Wouxun KG-805G - Any Experience to Share?

mbrun

Does anyone know if the KG-805G uses the SuperHeterodyne receiver?

I know the KG-UV-9G does, still waiting to its cert and release.

This will be my second "Pro" model, after the BTECH GMRS-V1.

My biggest issue with the BTECH is that is does not transmit from the saved memory channels.

Does anyone know if the KG-805G uses the SuperHeterodyne receiver?

I know the KG-UV-9G does, still waiting to its cert and release.

This will be my second "Pro" model, after the BTECH GMRS-V1.

My biggest issue with the BTECH is that is does not transmit from the saved memory channels.

I have not heard/seen SuperHet officially claimed or verified for the KG-805G and currently assume it is not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wanted to share one little ditty I found with the KG-805G radio. I was trying to see if there was a way to view the firmware version of the radio or if there was a factory reset option like there is on my KG-UV9P. While no reset option has been identified, I have identified that one can view some internal information by doing the following: Turn off Radio. Press and hold the ‘Up’ button while turning the radio on. Doing so will display the radio model. Then, if you press the up button again and again you will step thru number of yet-to-be-determined values. One value may be the date of manufacture (or firmware date), one may be firmware version, plus two other unknown values.

I had thought that one of the unknown values may be the PTT-ID value that can be set in the radio, but that does not appear to be the case as I did change it using the manufacturer’s software and neither of these two unknown values changed when checked again.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my 805G after T-Day and wanted to connect to my repeater in our area... had some setup issue but kept asking questions and some great guys PM me with software programing to make it happen for radio check with my repeaters operator.  

So if you need some input, PM me and we can walk it through....

I'm thankful for this forum and BTWR who lead me to 805G and willing to purchase a second one but have to ask to make should if I over look another good HT...  Only asking so I do not have buyers remorse.

My pros are can swap out accessories between the two 805G... great connection and sound to area repeater..  Can program it now that I know what I'm doing, I think...

Cons, are.... thinking.... it is Chinese, no my two adopted daughters are and husband of one is my biking and Jeeping buddy.  Still thinking...  OK it is not America made, that the best I could come up with being a buy American guy.  O I thought of another con but it is not radio fault... Can not sit in my Lazy Boy chair in the basement and reach the repeater... Have to go upstairs out of the bunker...  

All this to say if this is your first HT get it.... So I'm waiting until Monday to place my order for second unit with BTWR plus hopping the value accessory pack is not longer out of stock.

Will be listening for you...

I have had my radio for about 6 months. I believe that it is a better radio than the BTECH GMRS V-1, but a few days ago, the  display screen quit displaying characters. The screen is illuminated, and the radio works...the female voice lets me know what channel I am on.  I contacted BuyTwoWayRadios via email, and within 24 hours, I got the return authorization code. I am sending it off tomorrow for replacement.  I hope this is just a fluke, as the radio was never dropped or exposed to water. 

So noticed that the KG-805G was being listed as a "BASIC" model on BTWR.

Well this morning, BTWR is showing it as discontinued.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-805g-basic.html

I saw a post somewhere that BTWR is working on a rugged version of the KG-805G and BSR is working on the KG-UV9G.

Just a bit late in the year to get these before Christmas.

8-|

I wonder the reasoning behind having two GMRS model - since the differences between them seem to be minimally firmware related....

The difference between the KG-805G and KG-805G Basic can be found here:

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2019/12/introducing-the-wouxun-kg-805-professional-gmrs-and-murs-radios.html

Not surprised it died an early death. Probably best suited for a family whereby the license holder preprograms all the radios and hands them out to family members so they can’t mess them up.

Michael

WHRS965

KE8PLM

I have two of these KG-805G radios I am overall happy with them for where they land in the marketplace. My buddy also has one and the other day he could key the local repeater but his receiver would not open up we even turned the squelch down to zero. I have noticed my radio is very stingy on the receive side as well. It would definitely make me consider buying anymore. I have upgraded the antenna on mine and it helped a lot. Like I said overall I’m happy with mine just a little disappointed in the receiver side of the radio. 

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have three of these radios deployed around my home. They work great. I have taken them out into the field for range testing and this little 5watt handheld really performs well. I hook them up to mag mount antennas and used a Nagoya antenna as well. I am very pleased with the quality, accessories and general feel of the unit. I recommend it to anyone who would like a strictly GMRS hand talkie. 

• 1 month later...

I really like my 805G's and am impressed that I can reach a repeater 15 miles away on the stock antenna.

Switching to the Nagoya 771 antenna improved my signal to that is recommended.

I've been a ham since 1985 and my experience is that this Wouxun is a very respectable radio.

My radio did "desense" my wife's radio 20' away while I was talking on the repeater.

So she did not hear me talking on the repeater - just the other guy.

But I think this would be even be expected even on a Ham HT.

It's just a fact of life for hand held radios.

I really like the available accessories like swap-able battery packs, speaker mics, BNC adapter etc.

The powerwerx speaker mic is really nice for the money.

I wish it had a power level select button to reduce power at close range.

We always switch channels to the .5W group to save power when close.

Other than that I really have no complaints.

It would be nice if there were waterproof IP7. 

Nice radios.

