  2. Is the TX the Tone column and RX the ToneSql column?
  3. There are lots of options for Cross Mode, do I select something there?

In the end, how to I translate the info I got into something I can program into the radio?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Sam

So I am new to GMRS and I was just given repeater info for the area, it looks like this:

462.### - TX ###.#, RX ###.#

But when I look in CHIRP I see:

1. Under Tone mode there are these options: Tone, TSQL, DTCS, and Cross.  Which one do I select?
  2. Is the TX the Tone column and RX the ToneSql column?
  3. There are lots of options for Cross Mode, do I select something there?

In the end, how to I translate the info I got into something I can program into the radio?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Sam

Tone mode is to transmit a tone to the repeater, while leaving your receiver open to hear everything.

TSQL mode is Tone Squelch.  This option allows you to put in a transmit tone in the "Tone" column, and receive tone in the "TSQL" column. This allows your receiver to only hear this repeater, and not other chatter on the same frequency.

DTCS is Digital Tone Coded Squelch - does the same thing, but slightly different mode of operation.

CROSS allow you to program repeaters the use DTCS for access, and a separate tone for you to receive, or vice-versa.

Don't forget on repeaters, you will need to set the offset to 5,000KHz and set the shift to + in order to access the system.

Let me see if I understand what you are saying:

With the info I was given, I know I need a tone of the TX/RX (which always are the same on the list I got).  So I get to pick whether I use Tone mode, where I will hear EVERYTHING On that channel, or TSQL where I only hear stuff for that repeater.  If I had been given DTCS info, then I would concern myself with either DTCS or CROSS.  

Is that correct?  

Oh, how do I know that the shift is a + and not a -?

Let me see if I understand what you are saying:

With the info I was given, I know I need a tone of the TX/RX (which always are the same on the list I got).  So I get to pick whether I use Tone mode, where I will hear EVERYTHING On that channel, or TSQL where I only hear stuff for that repeater.  If I had been given DTCS info, then I would concern myself with either DTCS or CROSS.  

Is that correct?  

Oh, how do I know that the shift is a + and not a -?

I think you have got it.

GMRS repeater inputs are always +5 MHz from the receive frequency, that is by law, so it never changes.  The repeater input of a machine that you hear on 462.600 will ALWAYS be on 467.600 - exactly 5000 KHz, or 5 MHz higher.  In other radio services, such as ham, there are some repeaters with - offsets, and others with + offsets, but in GMRS, it is always +.

Wow, pleasant, accurate and polite exchange of information? Am I still on the Internet? I would have asked the same question in a few days Scarleton. I'm new at this and would love to see a follow-up here on how your radio works with the repeater. 

And Mr. Jones, thank you for the polite and information-packed response.

Happy Fourth of July everyone.

Wow...I was having the same questions.  One additional for a newbie.  In chirp, if I set the TONE MODE column to TSQL, and put a Tone Frequency in the ToneSql Column, it will erase/not let me enter a Tone Frequency in the Tone column.  Is this normal?  Should I just choose Tone and not TSQL and let it ride?

Wow...I was having the same questions.  One additional for a newbie.  In chirp, if I set the TONE MODE column to TSQL, and put a Tone Frequency in the ToneSql Column, it will erase/not let me enter a Tone Frequency in the Tone column.  Is this normal?  Should I just choose Tone and not TSQL and let it ride?

Yes that is normal.  Tone is tone encoding to open the squelch on the repeater, but it doesn't require you to receive a tone to open your squelch, which means you can hear everyone on that frequency. 

TSQL is tone encoding to open the squelch on the repeater AND your radio. So you will only hear station that have the proper tone encoding.  The only way both fields will allow a value is if you use cross, which allows for split tones.