Connecting to repeater

renewrfy950

Need some help trying to connect to repeater in San Marcos Texas. The settings on this website show
Range: 15 Miles
Output: 462.625 MHz No Tone
Input: 467.625 MHz <Tone removed by moderator>

I currently only have a Motorola MS350R. From what I can tell I would put my radio to channel R18 with a privacy code of XX. Will I have an issue due to the fact that the repeater has a tone on one side but not the other?

Edited by WQEJ577
Removed tone information as this is a publicly-visible forum

Need some help trying to connect to repeater in San Marcos Texas. The settings on this website show

Range: 15 Miles

Output: 462.625 MHz No Tone

Input: 467.625 MHz <Tone removed by moderator>

I currently only have a Motorola MS350R. From what I can tell I would put my radio to channel R18 with a privacy code of XX. Will I have an issue due to the fact that the repeater has a tone on one side but not the other?

Yes, you will have a problem.  You won't be able to hear the repeater if they are not returning the same tone.  It won't work with your particular radio.

The repeater WILL hear you, but you won't hear it.  You might, if you have a "Monitor" key to open the squelch, use that on receive, but that will be a hassle.

If my intent is to test whether my radios can connect to a repeater, would setting radio 1 to the correct channel and tone and then setting the radio 2 to correct channel no tone allow me to transmit and receive?

In theory, yes. However in practice it’s not so clear. The transmitting radio will desensitized the receiver if it’s too close. You may need to move several feet away, maybe 10 or 20 feet or further. But, give it a try and see what happens.

I guess I have the same question.  I occasionally travel through a big city in another state with my vehicle, and in the afternoons they have a really active club that has a repeater.  I'd like to join in, but in looking them up here, they use a "split band" and I have a Midland Micromobile.  I think I'm therefore flat out of luck, am I correct?

...am I correct?

Possibly not.  First let's verify terms. If by "split band" you mean different tone/dcs access modes on the input and output, then the answer is Yes, for the stock radios.

However, if you have the MXT-400,  take a look at this post (and the entire thread). It certainly seems like you should be able to re-program that radio - though nobody seems to have actually trident, or at least nobody has reported having tried it.

YMMV