Transmitter power rules...

dwmitchell61

I see that channels 15-22 are limited to 50W for MOBILE, HAND-HELD PORTABLE, REPEATER & BASE, while FIXED is limited to 15W.

FIXED is two base stations dedicated to communicating with each other, perhaps using Yagi antennas?

I also notice that channels 1-7 are limited to 5W ERP (effective radiated power), AND FIXED stations are not listed as authorized.

That being said, it would be a violation to use any antenna greater than unity gain with a transmitter running at 5W?

THEREFORE... One would have to set the transmitter at low power setting (1.5W) if using a 9dBi gain antenna, or would have to switch to a unity gain antenna if at 5W?

The repeater channels RP15 through RP22 is limited to 50W for MOBILE, HAND-HELD PORTABLE, CONTROL (THRU REPEATER OR TEST) and FIXED is again limited to 15W.

I am guessing FIXED to a REPEATER would have a dedicated and aimed Yagi? 

What is a CONTROL radio? Is that a remote control for the REPEATER?

I DO understand the reasoning behind the madness, as it keeps one from "STOMPING" all over the other channel users.

It seems rather easy for the uninitiated to get themselves in trouble rather quickly.

[A)] That being said, it would be a violation to use any antenna greater than unity gain with a transmitter running at 5W?

THEREFORE... One would have to set the transmitter at low power setting (1.5W) if using a 9dBi gain antenna, or would have to switch to a unity gain antenna if at 5W?

[B)] I am guessing FIXED to a REPEATER would have a dedicated and aimed Yagi? 

[C)] What is a CONTROL radio? Is that a remote control for the REPEATER?

A) This is true only as applies to the channels you note (1-7)

B) A fixed station is defined by the FCC as A station at a fixed location that directly communicates with other fixed stations only. 

C) Repeater control is one common use of fixed stations. The control is usually done by audible (DTMF) tones since data is not generally allowed on GMRS. However, a Fixed station could also be used to control a remote station. For example if you lived in a deep valley and had installed a station on a hill-top that you could remotely manage and use as a relay. There are other possible fixed scenarios, but they are similar in nature.