List of acronyms?

TomWRHZ479

I'm new here so please bear with me.

It would be nice to post a list of acronyms used in this forum. I've been perplexed at some used in threads here.

For instance: CCR = chocolate covered raisins but I know that's not correct.

Can you help?

Tom

It could end up being a rather long list. Here are a few examples. >8-|

http://www.ominous-valve.com/acronyms.txt

https://rsgb.org/main/publications-archives/radcom/supplementary-information/abbreviations-and-acronyms/

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/ham_radio/abbreviations_codes/abbreviations.php

HT ? I think it refers to a hand held radio??

Originally "Handie-Talkie" from the old Motorola terminology for a handheld radio (I believe they were the first to have one that "fit" in your hand, so they coined the term). Now HT is more of just a quick abbreviation for a handheld radio in general, many of us aren't thinking of "Handie-Talkie" unless we're REALLLLLY old.  :lol:

I was going to tackle this project, and compile such a list. ...however, after researching radio and electronics related acronyms, shortcuts, and abbreviations for about 20 minutes, I realized that it was overwhelming, so the only one left for me to consider was OMG!. ...and I quit.  Will be happy to answer one-at-a-time as needed, just not publish 14,000 at once.

I think a fundamental problem is that many of the more difficult acronyms are actually slang and the more common actual radio terms (SWR, LOS, etc.) can be looked up online. For example, the term CCR only appears once in the three lists posted by Lscott, and then it is defined as “Central Control Room.”

However, I do think the initial comment about newcomers to GMRS understanding acronyms is valid. So, I would suggest two things.

First, if you use an acronym in a post, note it’s meaning at the first reference. Example: GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service)...

And second, if you see a term you don’t understand, do as TomWRHZ479 did, ask.

Berkinet made an excellent suggestion in defining the acronym at first use but that doesn't necessarily cover the subsequent uses or other posts where the OP (original poster) realized it was defined in this other post and doesn't see the need to repeat it. Having one list to refer to would solve that issue.

Again, I'm not suggesting an all inclusive list of every acronym used everywhere just the ones used in this forum. As berkinet pointed out CCR only appeared once in 3 lists referenced. My go-to is https://www.acronymfinder.com and the number of results for CCR was daunting.

...As berkinet pointed out CCR only appeared once in 3 lists referenced. ...

And, that reference was wrong.

But, there is another element at work here, one that shows up from time to time on these forms. It is the case of one person needing something that requires other people to do the work to produce. And, where the people capable of producing “whatever,” because of their ability, are the ones who specifically have no use for the end product.

Perhaps another way to approach this would be for the people who need an acronym defined to maintain the list of acronyms. Anytime someone finds a term they do not understand, once they get a definition, they could add it to that list. In that manner, the people creating the list would be the ones most likely to benefit from it, and the list, by its nature, would contain the most needed definitions.

• 1 month later...

[snip...]

Perhaps another way to approach this would be for the people who need an acronym defined to maintain the list of acronyms. Anytime someone finds a term they do not understand, once they get a definition, they could add it to that list. In that manner, the people creating the list would be the ones most likely to benefit from it, and the list, by its nature, would contain the most needed definitions.

I like the idea of an acronym list as it applies to GMRS (or radio in general).  As a newbie here, I just found the myGRMS.com mobile app and I think a new page full of the most used radio related acronyms (maybe 20-50) would be really handy as a activity dashboard selection.  The page could be display only (therefore easier to program), no need for an update feature in the mobile app, as user updates could be done via the myGRMS.com website.

BTW, I really like the mobile app.  I just started developing mobile apps this year (have completed only one so far), and so I have great appreciation for what you have done (Rich, I think -- if not, please apply credit to where it is due).

(How do you like the way I threw in the "BTW" acronym back there? PCE ...or "Pretty clever, eh?"  ...there, I just did it again!).

Thomas

PS - And yes, I'm old enough to have lived listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival on an AM transistor radio.

Can anyone explain what "DPL" stands for when looking at codes for  (activation codes maybe) repeaters?  I understand the DCS & CTCSS but were do DPL's come from and how you set them for a repeater in a mobile station?

I thought it might be DCS but not all these match what I am seeing.

Can anyone explain what "DPL" stands for when looking at codes for  (activation codes maybe) repeaters?  I understand the DCS & CTCSS but were do DPL's come from and how you set them for a repeater in a mobile station?

I thought it might be DCS but not all these match what I am seeing.

DPL is Motorola's name for DCS. Check out the Wikipedia page for CTCSS.

DPL is Motorola's name for DCS. Check out the Wikipedia page for CTCSS.

WRAA720

Has a post on the subject and thanks for the quick reply.  Mine is a Midland MXT400 so if I see that on the repeater listing, I'll just move along....!

