Wouxun KG-805G - Any Experience to Share?

mbrun

Last week I ordered a pair of these radios and received them over the weekend. I wanted some HT that could work with repeaters and that could accept an external antenna. bf56552860a41151f20f61c65fe3e2ec.jpg

The local repeater I had hoped to use is down for maintenance so I will have to wait to try that. In the mean time, I have tried simplex on mostly level ground HT-HT and was able to reach about 1-1/2 miles with a mixture of woods, houses and fields in between.

So far I like the radios. Physical build quality seems good. My 6-10 year old and going strong GXT-1050 are my point of reference. Range seems to be somewhat better under the same conditions, but admittedly I had hoped to be shocked with much more range given the better antenna on the radio.

I am thinking of putting a base in the home with an external antenna, perhaps 40’ in the air so I can do simplex HT to base, out to perhaps 6-8 miles.

Curious to know, if you have this radio, what your experience has been.

Michael

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! No one?

Don’t tell me I am the first to buy these radios :)

You're at least the second. I just don't have a lot of usage on mine so far to report on, as the only time I needed it, I didn't have the wouxun yet, and my area doesn't have the "ham lite" type of community some areas have. Here it's more seen as "frs plus", and people stick to their group. The other uses I had in mind have kind of been on hold with all the covid shutdowns.

I would think the Wouxun’s would do better than the GXT1050. I have 4 of the GXT 1050’s and in my testing of my base station setup so far I have been able to talk about 5 miles base to HT from higher spots in my area to my 25 watt test setup with a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna at 20 ft. I get about 1.5 miles HT to HT on the 1050’s. I haven’t tried further than 5 miles base to HT yet.

So far I like the radio and its feature set. Usable range around my home is still only about 1-1/2 mile HT to HT. My wife and I did some tests this past weekend and just could not push it past that. I think the density of trees in most directions away from our house is really limiting us.

One thing we did discover this weekend was the audio quality difference between the KG-805G and GXT1000 is definitely notable. During our tests I switched between between the two models to compare range and she commented just how much better the 805 sounded. Louder, clearer. And I always thought the GXT sounded good. I think we can attribute that to the fact (at least in part) that the KG-805G is operating in wide-band mode.

We are doing some experiments to see what improvements we can achieve if we use an external antenna on the radio at the house.

We may take the radios to a local park and lake to see what additional range we can get.

I bought two of them for use with bicycle riding. When I receive them I will let you know what I think. My girlfriend just got license yesterday.

If you do a lot of bike riding a good mobile bike setup could be in order.

https://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Operating_Modes/Mobile/Bicycle/

A lot of examples can be found from simple setups to the complex with batteries, solar panels and power amps.

I would be thrilled to get a consistent 5-miles HT to base (home). But more would be nice too. BTW, my GXT are the early FCCID version that were rated 5 watt, same as the Wouxun. I understand current versions have different FCCID and over power. What is the FCCID on your units?

I would think the Wouxun’s would do better than the GXT1050. I have 4 of the GXT 1050’s and in my testing of my base station setup so far I have been able to talk about 5 miles base to HT from higher spots in my area to my 25 watt test setup with a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna at 20 ft. I get about 1.5 miles HT to HT on the 1050’s. I haven’t tried further than 5 miles base to HT yet.

Thanks. I will let you know the results. We plan to use them for bike to bike communications, hiking and skiing. Repeater use may be part of our fun if we get separated by too much distance on the bikes. I had to ride back to my car a few weeks ago and pick her up. The distance may have needed a repeater. In that case the cell phone works.

Part of the search was finding a good finger ptt. We looked at throat mics, but we decided against them. We felt like we were choking.

I bought a finger ptt that works with our existing headphones. BTECH 2 Pin (K1 Connector) to 3.5MM Adapter with Push-to-Talk Button (Compatible with 2 Pin BaoFeng, Kenwood, BTECH Radios to 3.5mm Headsets with in-line Mics) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019YJMRZS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gyoiFbDZSK90H

My girlfriend asked me about the amateur license as well. I am a VEC, and I look forward to her taking the test. I might excuse myself from that exam session.

