GMRS Repeater Programming

jmwatts77

Question

I bought a repeater to use for GMRS.  I want to program it with the right frequencies to match up to a "Midland 40 Watt GMRS MicroMobile Two-Way Radio" and other handheld radios.  If I want to use GMRS channel 15 what frequencies would I use for Transmit and Receive on the repeater itself?  Also what frequencies is the "Midland 40 watt GMRS Microbomile" using to transmit and receive for channel 15?  They would be exact opposite right?

Repeater = RX 462.5500 TX 467.5500 

Midland 40 Watt MicroMobile or handheld radio = RX 467.5500 TX462.5500

Is this right or is it backwards?  

10 answers to this question

backwards.  Radio simplex is transmit and receive on 462.  When in repeater mode, the radio transmit is 467, still receives on 462.  The repeater listens on 467, and transmits on 462.

...and don't forget to set a CTCSS tone on both transmit and receive of your repeater that is compatible with your Midlands, and also set up your repeater for narrow-band operation for best compatibility with narrow band Midland radios.

...How many CTCSS tones are programmed in the Midland radios?

Not all of them, but I think they have over 30 different tones available.  I do know the most common one is 141.3Hz, or Midland code 20.

You don't need to program in all of the tones, just pick one, and use it.  If it happens to be the same as another local repeater on channel 15, use a different code to prevent interference.

Not all of them, but I think they have over 30 different tones available.  I do know the most common one is 141.3Hz, or Midland code 20.

You don't need to program in all of the tones, just pick one, and use it.  If it happens to be the same as another local repeater on channel 15, use a different code to prevent interference.

Midland code for CTCSS for 141.3 is #22 on their list with the MTX400.  I made that mistake already (hehe)  BUT I didn't need to program code number as the actual frequency appears on the screen as you roll thurogh them.

What I don't get is how to set the CTCSS code for BOTH the RX & XT freq.   When I set  the repeater selection to "Repeater ON" it automatically applies the code to both RX & TX as far as I can tell. The MXT400 then scrolls thru channels 1 - 7, 15 -22 & then rP channels 15 - 22.  

So I have to assume (ass/u/me) it applies the correct code 141.3 to TX & RX.

So I have to assume (ass/u/me) it applies the correct code 141.3 to TX & RX.

that's correct; by default, midland applies the same code to both RX and TX.  This is why midlands generally aren't compatible with "split tones" (when the RX code is different from the TX code), and only the mxt400 has the ability to be reprogrammed to set the codes separately.

This can be a convenience to a new user, and a limitation in some scenarios.

Midland is a good manufacture of two-way radios and follows the FCC rules and regulations to the letter. So, I couldn't imagine why an FCC Part 95 E equipment is unable to be programmed to it's authorized use. I contact Midland to find what the reason is that the bandwidth can't be change.