Operating Btech 50-X1 on DC Battery

dxace1

What your thinking of is *way* more trouble than it's worth. If you were to do this - the best you could do is one of those lithium "jump-start" thingies you can get at Harbor Freight. But, you'll quickly run it down..

My best advice is to just wire the positive lead directly to the car battery, and the negative lead to the closest chassis ground you can find. It's a little more effort, but well worth it.

New to GMRS here so thanks in advance for any help on this -- can anyone provide tips

on operating a 50X-1 in the car using some DC battery pack instead of wiring it into the

car system?

Certainly doable, but generally speaking, not very practical for everyday use for the average radio user.

Consider the following.

If I were going to do this, I would want a high-capacity battery, one that had to power to serve me a good amount of time between charges, perhaps something likely of good physical size. Since I would not want to have a big battery occupying the floor in front of (or on) a seat in the car, I would immediately look for a place to hide this monster. This would cause me to search for some place in the car to get the blasted thing out of my way. This may lead me to the trunk, engine compartment, perhaps some fender cavity or other suitable space. Once I settled on that space I would install it there. But then, I would soon get tired of the added hassle of charging the battery, which would likely mean running extension cable and charger periodically to the car to charge it. Getting tired of that hassle, I would certainly find myself looking for how I could connect the battery to my vehicle’s charging system; this way I could use it to keep my added battery at full capacity too. Then I would certainly want to make sure that this extra battery does not run down too if I leave the car lights on. So I would add circuitry that ensures the battery is only charged by the vehicle, but not drained by it. Once complete, I would be pleased that I had this extra battery in the car.

Upon reflection I would recognize that I had invested way more time and money than simply running power cables to the original car battery. I would also conclude it a well worthwhile investment if I had the practical need for it.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for both for the observation -- one reason for this is that I have an older car and don't necessarily

want to be chained to it or sell with the additional wiring.  The other is that I may not be using the 50X-1 on a

daily basis from the car and would want to have it "portable" so to speak.   Goal Zero and similar larger battery

units I think would provide the power needed.  Has anyone ever set up a 50X-1 or similar transceiver using the

DC connector with a Goal Zero or similar battery?

Thanks for both for the observation -- one reason for this is that I have an older car and don't necessarily

want to be chained to it or sell with the additional wiring. The other is that I may not be using the 50X-1 on a

daily basis from the car and would want to have it "portable" so to speak. Goal Zero and similar larger battery

units I think would provide the power needed. Has anyone ever set up a 50X-1 or similar transceiver using the

DC connector with a Goal Zero or similar battery?

So perhaps you are looking for a go box, a box that includes a mobile radio and built in battery and even an antenna connector on the top. One that you can take in and out of the car and even use it table-top outdoors. Search the net and you surely find variety of them. Even Midland had a link to one on their website for use with their micro mobile radios last time I visit it. Just a thought.

You might also be able to tuck a battery like this under one of your seats. https://www.expertpower.us/products/ep1220-20ah?variant=29702738346082&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiAn7L-BRBbEiwAl9UtkDd2peqzl2Q2EQVtA2mi_TsV-QIczb-YaabLriB8K46E_IpOdD0r6xoCd_UQAvD_BwE

Seeing that it is a long life battery you could cycle it almost fully without worrying about damaging it as would be the case if you use traditional lead acid batteries. And if you are using Lithium based batteries, there is generally no need to keep the battery fully charged when not using to prevent premature aging and failure (which is the case with traditional lead acid batteries).

Good Luck.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for my 50-X2 to arrive, except I have a question for you: Instead of using the X1 as a mobile, why not use it as a base station and instead get yourself a good handheld coupled with a quality mobile antenna to be your mobile unit? Granted, a good handheld (I have a Baofeng F8HP handheld with a Nagoya UT-79 magnet mount antenna) might get you 8w as opposed to the 50w of the X1, but that also depends whether you intend to use the X1 for local use (where 5-8w will do ya just fine), or more distant stations at 50w (and end up sitting in your car for that rather than the comfort of your radio nook inside the house). And using your X1 as a base, you'll eliminate the problem of car batteries, grounding, etcetc by getting yourself an indoor power supply unit. Anyway, it was a thought that ocurred to me, since it was one of my considerations. You might want to try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2M2Y5O/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1