Mygmrs link Node

Tcarroll94

Hello all,

I am not new to GMRS but am new to linking system. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can build me a node for the Mygmrs link system or give me links to the parts I can order and try to put it together myself. Been following the node situation for a bit but never got around to actually doing it. Was looking at the plug and play from the GMRS linked network but his waiting list is full and I don’t know how to build a node.

Thanks! WREI881

Hello all,

I am not new to GMRS but am new to linking system. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can build me a node for the Mygmrs link system or give me links to the parts I can order and try to put it together myself. Been following the node situation for a bit but never got around to actually doing it. Was looking at the plug and play from the GMRS linked network but his waiting list is full and I don’t know how to build a node.

Thanks! WREI881

Try this link https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/repeaters-and-accessories/products/repeater-linking-bundle

No Problem! These nodes are setup for duplex repeaters, not sure on what type of project you have going but these are setup for repeaters, “Not Simplex” from my understanding.. Simplex is Not allowed on this system as far as I know.

Oh ok, I was looking for a plug and play node like the GMRS linked system uses. I didn’t think those were simplex either. From my understanding the node acts like your own repeater but they assign you a node number and pre program the linked systems into it so you can connect to the other repeaters on the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ok, I was looking for a plug and play node like the GMRS linked system uses. I didn’t think those were simplex either. From my understanding the node acts like your own repeater but they assign you a node number and pre program the linked systems into it so you can connect to the other repeaters on the system.

This is quoted right from the link you sent me “Add your repeater to our network and you can link to any other repeater(s) in the network, with permission of course! You will be assigned a node number and we will pre-install the software and configure it for you.”

This is quoted right from the link you sent me “Add your repeater to our network and you can link to any other repeater(s) in the network, with permission of course! You will be assigned a node number and we will pre-install the software and configure it for you.”

Again, I just read it somewhere on here, that may have been posted from a few years back. I’m not on here enough to read enough through outdated posts. So again, before ordering double check to see if this LINKED SYSTEM is accepting SIMPLEX. That’s all I really know, I just own duplexed repeaters, never played with SIMPLEX repeater systems, other than peer to peer and group communications. Don’t Quote Me on RULES lol, I’m NOT up to date yet! Good Luck

ame="Tcarroll94" post="18191" timestamp="1599186689"]

Again, I just read it somewhere on here, that may have been posted from a few years back. I’m not on here enough to read enough through outdated posts. So again, before ordering double check to see if this LINKED SYSTEM is accepting SIMPLEX. That’s all I really know, I just own duplexed repeaters, never played with SIMPLEX repeater systems, other than peer to peer and group communications. Don’t Quote Me on RULES lol, I’m NOT up to date yet! Good Luck

Yeah you are right, I just read the whole description of the linking kit. They do not allow simplex, you have to have your own repeater system to hook the node up too.

Yeah you are right, I just read the whole description of the linking kit. They do not allow simplex, you have to have your own repeater system to hook the node up too.

I imposed this restriction for a few reasons:

1. Depending on the skill level of the person wishing to join the network, it may take a lot of hand-holding to get them set up. Unfortunately a lot of people want something completely plug-and-play and that's impossible when you have different radios being used. If we allowed every individual to purchase a kit and had to spend time helping them get their audio levels right and open up the ports in their router, we'd have to charge way more money just to cover our support time.

2. When you have hundreds of nodes trying to link together, you end up with problems with audio loops, poor audio quality, audio level problems, and too many people connecting and disconnecting during a net. This becomes very disruptive when nodes announce the connect and disconnect events, and this makes the net almost impossible to listen to.

3. It goes against the spirit of GMRS and two-way radio in general. If you want to just sit at home and listen to the network, you don't need to use GMRS as an RF link. You'd be better off using a bluetooth speakerphone to your PC or just listen on your phone. I personally don't believe GMRS is meant as a personal hotspot service. Use the RF to cover a wide area, more than just your house.

4. When it comes to expending the least amount of effort for the most amount of return, the best option is to prioritize high-level repeater systems for joining the network. If we have to spend an hour tuning audio for someone and their repeater covers maybe 50 users, that is much more efficient than having to spend 50 hours of effort to get the same people on the air each with their personal "hotspots". 

If the goal is to sell as many linking bundles as possible, then we'd want to allow simplex nodes on the network. However the goal is to build a robust network, and we really sell the bundles at-cost so we can easily add more repeaters to the network. 

I imposed this restriction for a few reasons:

• Depending on the skill level of the person wishing to join the network, it may take a lot of hand-holding to get them set up. Unfortunately a lot of people want something completely plug-and-play and that's impossible when you have different radios being used. If we allowed every individual to purchase a kit and had to spend time helping them get their audio levels right and open up the ports in their router, we'd have to charge way more money just to cover our support time.

• When you have hundreds of nodes trying to link together, you end up with problems with audio loops, poor audio quality, audio level problems, and too many people connecting and disconnecting during a net. This becomes very disruptive when nodes announce the connect and disconnect events, and this makes the net almost impossible to listen to.

• It goes against the spirit of GMRS and two-way radio in general. If you want to just sit at home and listen to the network, you don't need to use GMRS as an RF link. You'd be better off using a bluetooth speakerphone to your PC or just listen on your phone. I personally don't believe GMRS is meant as a personal hotspot service. Use the RF to cover a wide area, more than just your house.

• When it comes to expending the least amount of effort for the most amount of return, the best option is to prioritize high-level repeater systems for joining the network. If we have to spend an hour tuning audio for someone and their repeater covers maybe 50 users, that is much more efficient than having to spend 50 hours of effort to get the same people on the air each with their personal "hotspots".
If the goal is to sell as many linking bundles as possible, then we'd want to allow simplex nodes on the network. However the goal is to build a robust network, and we really sell the bundles at-cost so we can easily add more repeaters to the network.

I completely understand and thank you for the explanation. I was not questioning why you do not allow simplex nodes, more of just making sure I understood and did not break any rules. If I was able to get a repeater up I most definitely would but unfortunately I cannot with my current living situation. I would love to get a repeater up because there is not many open repeaters in range of my house which is why I was looking to get a node.

... I was not questioning why you do not allow simplex nodes, more of just making sure I understood and did not break any rules....

Well, actually you were questioning the rules. And, IMO, it was a legitimate and fair question and a question others here might also have. Unless we ask questions, how else can we learn how and why things are, and what we can, should and shouldn't change.