GMRS newb - need some guidance

jjohns01

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired my grms license with the intent of it being a gateway into amateur radio( let the radio addiction begin). I'm attempting to hit my first repeater.

1. When attempting to contact the repeater as a test, what is the appropriate way to do so. Is it just a matter of keying the mike to get a response or should I broadcast my call sign?

2. Radio setup. As I understand it, I should use a offset of +5.000mhrz and then any ctcss or dpl value specific to the repeater. Should the  the offset be used when not attempting to use the repeater and just making contact locally.

Any additional guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and patience as I claw my way up the learning curve.

Regards,

John

You should key up the repeater, state your call sign, then say something along the lines of "testing...testing". Some people instead of saying "testing" ask for a radio check.

Whatever you do the FCC requires you to identify with your call sign.

Just keying up the repeater to hear the squelch tail and not ID is called "ker-chucking" the repeater and is bad practice, yet you hear people doing it. Some repeaters have anti ker-chucking protection where the transmitter doesn't key up right away, there is a slight time delay. Others need to detect some real audio before going into transmit mode.

You should key up the repeater, state your call sign, then say something along the lines of "testing...testing". Some people instead of saying "testing" ask for a radio check.

Whatever you do the FCC requires you to identify with your call sign.

Just keying up the repeater to hear the squelch tail and not ID is called "ker-chucking" the repeater and is bad practice, yet you hear people doing it. Some repeaters have anti ker-chucking protection where the transmitter doesn't key up right away, there is a slight time delay. Others need to detect some real audio before going into transmit mode.

Thank you.

When I transmit my call sign and say "testing...testing" what should I expect the return to be if I've successfully hit the repeater?

If I am just testing my link, I usually key up and say "This is <call_sign > testing.  No response needed."  Sometimes people will give me a signal report anyway.

As far as the shift... if you are only trying to talk to someone without the repeater in the process, you need to disable the shift/offset so the other station will be able to hear you.

i just ask for a radio check. when i reply to someone saying testing they usually say they are just testing equipment and dont want me to give them a signal report. like i do when im programing a radio. I use another radio to verify. i just have the courtesy not to use the repeater for that. 

If I am just testing my link, I usually key up and say "This is <call_sign > testing.  No response needed."  Sometimes people will give me a signal report anyway.

As far as the shift... if you are only trying to talk to someone without the repeater in the process, you need to disable the shift/offset so the other station will be able to hear you.

thank you

i just ask for a radio check. when i reply to someone saying testing they usually say they are just testing equipment and dont want me to give them a signal report. like i do when im programing a radio. I use another radio to verify. i just have the courtesy not to use the repeater for that. 

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

New here... If I do a signal test like said above how do I know that I am reaching the repeater?

Thanks,

If you were successful, when you let off the PTT button, you should receive a signal without audio for about 1/2-2 seconds. This is because it is fairly common for the repeater to continue to Tx for a short duration after its input signal has gone away.

Michael

WRHS965

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Thanks for all this great info in this thread!   I too am new, and I believe I have reached the 2 local repeaters in my area, with one I hear a squelch tail and have spoken to someone.  On the other when I reach out for a signal test I get a morse code response which I assume means I am hitting it.  But last evening I tried to join a Net on that repeater, and when the Net Control Manager asked for any other folks wanting to join in,  I piped in with my call sign, and it was as if no one heard me.  Is it possible that my signal is just barely strong enough to hit the repeater and get a response from it, but not strong enough for others to hear that signal?

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, WRWM999 said:

Oops...apologies , I see this thread is 2 years old and perhaps I should start a new thread, but this one seemed to apply to all of my questions.

You’re fine ?

I would suggest moving closer and ask for another radio check. 
Are you certain you have the offset right and the transmit tone?  The Morse ID in response to your transmission should indicate that it is I think. 

25 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

You’re fine ?

I would suggest moving closer and ask for another radio check. 
Are you certain you have the offset right and the transmit tone?  The Morse ID in response to your transmission should indicate that it is I think. 

I am using an older Motorola m1225 that was programmed by the person I bought it from.  I am pretty sure he has the offset and transmit tones set they way I asked, but without the motorola RSS software (and an older version of Windows)  I have no way of verifying.  

That sounds like a great idea, I will take it mobile and get closer to the repeater, and see if I get different results.  Thanks for the help!

10 minutes ago, WRWM999 said:

I am using an older Motorola m1225 that was programmed by the person I bought it from.  I am pretty sure he has the offset and transmit tones set they way I asked, but without the motorola RSS software (and an older version of Windows)  I have no way of verifying.  

That sounds like a great idea, I will take it mobile and get closer to the repeater, and see if I get different results.  Thanks for the help!

Otherwise have a friend listen to the repeater while you transmit to see if he can hear you.