gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:18 PM

Maybe I did, I am sorry if I did. 

I think you meant to say the Yaesu FT-857D, which is a really good radio, certainly not a CCR. I have no comments on the Xeigu, but its probably another CCR HF flavor... sorry but no love for CCRs here... had too many of those and I feel cheated.

The 868 is not really a total CCR, @ 180 bucks or so, if not more... While its a decent radio, its not on the same league as the XPR7550e.

Lucky dog!!, my Alinco broke from a 4 feet fall, screen internally cracked... and that was the end of it.

The TH-F6a was the radio I used to carry before the Alinco MD5, still own 2 of those, they are IMO the best portable ever built... b/c it had everything, it could hear anything from DC to daylight... but sadly, now everything is digital so the TH-F6a is only decent for listening HF stuff, and while its receiver is not too bad, it still lags way behind the 7550e.

G.

I got the impression that you overlooked my critical comments regarding the CCR gear. I was on a quest to find the best dual-band, analog and DMR HT I could find. Thus far I've been very happy with my AT-868. One of the first things I bought for it was a very well made leather case, and yes I have dropped it more than once with no damage except to my ego. I'm normally not that clumsy!  :wacko:

Absent that I'd wind up carrying three HTs at the same time: UHF/Analog XPR 7550, a 2m HT, and a 1.75m HT! I'd look even more like a dork carrying all that hardware, especially when the combined weight pulled my drawers down...  :wub:

As it happens, I own two service monitors and have run extensive tests on all of my gear. One is a CT-Systems 3000 and the other (better one) is an IFR-1200 Super S. Both are fully calibrated and I keep them so via a 10MHz Iridium standard. I like to keep my gear in peak condition. I offer my services free of charge to any licensed ham or GMRS operator in the local area.

As for any future possible SHTF event, I'd trust any of my commo needs to my IC-7300, AT-857D and Xeigu G90 HF gear. The 857D stays in my car, along with a Kenwood V71A and a CS-800D (dual band analog/DMR).  ;)

#22 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:28 AM

Maybe I did, I am sorry if I did. 

I think you meant to say the Yaesu FT-857D, which is a really good radio, certainly not a CCR. I have no comments on the Xeigu, but its probably another CCR HF flavor... sorry but no love for CCRs here... had too many of those and I feel cheated.

It was my clumsy fingers that caused that, indeed I meant to type FT-857D. As for the Xeigu G90 it is indeed made in China, but the build quality and superior parts used push it into the same category as any of the three Japanese brands, as does the price!

I was honestly amazed to discover that it actually receives slightly better than my IC-7300, and transmits equally well. I put a two way coax switch and set both radios to the same frequency in the 20m band. I also set the 7300 to 20 watts to match the G90. I made six contacts in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas. During the contacts I switched between the two randomly.

Each of the six reported no change in signal quality. In fact they weren't convinced I'd actually changed radios!  :D  However, when receiving, the G90 produced a much richer and fuller sound with far less hiss. It was far more pleasant to listen to.

Imagine my shock discovering that the $500 Xeigu G90 was easily as good as my $1000 IC-7300!  :blink:

Okay, the 7300 does have more "Bells and Whistles" than the G90, but still...  ;)

BTW, I still have and use my really ancient Kenwood TM-V7A. The blue/white screen died about 12 years ago, but the radio still works perfectly! I keep it parked on my club's 2m and 70cm repeaters. I was at a pre-Covid hamfest last winter and found a brand spanking new TM-V7A still in the box! I offered the guy $100 for it and he said "Okay." So I have a brand new "old" radio as a backup.

• gman1971 likes this

#23 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:49 AM

Surprising to hear the Xeigu is as good as the ICOM, but at 500 it better be...

My experience with expensive China radios hasn't been as good, the AT-578UV, a 400 dollar triband mobile DMR/FM is measurable inferior to my (used, but less expensive) XPR 5550e in terms of stability (hangs all the time), screen quality and of course, the utmost important part, in RX performance... the only thing the Anytone has going is multi band and Single Frequency Repeater in DMR, which would be a very nice feature if the darn radio didn't freeze up after sitting idle for 20 minutes in SFR mode... so, the radio is useless. Its collecting dust on my shelf... I use EVX-5300 for all my infrastructure...

TM-V7A... wow... that is pushing right there.. .the TH-F6a was produced since 2001 IIRC... it still is a great radio, but all you hear noawadays is MotoTRBO/digital noises anywhere else outside the HF bands...

G.

#24 tweiss3

tweiss3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFV692
  • Ham Callsign:KE8OWX

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:35 AM

I only run any of my UHF gear in analog mode on GMRS. While I had my 868 on the service monitor I adjusted the output to 5.0 watts mainly to prolong battery life.

As for Part 95, I'm not the least bit concerned. I have yet to find a GMRS repeater on the air that is Part 95 certified, and precious few users who's HTs and/or mobiles are Part 95 for that matter. :ph34r:

I knew you know the rules, just had to be said.

That being said, I have CS800Ds in my cars. I was looking for a 857D for my wife's car, but couldn't find one for reasonable.