Linus, I have been studying for the amateur license myself. Been looking for a place to take it during the next month of so. Have already taken some of the practice exams and feeling very comfortable. An HT has already been ordered and is on its way.

That is a cool little adapter you found for adapting the Apple headset for use with the radio. Hope that works well for you.

Thanks. I will let you know the results. We plan to use them for bike to bike communications, hiking and skiing. Repeater use may be part of our fun if we get separated by too much distance on the bikes. I had to ride back to my car a few weeks ago and pick her up. The distance may have needed a repeater. In that case the cell phone works.

Part of the search was finding a good finger ptt. We looked at throat mics, but we decided against them. We felt like we were choking.

I bought a finger ptt that works with our existing headphones. BTECH 2 Pin (K1 Connector) to 3.5MM Adapter with Push-to-Talk Button (Compatible with 2 Pin BaoFeng, Kenwood, BTECH Radios to 3.5mm Headsets with in-line Mics) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019YJMRZS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gyoiFbDZSK90H

My girlfriend asked me about the amateur license as well. I am a VEC, and I look forward to her taking the test. I might excuse myself from that exam session.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Linus. Curious if you have any further experience to share about your experience with the radios on the bikes. And BTW, where you planning to add antenna to the bike or stick with the rubber duck on the radio?

BTW, I have ordered a pair of the new Nagoya 771G 1/2 wave and 701G 1/4 wave antennas to try with my KG-805G radios.

I have also ordered the Ed-Fong GMRS roll up.

Going to be doing some more range testing around me when they arrive.

I am also look forward to winter around here, not because I like cold, but because the leaves will be off the trees and I am really curious to see how range improves in the absence of the leaves.

I am also look forward to winter around here, not because I like cold, but because the leaves will be off the trees and I am really curious to see how range improves in the absence of the leaves.

That would be an interesting test. I often read where VHF tends to reach further because at the lower frequency the RF is absorbed less by tree leaves etc. I'm not so sure that's the main reason. There is another one that could explain it more called "free space path loss" which has nothing to do with signal absorption or blockages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_path_loss

http://www.sis.pitt.edu/prashk/inf1072/Fall16/lec5.pdf

What it comes down to is the signal strength is expressed in "volts per meter" and is independent of frequency but related to transmitter power.

"http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery/Documents/Guidelines and Forms/Guidelines and Manuals/EH/EH/Section2Final06062013.pdf"

However since one has to use a resonate antenna, or nearly so, the antenna on UHF is roughly 1/3 the "length" of the same type at VHF and thus intercepts just 1/3 of the signal expressed in "volts per meter". Thus the received signal is 1/3 the amplitude, voltage wise, coming out of the antenna. From a power stand point the received signal "power" is proportional to the square of the voltage thus the "power" at UHF would be about 1/9 that at VHF, or in db's, 10*log(1/9), its  9.54db lower.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/free-space-path-loss-calculator/

Using the above calculator the path loss is 75.962db with the following data input:

Distance: 1 KM

Frequency: 150 MHz

Transmitter Gain: 0

Receiver Gain: 0

And you get a path loss of 85.504db with the following data input:

Distance: 1 KM

Frequency: 450 MHz

Transmitter Gain: 0

Receiver Gain: 0

The difference is. 9.542db lower as expected on UHF compared to VHF for the two frequencies used. The higher the calculated number is in db the higher the loss.

OK. You’ve got me thinking. I started going through linked items and thought to myself. “What the heck. You just got off work and its time to let the mind rest.” :)

Anyhow, On a related note I found this little diddy that relates to the topic. It as part of this stackoverflow post:

https://ham.stackexchange.com/questions/3692/is-free-space-path-loss-dependent-on-frequency

3a3663f69c2995cb64af796139b266e0.jpg

The study of RF propagation in air is new for me so I am going to need some time to digest. It sounds like this is something you are really passionate about. What seems to make perfect sense to me is that if you radiate a given amount of power from a point source in space that the intensity of that power at some given point a given distance away would be the same, regardless of frequency. However, when considering the physical size of the capture device, larger wavelength devices feature larger capture areas thus the amount of power impacting the antenna would be greater. Using microwave dishes as an example, the dish is quite large compared to the wavelength. The dish provides a large area to capture the radiate signal to reflect, redirect and focus the energy onto a small wavelength antenna. So, because the antenna is physically small, some means is needed to capture more of the available energy.

