Repeater Usage Ability Question

Greg43545

Probably. As long as the same tone is used on both the repeater's input and output, which would typically be the case where "travel Tone" is used.

Again being new to GMRS I'm trying to understand, so please bear with me.

So, according to what I've read, the GMRS Repeater frequencies are already pre-programmed into the MXT400 and that I just need to activate it.

There are actually two repeaters nearby in my area, one being on the freq. of 462.675 MHz / 141.3 Hz, the other being on the freq. of 462.55 MHz / 141.3 Hz.

So I have several questions ..

After I set the freq. on the MXT400 to either 462.675 MHz or 462.55 MHz for the repeater:

1) When you say " Input and Output Travel Tones " are you referring to the Tone Squelch Codes ( CTCSS/DCS Codes ) ?

2) How would I know if they are needed to access these particular Repeaters?

2) If so, where would I find the " tones "?

3) Where would I input them on my 400?

I do not own an MXT 400, so I can’t comment on how you should program it. However I can’t answer your question regarding regarding the travel tone,. “Travel Tone” is just a nickname for the 141.3 Hz PL tone. And, regarding input and output tones. The input tone to the repeater is the tone the repeater requires to be present in order to repeat your signal. The output tone is the tone the repeater transmits to allow you to listen to only the repeater you want and not other activity on the same channel. The input tone and output time do not have to be the same tone. And in fact fairly frequently they are not. This can create a problem if you have an MXT 400 because by default that radio uses the same tone to send to the repeater as well as to receive from the repeater. As noted earlier in another thread, it seems that it is possible to configure the MXT 400 to use different tones. But, for now in your case you don’t need to.

I think I have probably already answered your question number two, but in case it wasn’t clear here is the answer directly. The tones are specified usually with the repeater frequency. For example where you have listed 462.55 MHz/141.3 Hz. The 141.3 Hz is the PL tone. has noted at the start of this post, I don’t know exactly how are you set the tone for a channel. But I’m sure it’s in the manual somewhere, and someone else is likely to come along with an answer for you as well.

You need to activate the repeater channels on your unit.  The transmit and receive frequencies are already plugged in.  Let's say the repeater you want to hit is on channel 20.  Tune to 20 it should say rp for repeater.  Next you need to set the code.  If you look at the table, 141.3hz is on the CTCSS Code chart.  141.3 corresponds to code 22.  So on channel 20 you need to program the CTCSS code to 22.   I'm new to this also but this is my understanding.

I do not own an MXT 400, so I can’t comment on how you should program it. However I can’t answer your question regarding regarding the travel tone,. “Travel Tone” is just a nickname for the 141.3 Hz PL tone. And, regarding input and output tones. The input tone to the repeater is the tone the repeater requires to be present in order to repeat your signal. The output tone is the tone the repeater transmits to allow you to listen to only the repeater you want and not other activity on the same channel. The input tone and output time do not have to be the same tone. And in fact fairly frequently they are not. This can create a problem if you have an MXT 400 because by default that radio uses the same tone to send to the repeater as well as to receive from the repeater. As noted earlier in another thread, it seems that it is possible to configure the MXT 400 to use different tones. But, for now in your case you don’t need to.

I think I have probably already answered your question number two, but in case it wasn’t clear here is the answer directly. The tones are specified usually with the repeater frequency. For example where you have listed 462.55 MHz/141.3 Hz. The 141.3 Hz is the PL tone. has noted at the start of this post, I don’t know exactly how are you set the tone for a channel. But I’m sure it’s in the manual somewhere, and someone else is likely to come along with an answer for you as well.

Thank you for your help, and your patience, in addressing my questions - I greatly appreciate it.

You need to activate the repeater channels on your unit.  The transmit and receive frequencies are already plugged in.  Let's say the repeater you want to hit is on channel 20.  Tune to 20 it should say rp for repeater.  Next you need to set the code.  If you look at the table, 141.3hz is on the CTCSS Code chart.  141.3 corresponds to code 22.  So on channel 20 you need to program the CTCSS code to 22.   I'm new to this also but this is my understanding.

Thank you, THIS has really helped me to understand what I need to do. I appreciate the help.

I know once I get the radio set up and start performing these functions it will become more of a second nature to me and I'll be asking less questions ... ;-)

as noted at the start of this post, I don’t know exactly how are you set the tone for a channel. But I’m sure it’s in the manual somewhere, and someone else is likely to come along with an answer for you as well.

the short explanation is midland does everything in code, probably to fit on the small screens.  they don't display frequencies, just channel numbers.  all the CTCSS (pl) and DCS (dpl) tones are code numbers as well.

the linked image below is a screenshot from the manual for the MXT115 (which will illustrate what midland users get to deal with) , but the tone codes match up with the gxt handhelds as well

https://imgur.com/a/o8tu0li

Good evening airchaplain.

If you’re seeing them on myGmrs.com and you see permission required, you may find a link that will pop up when you click on the repeater on the map. That link will allow you to email them and ask permission. That is what I did. I waited three days I think before I heard back. The link does not give you their email address as I recall. I think you just enter a message and MyGMRS.com forwards it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a MTX 400 and just  got it installed in my truck a few days ago. I've been scouring the net to answer a bunch of questions too. I have found some good links and videos. So I turned on the repeater function through the menu which was easy, I found this site and used the repeater map and I have two repeaters close by to use. So I was setting up the in and out tones and discovered the MTX 400 when entering the CTCSS codes, actually uses frequencies like 141.3 HZ and not a code.  DCS was codes though but they were easy to find a cross reference chart.

My problem is the repeater I want to use which is linked to the Midwest GMRS repeater system  needs a tone out which is DCS and a tone in which is CTCSS.  The Midland radio is set up to use the same in and out tone, I read that there maybe a work around but I cannot find the info. Search function did not help me. If there is one, can anyone point or link me in the right direction?

I recently bought a MTX 400 and just got it installed in my truck a few days ago. I've been scouring the net to answer a bunch of questions too. I have found some good links and videos. So I turned on the repeater function through the menu which was easy, I found this site and used the repeater map and I have two repeaters close by to use. So I was setting up the in and out tones and discovered the MTX 400 when entering the CTCSS codes, actually uses frequencies like 141.3 HZ and not a code. DCS was codes though but they were easy to find a cross reference chart.

My problem is the repeater I want to use which is linked to the Midwest GMRS repeater system needs a tone out which is DCS and a tone in which is CTCSS. The Midland radio is set up to use the same in and out tone, I read that there maybe a work around but I cannot find the info. Search function did not help me. If there is one, can anyone point or link me in the right direction?

@Berkinet and others posted some information here on that topic:

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1837-midland-gmrs-product-updates/page-2?do=findComment&comment=17118