how to set up a new repeater

EddieK

Question

Hello everyone...

I just got my new GMRS call sign - WRJL204 and now I'm looking for info. on how I can set up a new repeater in my area? 

As of right now we have none in my area...

And I'm working with others to try and set up a network of repeaters for our area....to be used day to day and during area emergencies. If anyone can help me with where and or who I should be getting in contact with would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Ed Koonce

Tonasket, WA.

WRJL204

13 answers to this question

Well, seems like you did the first step which was to make sure there was no repeater in the area.

The next questions you need to answer:

What do you want to get out of your repeater?

Who will be using it?

How will users be using it? (Portable, Base, mobile, Exc)

What kind of terrain do you have around you? (Flat, Buildings/trees, hills/mountains)

How much are you willing to spend?

What features would you like?

Answering these questions gives you a ballpark idea of what you will need and what you'll be spending.

My current set-ups include:

Repeater: (RKR1225/GR1225) This can be an RX/TX radio pair, but I like the cleaner all in one look.
Controller: if using an RX/TX radio pair (Again, repeaters have this all in one usually)

Duplexer: and you'll want a good BP/BR duplexer as the "notch" type duplexers don't seem to get good service range.
Power supply: Can be a straight in power supply, I use a back-up power supply for one of the two repeaters in case the power goes out. Note, whatever power supply you use, it needs to be able to supply 12-13VDC at about 15-20amps depending on what your powering.
Line filter: If you get a buzz or hum during transmit, your power supply may be adding noise into the repeater, a line filter takes care of that.

Jumpers: For connecting repeaters RX/TX to the duplexer

Feedline: As much as you need to get to your antenna,

Antenna: should be higher gain for repeaters.

Optional:

Mast/Tower: If your not on the top of a hill, and you have a lot of buildings or trees you may need to purchase and erect a mast or tower to give you extra height. Rule of thumb is for every doubling of antenna height, your range doubles.

Node controller: There are a few out there. MyGMRS sells them as well.

Radio interface for node controller: Need to connect to the radio somehow

Computer/Programming software/programing cable: For adjustments and programming of the repeater if you know how to do this.

Come up with a plan and RESEARCH before buying any equipment.

What's your terrain like? Have you scouted out a location ? Are you guys building or buying a repeater?

Well...Tonasket is at the bottom of a valley floor, we are at 1000ft. and have mountains on both sides of us that can reach up to and over 4000ft.. we do have some area USFS lookouts in the area and one HAM repeater to our South. I'm looking at 2 to 3 areas in our area that I maybe able to get a repeater setup on...I just need to find out what it will take...MTN Hall (to my North), Aeneas Mountain Lookout (to our West), Bonaparte Mountain Lookout (to our East) and tunk Mountain repeater (to our South)

Well, seems like you did the first step which was to make sure there was no repeater in the area.

The next questions you need to answer:

What do you want to get out of your repeater?

Who will be using it?

How will users be using it? (Portable, Base, mobile, Exc)

What kind of terrain do you have around you? (Flat, Buildings/trees, hills/mountains)

How much are you willing to spend?

What features would you like?

Answering these questions gives you a ballpark idea of what you will need and what you'll be spending.

My current set-ups include:

Repeater: (RKR1225/GR1225) This can be an RX/TX radio pair, but I like the cleaner all in one look.

Controller: if using an RX/TX radio pair (Again, repeaters have this all in one usually)

Duplexer: and you'll want a good BP/BR duplexer as the "notch" type duplexers don't seem to get good service range.

Power supply: Can be a straight in power supply, I use a back-up power supply for one of the two repeaters in case the power goes out. Note, whatever power supply you use, it needs to be able to supply 12-13VDC at about 15-20amps depending on what your powering.

Line filter: If you get a buzz or hum during transmit, your power supply may be adding noise into the repeater, a line filter takes care of that.

Jumpers: For connecting repeaters RX/TX to the duplexer

Feedline: As much as you need to get to your antenna,

Antenna: should be higher gain for repeaters.

Optional:

Mast/Tower: If your not on the top of a hill, and you have a lot of buildings or trees you may need to purchase and erect a mast or tower to give you extra height. Rule of thumb is for every doubling of antenna height, your range doubles.

Node controller: There are a few out there. MyGMRS sells them as well.

