Radio programming - zones

Savage

Hi all,

So I've got my base station all setup (Kenwood 8360HK), the software is very intuitive and I'm doing a good amount of listening and making changes to how I have the radio configured.

What I'm curious about is how you're all using the configurable zones in your radios?  I've got zone 1 setup with all the basic GMRS channels, no tones configured.  The second zone I've got setup for use with the Midland handhelds and the 15 watt mobile for direct communications with my family and have a channel with the travel tone configuration.  The third I've setup solely for repeaters, but of course I don't have access to or use any repeaters yet, but there are a couple locally here so I do hear some conversations.

So what's your general approach to programming your radios?

Zones are for, as you have done, sorting channels into groups. I have set Zone 1 as local repeaters, Zone 2 as all repeater channels, Zone 3 for conventional GMRS channels and Zone 4 I added local FD/EMS.

as for ID number, many kenwood radios have two ID modes. Fleetsync and MDC1200. If configured the ID number will be send on each transmit, and if you configure your radio correctly, it will display a name when the code is received. These modes will also allow you to page particular users, and even send messages.

Zones are for, as you have done, sorting channels into groups. I have set Zone 1 as local repeaters, Zone 2 as all repeater channels, Zone 3 for conventional GMRS channels and Zone 4 I added local FD/EMS.

as for ID number, many kenwood radios have two ID modes. Fleetsync and MDC1200. If configured the ID number will be send on each transmit, and if you configure your radio correctly, it will display a name when the code is received. These modes will also allow you to page particular users, and even send messages.

It's great to hear I'm on the right track.  Thank you very much for sharing the approach and also the info about the ID number. 

You touched on something else that I'm curious about, which is the ability to configure the radio to listen in on other channels outside of GMRS since it's configurable.  How did you figure out the FD/EMS frequencies?  I haven't spent a ton of time on it but have looked to see what other frequencies in the range this radio can be configured for are dedicated to but either I don't understand the information (I've found lists but don't understand what they're telling me) or I haven't actually found the right thing.

I use Kenwood radios also. What I do as far as zones is that I’ll dedicate a zone to each repeater output, e.g., a zone for 550, 575, 600, 625, 650, 675, 700, and 725. I have travel tone in all of them and any other repeaters are categorized according to output frequency. I don’t program a corresponding TA with them because I assign a key for the TA feature. Then I assign a zone for any specific simplex frequency/tone combinations I want to store.

I use Kenwood radios also. What I do as far as zones is that I’ll dedicate a zone to each repeater output, e.g., a zone for 550, 575, 600, 625, 650, 675, 700, and 725. I have travel tone in all of them and any other repeaters are categorized according to output frequency. I don’t program a corresponding TA with them because I assign a key for the TA feature. Then I assign a zone for any specific simplex frequency/tone combinations I want to store.

This is an interesting approach.  

TA = tone assignment?

I've got a bit to learn about this radio not just about functions and capabilities but just general "radio stuff."  I initially bought some Midland hand helds and the MXT115 for SHTF but this is getting very interesting.  I go back and forth regretting the MXT115 because for the same price I got the 8360HK which is clearly, far superior, but then I convince myself that the MXT115 is actually a nice "portable" because I can just plug in to any cigarette lighter type plug in a vehicle and use it (probably need a better antenna).  But now I'm struggling with whether I should buy another Kenwood and do a permanent install in my car. I hear this is the normal progression.  :)

It's great to hear I'm on the right track.  Thank you very much for sharing the approach and also the info about the ID number. 

You touched on something else that I'm curious about, which is the ability to configure the radio to listen in on other channels outside of GMRS since it's configurable.  How did you figure out the FD/EMS frequencies?  I haven't spent a ton of time on it but have looked to see what other frequencies in the range this radio can be configured for are dedicated to but either I don't understand the information (I've found lists but don't understand what they're telling me) or I haven't actually found the right thing.

This varies by radio. Some radios will only cover 450-480, others cover 440-520 and more cover 400-520 and even the VHF band. As long as a dept uses a frequency your radio can pick up, you could add it to your radio. PLEASE IF YOU DO THIS, ENSURE TRANSMIT IS DISABLED FOR THOSE CHANNELS AS CONVICTION FOR INTERFERING ON PUBLIC SAFETY FREQUENCIES CAN RESULT IN MASSIVE FINES AND EVEN JAIL TIME!!!!!!

Other than that, if your curious, look at your area on Radioreference.com. This will tell you most of the frequencies that are used by your local depts.

Also, TA=Talkaround. It by-passes repeaters to allow two mobile and/or portable stations to talk directly rather than through a repeater.

This varies by radio. Some radios will only cover 450-480, others cover 440-520 and more cover 400-520 and even the VHF band. As long as a dept uses a frequency your radio can pick up, you could add it to your radio. PLEASE IF YOU DO THIS, ENSURE TRANSMIT IS DISABLED FOR THOSE CHANNELS AS CONVICTION FOR INTERFERING ON PUBLIC SAFETY FREQUENCIES CAN RESULT IN MASSIVE FINES AND EVEN JAIL TIME!!!!!!

Other than that, if your curious, look at your area on Radioreference.com. This will tell you most of the frequencies that are used by your local depts.

Also, TA=Talkaround. It by-passes repeaters to allow two mobile and/or portable stations to talk directly rather than through a repeater.

Thanks for the link and I’ll absolutely ensure I can’t transmit on those freqs, appreciate the reminder.

hmmmm, need to look at what Talkaround is, not sure I understand the feature.

Thanks  again!