Somewhat bummed

STTScott

Given your physical location and your apparent need, general contact with other users and no immediate personal communications needs, you should seriously consider concentrating on ham radio.  There are a universe of options available to you and several are likely to work well.  You might even find there are ham repeaters near you.  Just search online for ham repeater listings.

Here is one such list https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/Display_SS.php?state_id=78&loc=%&call=%&use=%

I am in the process of studying for my Technician license test. But I figured GMRS was a good bridge in the meantime. And there is a Ham club on thos island that I've gotten involved with. I learned the value of amateur radio back in the 1970s, Little steps, my friend. Little steps.

... Little steps, my friend. Little steps.

Suite yourself. I was only trying to help you. Just keep in mind, GMRS is not really a stepping stone to ham radio. They are two separate services, each with its own purpose.  Many, many people start with ham radio because it provides what they are looking for in a general radio service. GMRS, on the other hand, while usable for local communications with strangers, like ham 440mHz, is historically, and still to a large extent, designed for communications within existing groups, like families. This is apparent from the licensing model.  For that reason. it is quite possible that you will find, as you seem to have already noticed, that there may be few to no people to talk to.  

And, a final point to make all of this clear. There is no GMRS equivalent of "CQ."

• 2 weeks later...

This has been an intresting tecnical conversation about things this right-brained guy will never understand. Anyway, I found out today that the reason for the crickets is because, as someone pointed out earlier, this Caribbean island is a GMRS ghost town -- and not because there's an antenna issue. Forum member Terry WRJU327 was vacationing on one of the nearby island and we were able to connnect. Granted, the other island is roughly 7 miles away with a mountain between here and there, but I'm only running a Baofeng 8w handheld in my apartment with a 16" Nagoya UT-72 mobile antenna outside the door until a few more pieces of equipment come in to have an actual base setup with my Ed Fong UHF and VHF antennas lash to a 6' PVC-pipe mast (when you're a renter there's only so much you can get away with. Landlords get twitchy once you get near the 15' level, even tho the setup isn't nailed down to anything). Anyway, my Fong UHF antenna at around 12' should do me a bit better, and the 50w mobile that I ordered should do me even alot better.

Still you guys put on angood conversation that makes my eyes glaze over :)

Scott

WJX210

Glad I was able to make contact with you while my family was vacationing down there.  It was also my first contact using a Baofeng 8W handheld with a stock antenna I had just purchased.  Your signal was loud and clear. 

My wife even forgave me for bringing it when I finally made contact, she thought it was great after that, and now wants a base unit at home, lol.

Terry

WRJU327

I'll be travelling to the US VI soon here.  I've been the main supplier of all the in vehicle laptops (Toughbooks) for the police, fire, ems, and for the hospitals.  I have some monster meetings and installs coming up (Which I was supposed to go down in March then the over-hyped rona appeared.... But I digress there...).  Anyways I'm planning on bringing both a high power (45W) and my hand held to try to make some contacts from my hotel room.  I don't know yet when I'm going (probably another couple months here if I had to guess) but I will call out when I do get there!

I've enjoyed reading the conversations and thanks for all your input Gman!!  I've learned a lot from reading all what you wrote!  Very helpful!

Glad I could help.

Much like I told another person to leave the "Americans think they are the world" comments out of their posts, I have to agree with Berkinet on his assestment. I think I speak for most people here when I say "nobody here has had a good time during this whole situation..."  However, stating that something is over-hyped might not sit well with a random person who reads the post and has had a relative, or dear one die b/c of it. I am pretty certain the situation is not over-hyped for that person.

Again, please forgive me if you feel I am trying to overstep on your 1st Amendment, I am not, and you're free to say whatever you want, however, always remember that whatever you say will always have consequences... and especially so in written form. (and I know that well) 

Cheers!

G.

..Again, please forgive me if you feel I am trying to overstep on your 1st Amendment,...

I agree with your comment about accepting responsibility for the consequences of our words [and actions] while keeping in mind the 1st amendment to the US Constitution applies specifically to the government:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Courts have held the term Congress to apply to government in general. However, private enterprises and citizens are not bound by this amendment. So, whatever freedom of expression we have on this forum is limited to that which the owners and operators allow us.  Fortunately, on this forum we have been given a fairly broad latitude in this respect. However, along with that privilege of expression comes the responsibility to use it thoughtfully and not abuse it.