Wouxun KG-805G programming

roc54

Question

Greetings!  New to the forum.  I've had my GMRS license for about 9 months and I'm also an amateur radio operator.

I recently purchased a Wouxun KG-805G HT, which is Part 95 type accepted for GMRS. It comes pre-programmed with the GMRS channels, including the repeater channels. The repeater channels are identified by number and repeater designation ("RPT20", for example). This makes things a bit unwieldy, because you have to remember the channel number and its relationship to the repeater frequencies you wish to use and then you have to manually go in and set the CTCSS or DCS tones every time you use that channel for a different repeater.

Mostly out of curiosity, I checked CHIRP to see if I could identify other unprogrammed channels in the radio. My objective was to program specific repeaters and their tones and names in those unprogrammed channels, if they existed. I found that CHIRP does not identify the KG-805G as a radio which it can program; however, I also found that if you use the program for the Wouxun KG-816, it does, in fact, allow the uploading and downloading of data from and to the radio. Doing so revealed that the KG-805G has quite a few unprogrammed channels. I put in my favorite GMRS repeaters into the CHIRP programming matrix and then successfully uploaded them to the KG-805G. I also stopped scanning on the pre-programmed channels in the radio and allowed scanning on the channels I had programmed, so now I can scan my favorite repeaters.

This may already be known to other KG-805G users, but I thought I'd put it on here in case someone didn't know.

Incidentally, I really like the radio.

23 hours ago, WRMR565 said:

I don’t know much about macs but chirp does list a Mac version for download. 
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

I believe that back when he posted his comment, CHIRP in all of its versions, had not yet installed a driver for that particular radio.  It came later...

Well well, I've got a KG-805G that's not receiving or transmitting anymore after a CHIRP slip-up. I've been playing around with CHIRP-next which is a huge improvement over the UI in my opinion. I tried to write a config to the radio with CHIRP-next and it didn't want to see the radio, so I downgraded to CHIRP-daily and tried to write the config that I had saved from CHIRP-next. After writing the config to the radio the radio started to behave strangely and revert to Chinese language and beep being on after every power cycle, and TX/RX weren't working anymore. So a word of caution with CHIRP-next.

Now, if someone would be so nice as to send me a KG-805G config for CHIRP from a working radio I would love to try to flash it and see whether it fixes my unit. 

I've tried flashing a working config using the trashy Wouxun software and the radio still won't TX/RX.

(There's a chance the TX/RX issue is from the radio getting wet which happened in parallel with the programming issues...)

update: I was sent a firmware which confirms that the radio can still RX/TX, still trying to sort out some details. More over here.. .

Moral of the story seems to be: Don't edit an image in CHIRP-next, save it, and then install it in CHIRP-daily.

Edited by WROS490
update

Just got my 805g and used the 816g profile in CHIRP to program some channels and it works fine for that. What it doesn't do is let you see the Settings of the radio.  I tried some of the other profiles and found that the KG-818 and KG-UVD1P work as well. Still no Settings though.

1 hour ago, WRXB215 said:

@WSAA635 I prefer *nix systems myself but I have to use Windoze for work. The plus side of using Windoze is that you can run pretty much any radio programming software on it. Just get a cheap, Win 10 laptop and you'll be set.

I'm sure if I wanted to take the time I could install WINE and Play on Linux and get it working or even go into VirtualBox and spin up a Win10 VM and do stuff from there but I'm just too lazy, LOL. I've been running a Linux Distro of one kind or another since Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I'm running a Debian spin called MX-Linux(23.1)with the KDE Desktop and I absolutely love it. I just upgraded from 19.1 so I could get the latest kernnel and features.  Long as I can program the channels into my radio I'm fine if I can get the settings from the radio set. Some radios aren't as user friendly and you really need CHIRP to get the the settings but with the KG-805G there's really not much to set so I'm good.