MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationWestern NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJX754

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

Thanks Michael for sharing this... You're are a good teacher.  

Jack

I finally made the purchase of the HD 46’ push-up fiberglass mast I referenced in my earlier post. This weekend I rigged things up in a temporary way to conduct tests with local (and not so local) repeaters, as well as do some local simplex work.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

#22 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationHammond, Indiana
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:20 PM

Control Stations.  Meaning a fixed station (base type station) that is communicating with an off site repeater to extend coverage.  I believe is 20 feet (for sure with commercial radios but this run gets broken constantly)

Actually, the limit is 20' higher than the support structure. If one lived in the penthouse of a 40 story building, imagine the range one could enjoy even on simplex!

• AdmiralCochrane likes this

#23 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationHammond, Indiana
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:45 PM

I finally made the purchase of the HD 46’ push-up fiberglass mast I referenced in my earlier post. This weekend I rigged things up in a temporary way to conduct tests with local (and not so local) repeaters, as well as do some local simplex work.

<snipped for brevity>

The antenna is a Comet 712EFC Collinear 9dBi.
https://www.dxengine...ts/cma-ca-712ef
Cable is TMW LMR400
Mast is from DX Engineering.
https://www.dxengine...ts/dxe-tfk46-hd

That is a very nice antenna. I installed one on the roof of my house about seven years ago on a 20' mast secured by a heavy duty tripod. I went a bit overboard by using 7/8" Andrews heliax. It's been a rock-solid performer and has survived many gusts in excess of 60mph, and a derecho last year with highest steady winds of ~90mph!  See: https://twitter.com/...938287296974856 showing an apartment building being "de-roofed."

Those masts are great, although measuring and marking each section and gluing the toggle clamps was a PITA! I have two of them and use the tall tripods from MFJ along with two levels of guy lines to support my G5RV (106' HF antenna) on field days and other club events such as POTA (Parks on the Air) activations.

#24 mbrun

mbrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRHS965
  • Ham Callsign:KE8PLM

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:40 AM

You know, I was watching that video expecting to see an antenna still standing while the roof was ripped off.

I read about the glue up PITA issue you talked about and was fretting it too. The version I received did not require glue. The couplers simply slide over the lower section and are tightened in place with an allen wrench. Nice!

That is a very nice antenna. I installed one on the roof of my house about seven years ago on a 20' mast secured by a heavy duty tripod. I went a bit overboard by using 7/8" Andrews heliax. It's been a rock-solid performer and has survived many gusts in excess of 60mph, and a derecho last year with highest steady winds of ~90mph! See: https://twitter.com/...938287296974856 showing an apartment building being "de-roofed."

Those masts are great, although measuring and marking each section and gluing the toggle clamps was a PITA! I have two of them and use the tall tripods from MFJ along with two levels of guy lines to support my G5RV (106' HF antenna) on field days and other club events such as POTA (Parks on the Air) activations.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

#25 AdmiralCochrane

AdmiralCochrane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJI735
  • Ham Callsign:W1IRE

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:51 PM

Actually, the limit is 20' higher than the support structure. If one lived in the penthouse of a 40 story building, imagine the range one could enjoy even on simplex!

That's the only thing that makes me envious of the 15 story building at the top of my line of sight facing north.  If we had a repeater up there, it would be golden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users