Now that I am entering the ham world more seriously I imagine I studying more things like this.

Hi there. So far our use of these HTs is pleasant. Very easy to use. The audio quality is good and communication is what you would expect from UHF. I find that this handset is far easier to manage without chirp and other Chinese manufacturers. I have yet to find a push to talk system that allows me to use my finger to push to talk and have a microphone and headset all attached in one. There are plenty of offerings were a headphone goes into your ear and the microphone and push to talk or a separate item. That is not easy to use with the bicycle. There was a throat mic version that has a headset for hearing and a push to talk button that is separately wired for your finger. In theory that product it was great when I tried it out it would not work and it was choking me.

OK. You’ve got me thinking. I started going through linked items and thought to myself. “What the heck. You just got off work and its time to let the mind rest.” :)

Anyhow, On a related note I found this little diddy that relates to the topic. It as part of this stackoverflow post:

https://ham.stackexchange.com/questions/3692/is-free-space-path-loss-dependent-on-frequency

3a3663f69c2995cb64af796139b266e0.jpg

The study of RF propagation in air is new for me so I am going to need some time to digest. It sounds like this is something you are really passionate about. What seems to make perfect sense to me is that if you radiate a given amount of power from a point source in space that the intensity of that power at some given point a given distance away would be the same, regardless of frequency. However, when considering the physical size of the capture device, larger wavelength devices feature larger capture areas thus the amount of power impacting the antenna would be greater. Using microwave dishes as an example, the dish is quite large compared to the wavelength. The dish provides a large area to capture the radiate signal to reflect, redirect and focus the energy onto a small wavelength antenna. So, because the antenna is physically small, some means is needed to capture more of the available energy.

Now that I am entering the ham world more seriously I imagine I studying more things like this.

Well you summed it up right. The mystery is what effect is more dominate in real usage conditions, free space path loss, signal absorption etc. 

The impressive part is on UHF one needs significantly more power on UHF to generate the same signal strength at the receiver compared to VHF. That’s assuming you keep other factors about the same.

In another topic I started I had asked just how much activity do people hear on the license free MURS channels, which are on VHF from around 151 to 154 MHZ. Given the issue of path loss and MURS radios limit to 2 watts I’ll guess it could outperform a much higher power UHF radio. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to do a follow up post regarding the radio.

I performed power measurements on my radios using setup depicted in the following photo.

58e7aeea4b731b7b401f61906752f2c1.jpg

Based on this configuration, I tested TX output power on all 30 GMRS frequencies. I used the factory stock battery, freshly charged, but rested for 24 hours. My results were as follows:

Channels 1-7, 15-22, R15-R22 output power ranged from 4.99-5.15 watts. Channels 8-14 ranged from .62-.63 watts.

Using a fresh-off-the-charger battery, the output peaked at 5.44 as shown in the image. These numbers seem to suggest that the radio is performing on par with its advertised ratings.

The manufacturer of the meter does state that meter accuracy is not as good when power drops below 1/2w. We seem to be above that.

Thought perhaps those of you considering getting this radio might appreciate these findings.

Michael

WRSH965

• 2 weeks later...

About a -10dBm difference at equal distance in free space, 145 vs 460 MHz, but then you can also have much higher gain antennas for equivalent lengths, so in the end its mostly a wash... provided you setup things right, emphasis in "setup things right". 

G.

Well you summed it up right. The mystery is what effect is more dominate in real usage conditions, free space path loss, signal absorption etc. 

The impressive part is on UHF one needs significantly more power on UHF to generate the same signal strength at the receiver compared to VHF. That’s assuming you keep other factors about the same.

In another topic I started I had asked just how much activity do people hear on the license free MURS channels, which are on VHF from around 151 to 154 MHZ. Given the issue of path loss and MURS radios limit to 2 watts I’ll guess it could outperform a much higher power UHF radio.