Radio interface for node controller: Need to connect to the radio somehow

Computer/Programming software/programing cable: For adjustments and programming of the repeater if you know how to do this.

Come up with a plan and RESEARCH before buying any equipment.

SEE HIGHLIGHTED, bellow...

Here's what I'm hoping to do - 

Set-up a system of area repeaters that can interact with one another; for and during area emergencies...bot, people can also use day to day....

What do you want to get out of your repeater? a way to have - one more way of Communications for people during emergencies

Who will be using it? to have it available to everyone in our area.

How will users be using it? (Portable, Base, mobile, Exc)  On both base and on portables/mobiles

What kind of terrain do you have around you? (Flat, Buildings/trees, hills/mountains)    ALL hills/mountains

How much are you willing to spend?  we may be getting funding for this project...I need to come up with the numbers.

What features would you like?   I think right now, my biggest feature I need is a way that "during emergencies" we can post to one of the repeaters and it can be head on all of them....

I wouldn't bother looking too far north, since you seem to be less than 10 miles from Canada.  That will eliminate 2 of the available channels that you can use as well.

Are you just wanting to cover your town, or a much larger area?  Other towns to the south?

...and the most important question: Is there one high point that you are able to see from all of the points where you would like to be able to communicate from?  If so, is there already a tower there? Phone? FM Radio? TV station?

To start out we are looking to cover the area around here in town and then being able to add from their....within our area we have a lot of "Off Gridders" in our area. So were looking to add-on and build from...

As for one main "communicate area" it was just rebuilt-up 2 weeks ago after a wildfire hit our area...and is still burning...we lost everything - phones/cell, wifi, internet and ALL power we were in a "Grid Down" scenario...at the time my only communicates was coming from my UV5R handheld, for the scanner and the repeater up on Tunk MTN (to the South), so I was very lucky to have that running and a way to keep my neighbors up to date...

a way to have - one more way of Communications for people during emergencies

Ok, you need a power system that has back up power, either through a site generator or battery back-up. Any equipment used for emergency's needs to have back-up power so that the equipment is available during long term power outages. This includes things such as node controllers and internet modems/connections. You will also need to figure out how much battery power you will need.

Available to be used by all/ mobiles portable base use

Ok, you need someplace high that can overlook any areas you wish to communicate with the system. This rules out using a simple rooftop or TV mast mounted antenna. If you can find a tower site you'll be better off, however many times there are monthly fees for tower sites.

ALL hills/mountains

The higher you get the better the system will work (in theory) Mounting a repeater on a hill or mountain top will increase range, however using high gain antennas could create dead areas below the repeater. Keep this in mind.

I think right now, my biggest feature I need is a way that "during emergencies" we can post to one of the repeaters and it can be head on all of them....

You need reliability and dependability. You'll need to find a repeater with a 100% duty cycle and back-up power ability's. You'll need good feed-line and antenna and reasonable bonding. You'll also want to come up with a contingency plan to keep the repeater running during any emergency's that come up.

If you can get a repeater onto one of those mountain tops, you could get 50-60 miles or even more with just a 25 Watt radio.  UHF is very much line-of-sight communications.  If you can see it, you can talk to it.  If it is behind the hill, you cannot.

You mentioned that you have a UV5R handheld, so I assume that you are also a licensed ham operator. GMRS will give you the exact same coverage as the 70cm (440) Ham band.  It will give you just slightly less coverage than the 2 Meter ham band, given the same power level.

One thing I would warn against in your area: do NOT use high gain antennas. Simple quarter-wave whips on vehicles, and at most a 6dB gain base station antenna will be great, since there will be many times when you will be broadcasting "straight up" to a repeater.

So what would be needed for setting up a home/rooftop repeater to start out with; just for here in town for now?

Find the tallest building in town, and ask to put an antenna on top of it. Also ask to put a repeater inside the building somewhere, like in a elevator head-house or something like that.

Looking at the satellite view of your town, I would say that the North Valley Hospital roof would be the best candidate for a GMRS local area repeater, if they will let you put one up there.  That should give you hand-held coverage throughout the whole town, and perhaps beyond.

Looking at the satellite view of your town, I would say that the North Valley Hospital roof would be the best candidate for a GMRS local area repeater, if they will let you put one up there.  That should give you hand-held coverage throughout the whole town, and perhaps beyond.

And an almost 100 percent chance they will have backup power!