Drove a hundred miles out to a couple repeaters yesterday but failed to connect.  One the frequency of the station had changed and I hadn't studied well enough to tag the other.  Still learning...  Little things like the "blinking dot" right after the (Channel #) "CH" .  The dot is there to let you know you are in monitoring mode say, while it stops on an active channel temporarily.

...Mine is a Midland MXT400 so if I see that on the repeater listing, I'll just move along....!

"Quiet Codes" or "Private Codes" above 39 on your Midland will be DCS/DCG/DPL digital tone... whatever.

Read your MXT400 owner's manual.  There is a chart that will tell you which codes are what.

I personally would like to see us stop using all the proprietary and manufacturer specific names such as PL, DPL, QT, QC, etc... and instead just use generic terms such as “Squelch Tone” or “Squelch Code”. They are actually more descriptive as to what they are and do. I would also favor of all manufactures just displaying the code value rather than the proprietary number they assign to it.

YMMV

Michael

WRHS965

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice idea, never gonna happen. Proprietary terms like PL have been around as long as VHF and UHF FM radios and are in common use in commercial radio and ham radio. Besides, and speaking just for myself... I am a lousy typist, especially on a phone, and PL is just a whole lot easier to type than CTCSS.

End of my 2¢

"Quiet Codes" or "Private Codes" above 39 on your Midland will be DCS/DCG/DPL digital tone... whatever.

Read your MXT400 owner's manual.  There is a chart that will tell you which codes are what.

Thank you and I have to remember to get the code listed onto the correct channel.  I seem to have a problem "paying attention to the details" but practice is paying off.

I did print out both for (Channel listing and CTCSS and DCS) quick reference.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of an acronym list as it applies to GMRS (or radio in general).  As a newbie here, I just found the myGRMS.com mobile app and I think a new page full of the most used radio related acronyms (maybe 20-50) would be really handy as a activity dashboard selection.  The page could be display only (therefore easier to program), no need for an update feature in the mobile app, as user updates could be done via the myGRMS.com website.

As time passes, I've collected a few acronyms that I did not know (realizing of course that the pros out there will think these are most basic, but I truly didn't know all of them).  Below is a short list that I think could easily appear as a single activity page on the Mobile App, and would be most helpful to beginners like me.

Here's what I have as a starting point:

Radio Related (obvious ones left out)

Acronym - Meaning

CCR - Cheap Chinese Radio

CSQ -

CTCSS - Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System

DCS - Digital Coded Squelch

FPP -

HT - Hand-held Talkie

LMR - Land Mobile Radio

NB - Narrow Band

OP - Original Poster

ORI - Open Repeater Initiative

OST -

QED -

QSO -

RX - Receive

SAR - Search And Rescue

SMH -

SWR - Short Wave Radio ??

TX - Transmit

WB - Wide Band

WX - Weather        

Common not necessarily radio

Acronym - Meaning

AFAIK - As far as I know

BTW - By The Way

IIRC - If I recall correctly

IMHO - In my humble opinion

IMO - In my opinion

OP - Original Poster

OTOH On the other hand

PCE - Pretty Clever, Eh?

WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor

WFH - Work From Home

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

Please comment if some of these are wrong, and certainly fill in the missing meanings and add any new acronyms that you think should be on the lists.

As time passes, I've collected a few acronyms that I did not know (realizing of course that the pros out there will think these are most basic, but I truly didn't know all of them).  Below is a short list that I think could easily appear as a single activity page on the Mobile App, and would be most helpful to beginners like me.

Here's what I have as a starting point:

Radio Related (obvious ones left out)

Acronym - Meaning

CCR - Cheap Chinese Radio

CSQ -

CTCSS - Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System

DCS - Digital Coded Squelch

FPP -

HT - Hand-held Talkie

LMR - Land Mobile Radio

NB - Narrow Band

OP - Original Poster

ORI - Open Repeater Initiative

OST -

QED -

QSO -

RX - Receive

SAR - Search And Rescue

SMH -

SWR - Short Wave Radio ??

TX - Transmit

WB - Wide Band

WX - Weather        

Common not necessarily radio

Acronym - Meaning

AFAIK - As far as I know

BTW - By The Way

IIRC - If I recall correctly

IMHO - In my humble opinion

IMO - In my opinion

OP - Original Poster

OTOH On the other hand

PCE - Pretty Clever, Eh?

WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor

WFH - Work From Home

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

Please comment if some of these are wrong, and certainly fill in the missing meanings and add any new acronyms that you think should be on the lists.

One that comes to mind not radio-related is TBH = To Be Honest

Is there a radio related meaning for SMH? only one i've see is "Shaking My Head".