New GMRS HT Pending - Wouxun KG-UV9G

mbrun

It's useful only if you have a real need to monitor two separate frequencies simultaneously, which I definitely must have.

With "dual watch" if one frequency is in use, it will stop the "dual watch" and you very well could miss any traffic on the other frequency.

With "dual band" on the other hand, you will never miss any traffic on either frequency, although you might need to quickly lower volume on the receiver you don't need to listen to! :lol:

TDR is a double edge sword. It is great when you need to monitor multiple two frequencies or scan two ranges at the same time. But on an HT it can be bad when you find yourself talking on one side of the radio while audio is being received on the other. The audio from receive side gets picked up by the microphone and retransmitted on the other side, while is simultaneously distracts you, the talking operator.

While I really do like having TDR, I find I have to immediately disable now if I am going to use the radio for its intended purpose, two-way radio communications. I have been caught off guard multiple times in the middle a communications when suddenly the speaker starts reproducing audio from another channel. I wish my radios had the option that would enable muting of the second side when the PTT button is pressed. A user preference setting.

• 4 weeks later...

TDR is a double edge sword. It is great when you need to monitor multiple two frequencies or scan two ranges at the same time. But on an HT it can be bad when you find yourself talking on one side of the radio while audio is being received on the other. The audio from receive side gets picked up by the microphone and retransmitted on the other side, while is simultaneously distracts you, the talking operator. ... I wish my radios had the option that would enable muting of the second side when the PTT button is pressed. A user preference setting.

The Wouxun KG-UV9G and KG-UV9P (and the rest of the 9-Series line) all have control over the TDR muting. You can have the radio mute the sub-band when the main band is Rx/Tx, or both. I always have it muted on Tx unless I'm doing cross-band sat work, in which case you sometimes want to hear the other side, but with an earpiece, as you should always use when full TDR without muting is used. ;)

The Wouxun KG-UV9G and KG-UV9P (and the rest of the 9-Series line) all have control over the TDR muting. You can have the radio mute the sub-band when the main band is Rx/Tx, or both. I always have it muted on Tx unless I'm doing cross-band sat work, in which case you sometimes want to hear the other side, but with an earpiece, as you should always use when full TDR without muting is used. ;)

Which menu setting on the radio does this?

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am new to GMRS. Ihave two radios on order. The Wouxun KG-1000G for my vehicle and the KG-UV9G PRO for a family member (expecting to get it late May/early June).  I am looking for a programming cable.  Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Wouxun KG-UV9D Advanced Programming Software & USB Cable Kit and Wouxun PCO-009 WXUSB “Red” Programming Cable for Wouxun Radios besides the KG-UV9D cable comes with software? Can I get the PCO-009 and download the software separately?

I am new to GMRS. Ihave two radios on order. The Wouxun KG-1000G for my vehicle and the KG-UV9G PRO for a family member (expecting to get it late May/early June).  I am looking for a programming cable.  Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Wouxun KG-UV9D Advanced Programming Software & USB Cable Kit and Wouxun PCO-009 WXUSB “Red” Programming Cable for Wouxun Radios besides the KG-UV9D cable comes with software? Can I get the PCO-009 and download the software separately?

This is the cable I use with all my current models of Wouxun HTs:
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-pco-001.html
This includes a KG-UV9P which the 9G is based on, KG-805G, KG-905G, and KG-UV8H. I speculate that the 001 and 009 cables are identical, just one part number used by BSR and one by BTWR.

Software is freely downloadable. The 9D software is fully compatible with the 9P, and my understanding is the 9G is similarly compatible. I see also that BSR has model-specific software available to freely download as well. You should be able to download and play with it before even ordering a cable.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Edit: It just occurred to me. If the software & cable combination is actually RTS Systems software, you will need the RTS Systems cable. My current understanding is RTS software will only work with the radio when using an RTS Systems cable. However, if it is Wouxun software then Wouxun cable is fine.

4 hours ago, mbrun said:

This is the cable I use with all my current models of Wouxun HTs:
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-pco-001.html
This includes a KG-UV9P which the 9G is based on, KG-805G, KG-905G, and KG-UV8H. I speculate that the 001 and 009 cables are identical, just one part number used by BSR and one by BTWR.

Software is freely downloadable. The 9D software is fully compatible with the 9P, and my understanding is the 9G is similarly compatible. I see also that BSR has model-specific software available to freely download as well. You should be able to download and play with it before even ordering a cable.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Edit: It just occurred to me. If the software & cable combination is actually RTS Systems software, you will need the RTS Systems cable. My current understanding is RTS software will only work with the radio when using an RTS Systems cable. However, if it is Wouxun software then Wouxun cable is fine.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!