#1 cliff

cliff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationReinholds, PA
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFS542

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:04 AM

Another question...I have my GMRS antenna mounted on my roof rack on my Jeep JL. The roof of the Jeep is fiberglass. The roof rack crossbars are aluminum. I have the antenna mounted to the crossbar on an approximately 8" long 3" wide 1/4" thick piece of steel. Should I run a ground wire from the steel mount to the frame of the Jeep? I know with CBs this helps but not sure about GMRS. Thanks

#2 1URFE57

1URFE57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationRocket City
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJI929
  • Ham Callsign:KG5OEQ

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:11 AM

Another question...I have my GMRS antenna mounted on my roof rack on my Jeep JL. The roof of the Jeep is fiberglass. The roof rack crossbars are aluminum. I have the antenna mounted to the crossbar on an approximately 8" long 3" wide 1/4" thick piece of steel. Should I run a ground wire from the steel mount to the frame of the Jeep? I know with CBs this helps but not sure about GMRS. Thanks

You're good to go no need for ground wire there, aluminium is a conductor so your setup will work just fine. 

#3 cliff

cliff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationReinholds, PA

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:27 AM

You're good to go no need for ground wire there, aluminium is a conductor so your setup will work just fine. 

Thanks for the response, much appreciated

#4 O-B-1

O-B-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA
  • GMRS Callsign:WRHW845

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:22 AM

25-3/4" sheet metal disk atop the roof, properly grounded, and under the antenna mount will provide a one wavelength diameter ground plane for optimal operation.

The ground plane "mirrors" the antenna element to create the second element of a "virtual" electrical dipole antenna.

Thank you and 73...

O-B-1

"If you have learned nothing new this day, you have wasted the whole day." -MSgt David Hollis, USAF

#5 cliff

cliff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationReinholds, PA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:50 PM

25-3/4" sheet metal disk atop the roof, properly grounded, and under the antenna mount will provide a one wavelength diameter ground plane for optimal operation.

The ground plane "mirrors" the antenna element to create the second element of a "virtual" electrical dipole antenna.

Thanks. Maybe that will be my next project. Working much better with the 6db antenna though. 

#6 1URFE57

1URFE57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationRocket City
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJI929
  • Ham Callsign:KG5OEQ

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:20 AM

Thanks. Maybe that will be my next project. Working much better with the 6db antenna though. 

Just keep experimenting this is what radio hobby is all about playing with antennas, if you have your ham license more antenna to play with.

#7 uplander

uplander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJD390

Posted 12 December 2020 - 05:16 PM

I have a Jeep Gladiator with an aluminum bed rack. I mounted a 3db ghost antenna to it with no ground and can hit a repeater  58 miles away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users