Vince

Vince, add me to the list of liking my 805G...  Now for an easy way to go lower power is I programmed into our 805G a LPower channel, HPower channel (which is the same Freq just power change) and also did a HBand with full power on GMRS channel and LBand on the FRS channel.  I think I have hundreds of locations to add a mix of label channels... I even label all my repeater by name and PL codes leaving the Rpt 15-22 with no PL codes so I can hear other repeaters which I'm not on.  Hope that helps.

Jack

I really like my 805G's and am impressed that I can reach a repeater 15 miles away on the stock antenna.

Switching to the Nagoya 771 antenna improved my signal to that is recommended.

I've been a ham since 1985 and my experience is that this Wouxun is a very respectable radio.

My radio did "desense" my wife's radio 20' away while I was talking on the repeater.

So she did not hear me talking on the repeater - just the other guy.

But I think this would be even be expected even on a Ham HT.

It's just a fact of life for hand held radios.

I really like the available accessories like swap-able battery packs, speaker mics, BNC adapter etc.

The powerwerx speaker mic is really nice for the money.

I wish it had a power level select button to reduce power at close range.

We always switch channels to the .5W group to save power when close.

Other than that I really have no complaints.

It would be nice if there were waterproof IP7. 

Nice radios.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a pair of these last summer and upgraded both with the Nagoya 701G antenna. On 5 watts I have gotten good reception up to 14 miles. This distance was confirmed with Google Earth. I will attempt greater distances when time permits. My location is Northwest Montana in a valley with mountains on all sides. I do my best to have line of sight work to my advantage. Talking from one town to the next works well as long as I choose a location (elevation) that reduces building obstructions. These radios generally are not affected (in my experience) by trees, hills, etc. I did a lot of reading (research) before I purchased these and have been very happy with the decision.

I purchased a pair of these last summer and upgraded both with the Nagoya 701G antenna. On 5 watts I have gotten good reception up to 14 miles.

My question is what is the difference between Nagoya 701G and Nagoya 701C, which is sold on this site?

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/antennas/products/nagoya-na-701c-antenna

Hello EagleFlight. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy!

I own these radios as well and have concluded that they are indeed a good value. Having used them now extensively, including relentless experimentation, it is with the utmost confidence I can say that trees, their foliage and perhaps ever other physical object between the two antennas does indeed decrease their range. The more obstacles, the greater the cumulative affect.

Case in point. In my immediate vicinity the land is 60% trees or more, the rest a mixture of sparsely located homes (1-6 acre lots), fields/yards and light commercial (gas stations, grocery, etc). Land is mostly flat to slightly rolling. In one direction, talking through the trees I can achieve perfect communication using HTs only up to .4 miles, reliable but noisy out to .6 miles, and thereafter unreliable, noisy and partially usable out to 1.4 miles. If I go another direction (through fields, very few trees, a few houses and a Walmart) but the same basic topology, I can achieve perfect communications at 1 mile plus. The key difference is the quantity/density of trees between the radios.

In my environment, trees have proven to be my greatest obstacle. I enjoy have them around, but they sure can be a pain where good RF range is desired.

I thought you might appreciate the contrasting experience.

Again, welcome to the Forum!

...These radios generally are not affected (in my experience) by trees, hills, etc. I did a lot of reading (research) before I purchased these and have been very happy with the decision.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Had the 805G with factory antenna in camp in Montana last summer.  Handed off to the wife for her drive to the nearest town where there's a cellphone access pullout (no cell coverage where I camp,, yaaa!).  We had a conversation for 5 or more minutes with her on the 805G and me on my Kenwood mobile in my SxS, in camp, behind a 50' or so tree covered hill with open hay fields beyond but not visible.  LOS (which it really wasn't with the hill obstructing) is 15mi. verified by Google Earth.  Had reached her earlier from an opening outside the timber but was very surprised to reach her easily from camp, and to hear back clear as could be.  Maybe I hit the right propagation conditions and will test from the same spot this year and might try HT-HT for snicks.  Also, will have the 701G antennas to try.

Also, easily hit local repeaters at 6 miles from inside my house or shop.

I purchased a pair of these last summer and upgraded both with the Nagoya 701G antenna. On 5 watts I have gotten good reception up to 14 miles. This distance was confirmed with Google Earth. I will attempt greater distances when time permits. My location is Northwest Montana in a valley with mountains on all sides. I do my best to have line of sight work to my advantage. Talking from one town to the next works well as long as I choose a location (elevation) that reduces building obstructions. These radios generally are not affected (in my experience) by trees, hills, etc. I did a lot of reading (research) before I purchased these and have been very happy with the decision.

My question is what is the difference between Nagoya 701G and Nagoya 701C, which is sold on this site?

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/antennas/products/nagoya-na-701c-antenna

The 701G is factory tuned for GMRS frequecies (462 - 457)

The 701C is fractory tuned for commercial UHF frequencies (which includes the 70cm ham band as well).

• 3 weeks later...

Did a 25mi hit with 805G to Kenwood 3170 on simplex Saturday.  Brought up the repeater, spoke with the wife on that then had her switch to 16 simplex.  She listened to the offroad conversation details when we were down in a gully and told me all about it after I got home.  

Scadacore RF LOS attached.

post-2674-0-43336100-1615867509_thumb.jpeg