Largest GMRS Base Station Antenna Avalible?

badspell68

Question

Exactly what I thought...Thanks! Going with the Diamond x300 off of amazon.

Could you suggest a crimping tool and quality connectors?

For LMR400, I use the DX Engineering crimp tool, prep tool and their crimp connectors.

Connectors DXE-PL259CS8U-# (quantity)

Crimp tool DXE-UT-CRIMP2

Prep DXE-UT-405C-P2

I won't use crimp connectors on soft line.  I would buy any major brand silver teflon screw on PL-259 Male UHF connector.  HRO, DXE, DAS are all good. They thread over the outer housing.  You fold the ground braid down, around the outer housing, screw the connector all the way down, drop a bead of solder on the ground braid through the access hole and solder the tip.  Its super strong and you won't have to worry about a poor ground connection.

Edit... Most of the time, the layers are thin enough to cook off while soldering, but sometimes you need to use a file to clear some of the silver teflon off a small area for the solder to take. 

I won't use crimp connectors on soft line.  I would buy any major brand silver teflon screw on PL-259 Male UHF connector.  HRO, DXE, DAS are all good. They thread over the outer housing.  You fold the ground braid down, around the outer housing, screw the connector all the way down, drop a bead of solder on the ground braid through the access hole and solder the tip.  Its super strong and you won't have to worry about a poor ground connection.

Edit... Most of the time, the layers are thin enough to cook off while soldering, but sometimes you need to use a file to clear some of the silver teflon off a small area for the solder to take. 

Just FYI, TMS recommends crimp-on connectors over soldered for UHF, as they provide higher consistency than a soldered joint and better waterproofing.  Then again, their connectors are $15-$20, and the tooling to put them on is similarly expensive.  On UHF with PL-259, especially low power like GMRS, it tends to be more sensitive than VHF or HF.

(Also one big reason I use N connectors when possible).

Just FYI, TMS recommends crimp-on connectors over soldered for UHF, as they provide higher consistency than a soldered joint and better waterproofing.  Then again, their connectors are $15-$20, and the tooling to put them on is similarly expensive.  On UHF with PL-259, especially low power like GMRS, it tends to be more sensitive than VHF or HF.

(Also one big reason I use N connectors when possible).

The connectors I use are screw on.  The bead of solder on the ground is to help prevent the connector from backing or pulling off... not an electrical ground.  The screw on type has a full 360 shield with perfect pressure application all the way around.  I haven't used a true solder on connector since 1988 or 1989.

N type is really the best way to go.  Worth the few extra bucks, all day.

For personal Ham radio and low-budget pro, DX Engineering and Ham Radio Outlet are the two resellers I use the most for miscellaneous supplies. 

I stay away from the pro/commercial distributors unless I am working a contract for a customer.  Commercial distributors typically have really high single item prices or won't sell at all unless you are a reseller buying in bulk.  Like, half a tractor trailer, minimum, kind of bulk. 

"as well" as well as witch antenna?  The Comet 712EFC will work on gmrs as a base?

Yes, the Comet 712EFC will work for base operation. I bought one.

I am now shopping around for a mast solution. I am considering Max Gain systems MK-8-HD push-up fiberglass mast with appropriate guying lines. I am mounting multiple antennas (scanner, Par EndFedz-SWL sloper for HF listening, etc)

For a mast I picked up 4 galvanized 10' "horizontal" steel fence pools from Lowe's, they are slotted so all will insert into each other, $10 each. Doing a 40' pole bolted to the side of the house.

That is a very bad idea. Your antenna is at risk on its own, but now you are building a giant lightning rod. Also, its heavy.

All of my masts or fiberglass.

That is a very bad idea. Your antenna is at risk on its own, but now you are building a giant lightning rod. Also, its heavy.

All of my masts or fiberglass.

Ugh, fiberglass or steel, it's still a lightning rod with a grounded conductor at the top.  Steel will just last much longer and is less prone to catastrophic failure, but fiberglass is easier to work with and lighter.

http://www.arrl.org/lightning-protection

LOL... I know the feeling.  I mean, if you are going to do a proper mast with full lightning arrestors, properly bolted and very deep grounding rods and lines, etc, then that would be a different story.  Otherwise, you're risking burning the house down.

At my house, not only is everything fiberglass with grounding and arrestors on the line, between the mast and house the transmission line is buried underground about 3 feet deep and over 50 feet.  If I take a direct hit, I'm likely still screwed, but close-by and partials will be 100% fine.

Here on this forum, there are some great discussions and several links about commercial grade grounding at home. 

Cmon, lightning rods do not attract lightning.

Depends on your definition of attract. By raising the ground potential to a higher point than surrounding possible paths and providing a path with lower resistance a lightening rod provides a more likely path than any other path within the immediate area.

Here is an interesting article on Antennas and Lightning.

https://eos.org/research-spotlights/antenna-towers-attract-additional-lightning-strikes

From what I have read thus far, it seems that higher something is in the area, the more frequently the area surrounding the high object will be hit compared to areas further way.

Michael

WRHS965

We are talking about 20' mast on top of 20' roof, not the Empire State Building, and not even a cell tower. Naaww, I do not believe 40' grounded mast changes charge field enough to truly attract lightning from the clouds. However, if lightning strikes in close proximity of said rod, the charge will likely to go through the rod, and not through the porch and your cat on that porch.