#25 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:14 PM

That being said, I have CS800Ds in my cars. I was looking for a 857D for my wife's car, but couldn't find one for reasonable.

I got an email from Jerry about six months ago letting me know that he was clearing out some orphans from their warehouse (new, old stock) and had a single CS800D to sell. I bought it immediately for $199.00. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet! I am planning to program it and replace the CS800 UHF currently in my car with it.

Last year around a week before Dayton Hamvention, Jerry ran a discount on the BFD (Big Freaking Display) for the CS800 for $199.00, I snapped that up quickly! I have it mounted on a flexible stalk and angled towards the driver's seat. It has a lot of really cool features, including two memory functions: touching the screen where the Zone is displayed will allow me to select any of up to 16 Zones with a single tap, with the other memory function I can tap on the center of the screen and choose from among 16 Zone+TG presets. The huge 7" diagonal full-color screen is easily readable.

Even cooler is that the BFD will support a single 800D, or 800(U) and 800(V), plus an FT-857! I got lucky at eBay about a year ago and got my FT-857D from a fellow ham who'd bought it and then changed his mind before even unboxing it and sold it to me for $650. The darn ATAS120A antenna however is rather expensive so I had to buy one from a dealer. Gigaparts had the best price at $369. Fortunately I already had a diplexer for HF and V/U so saved $70...

#26 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:35 PM

TM-V7A... wow... that is pushing right there.. .the TH-F6a was produced since 2001 IIRC... it still is a great radio, but all you hear noawadays is MotoTRBO/digital noises anywhere else outside the HF bands...

Yeah, it is a real dinosaur alright! I bought it new in 1996 the year it was released. It was retailing for almost $700, which is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1,161.22 in 2020, a difference of $461.22 over 24 years...

...and I just bought a virgin one for $100! Actually I bought it more for the display; the radio itself was a bonus. When Kenwood developed the new screen module, the replaced defective one for free, as long as it was within 3 years of original purchase and an original receipt. For everyone else they sold them for $172.

#27 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:44 PM

Well, the CS800 is not much more than a CCR mobile, from what I've heard from other forums, its not a particularly good radio... I think its made in China by CoValue... 

I asked them, CS, a while ago for performance figures vs the 5550e and their answer was: "Get the Motorola, you'll be happier." The guy was certainly honest... and I thank him for that. I now have two 5550e, one U one V, and are the best radios I've owned to date in terms of receiver performance for their respective bands, nothing comes close, not even my best aligned EVX-5400 can touch these XPR5550e.... Sometimes I wish that such mesmerizing TFT screen could support some minigames... would be awesome to write a small retro game for it... haha... can you imagine? the police officer playing Tetris on the 5550e while clocking speeders... :)

G.

I got an email from Jerry about six months ago letting me know that he was clearing out some orphans from their warehouse (new, old stock) and had a single CS800D to sell. I bought it immediately for $199.00. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet! I am planning to program it and replace the CS800 UHF currently in my car with it.

Last year around a week before Dayton Hamvention, Jerry ran a discount on the BFD (Big Freaking Display) for the CS800 for $199.00, I snapped that up quickly! I have it mounted on a flexible stalk and angled towards the driver's seat. It has a lot of really cool features, including two memory functions: touching the screen where the Zone is displayed will allow me to select any of up to 16 Zones with a single tap, with the other memory function I can tap on the center of the screen and choose from among 16 Zone+TG presets. The huge 7" diagonal full-color screen is easily readable.

Even cooler is that the BFD will support a single 800D, or 800(U) and 800(V), plus an FT-857! I got lucky at eBay about a year ago and got my FT-857D from a fellow ham who'd bought it and then changed his mind before even unboxing it and sold it to me for $650. The darn ATAS120A antenna however is rather expensive so I had to buy one from a dealer. Gigaparts had the best price at $369. Fortunately I already had a diplexer for HF and V/U so saved $70...

#28 WRFV510

WRFV510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFV510
  • Ham Callsign:none

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:46 AM

they go make a hard screen protector for the 7550 7550e ITEM #: AY000267A01

#29 Lscott

Lscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRBZ532
  • Ham Callsign:KC8LDO

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:59 AM

TM-V7A... wow... that is pushing right there.. .the TH-F6a was produced since 2001 IIRC... it still is a great radio,

G.

I still have my very first radio, a Kenwood TH-G71A dual band, I purchased new. Had some repairs done on it over the years but still in great shape and working. Only draw back is it can't do narrow band.

• gman1971 likes this

#30 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:16 AM

One feature of the TM-V7A that I truly wish they'd carried over to the newer TM-V71A was having the requirement to 'split' the memory into VHF/UHF segments. This way the left side (A) would be all VHF, and the other side (B) would be all UHF frequencies, so when in scan mode one had full control over scan results.

The way the TM-V71A does NOT allow this band separation makes scanning practically worthless since one is scanning the entire set of programmed frequencies on both A and B simultaneously!

#31 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:25 PM

Nice!!

I still have my very first radio, a Kenwood TH-G71A dual band, I purchased new. Had some repairs done on it over the years but still in great shape and working. Only draw back is it can't do narrow band.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users