GMRS emergency channel?

frao74

Hello everyone!

Probably a dumb question, but here it goes... Is there a specific GMRS channel that could be considered "For emergency use only"  kind of an homologous to channel 9 in CB? I am aware that for the most part, GMRS is for local communications, but I was wondering if I happen to be somewhere, and there is an emergency, if there is a specific channel considered as such that I can use to call someone (assuming it is somehow monitored)...

Thanks!!

WRJA906

Howdy.

Most consider 675 to be the unofficial "travelers aid" or "emergency" channel. However there are certainly no restrictions on using it for anything. REACT where I live in Dallas, Texas has a 600 and 675 repeater in downtown, the 675 is open for anyone to use however it's reserved for REACT during events. During the downtown shooting where 5 Dallas Police Officers were shot and killed the 675 channel had emergency traffic on it for people downtown that were in the area, and it was heavily used. It was the only actual emergency I've ever heard over any radio service GMRS or amateur, I always have my base station at home and mobile in the car monitoring 675 for both simplex and repeater operation.

WQXR714.

Note that unlike other radio services (notably CB and Amateur) there is no general assumption about contacting strangers or about use while traveling away from home. In that respect, GMRS is more like business radio.  So, while you may well find emergency or other services in any given area, I would certainly not count on it.  If you travel a lot, CB and/or Ham would probably serve you better in an emergency situation.

I recently learned that there was some prepper movement towards establishing a channel to use for a future SHTF event. It does not address GMRS specifically, but it does address FRS, so since they share the same frequencies it may be worth a look. Here is a link.

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/3-3-3-radio-plan-for-shtf-communications/

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Edit. I reviewed list again, and they do advocate a GMRS frequency as well. 462.6000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me like with my CB when traveling I set my mobile unit on scan as it then scans all frequencies. If we are in the woods with our Jeeps I still prefer the scan set  up because if someone wants to talk to me and they key up I will hear them and be able to respond. This system on the CB has helped me avoid long freeway delays dur to accidents etc.!! I am sure the same will happen with my usage of GMRS with CB on trips.