Bubble pack repeater capable radio?

Guest Mike

Is there a such thing as a bubble pack radio with repeater capability?  I own a set of gxt1000's from midland, but was upset to find out that after buying they weren't repeater capable.  I want to utilize a repeater while hunting to communicate with my wife at home in case I get lost, hurt, or just need her to meet me due to the cell reception being non existent.  I am new to the GMRS field and I am licensed through the fcc.  Any help and guidance would be appreciated!

If you mean by "bubble pack radio" the ones you see at the department store I would say no. The FCC changed the rules back a few years so combo GMRS and FRS radios are no longer legally sold, and a few I think did include repeater access. What you will find are likely FRS only radios which by law can't have repeater functions.

I think your best bet is researching online specifically for GMRS radios, then look carefully at the spec's or get a copy of the operator's manual. Check to see if repeater setup or functionality is specifically mentioned and how it works. As you discovered some don't.

One more thing if you want repeater access have you checked to see if there are any repeaters, and are operational, within a few miles of where you plan to operate? If not then repeater functions on the radio won't help you much.

Any handheld radio you do get I would recommend it should have a removable antenna. This way you can use it while mobile with a simple 1/4 wave magnet mount on the roof, or switch to a better on-radio antenna. The range is severely reduced using the on-radio antenna while inside of a vehicle. Some people use a magnet mount on a cookie sheet for a ground plane to use inside the house for limited range, usually better than the on-radio antenna.

If you mean by "bubble pack radio" the ones you see at the department store I would say no. The FCC changed the rules back a few years so combo GMRS and FRS radios are no longer legally sold, and a few I think did include repeater access. What you will find are likely FRS only radios which by law can't have repeater functions.

I think your best bet is researching online specifically for GMRS radios, then look carefully at the spec's or get a copy of the operator's manual. Check to see if repeater setup or functionality is specifically mentioned and how it works. As you discovered some don't.

One more thing if you want repeater access have you checked to see if there are any repeaters, and are operational, within a few miles of where you plan to operate? If not then repeater functions on the radio won't help you much.

Any handheld radio you do get I would recommend it should have a removable antenna. This way you can use it while mobile with a simple 1/4 wave magnet mount on the roof, or switch to a better on-radio antenna. The range is severely reduced using the on-radio antenna while inside of a vehicle. Some people use a magnet mount on a cookie sheet for a ground plane to use inside the house for limited range, usually better than the on-radio antenna.

Yes there is a repeater in range, not sure if it will work in the woods but certainly want to try.  By bubblepack I meant off the shelf at the store, I figured as much.  I will keep searching for one thank you for your input

Is there a such thing as a bubble pack radio with repeater capability? I own a set of gxt1000's from midland, but was upset to find out that after buying they weren't repeater capable. I want to utilize a repeater while hunting to communicate with my wife at home in case I get lost, hurt, or just need her to meet me due to the cell reception being non existent. I am new to the GMRS field and I am licensed through the fcc. Any help and guidance would be appreciated!

BuyTwoWayRadios, although discontinued, still shows the product data for the only ‘bubble pack’ repeater capable radios I ever new existed. That ship has sailed, which is good IMO. Here is the link for your reference: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2015/12/repeater_capable_frs_gmrs_radios.html

The Wouxun KG-805G listed in the link above is actually a newer radio and the only one in the list that is current. It is is an excellent step-up from the Midland GXT1000, it is repeater capable and includes absolutely everything you need to kick start yourself into GMRS. Buy a pair of them and build your own bubble pack.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m aware of five models…

Motorola MR-355R (I own several)

Motorola MR-356R

Motorola MS-350R

Motorola MS-355R

Liberty 500

All are discontinued, so you’d have to buy them used. They all come with the 121 standardized DPL tones and cannot do split tones. The Motorola MS series, they tend to be particularly expensive, even used. The MR-355R (I’ve never seen a 356) tend to be about on par with other radios from the same series price wise. Never seen nor sought out the Liberty 500.

You could argue the Midland GMRS HTs are effectively warmed over blister pack radios.

...You could argue the Midland GMRS HTs are effectively warmed over blister pack radios.

Agreed. I put them in the same camp as the rest of the middle to upper tier bubble pack of FRS radios. The version I have are the the original 5 watt version. They have since been scaled back to 2.x something. Don’t want to drop them.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My friend has that radio and it is GMRS.  He can hear me on the nearest repeater but the GPX1000 doesn't put out a TX signal strong enough for him to reach and use the repeater to talk back.

I am thinking you'd need to be within a couple/three miles for the repeater to get enough signal to operate for you.

Check and make sure the repeater is up and functioning too, before you try.

And remember, just because you can hear the repeater, doesn't mean it can hear you. :unsure:

Here a 10 watt repeater that may work...  Put it in your vehicle and hike into the woods and see if you and wife can reach other.

https://www.retevis.com/rt97-portable-repeater-power-amplifier-uhf#A9150C-C9082A-C9123A

I did email them to see if Part # 95 approved and have not heard back for over a week, so I would say no.  

Jack

WRJX754

Here a 10 watt repeater that may work...  Put it in your vehicle and hike into the woods and see if you and wife can reach other.

https://www.retevis.com/rt97-portable-repeater-power-amplifier-uhf#A9150C-C9082A-C9123A

I did email them to see if Part # 95 approved and have not heard back for over a week, so I would say no.  

Jack

WRJX754

We carry the RT97 GMRS version which is FCC approved (FCC ID 2ASNSRT97). The problem is that while the label says it's 10W, it's really set to 5W (for the GMRS version). I believe this is done to allow any of the 8 repeater channels to be used with the included duplexer without having to retune it (although the desense will be getting worse the further you get from the center frequency of the duplexer). At 10W, the tuning of the duplexer is even more critical and they wouldn't be able to get away with this.

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/featured-products/products/retevis-rt97-gmrs-repeater-5w

People seem to like them, they are very simple, there's a dedicated TX/RX board (not just 2 HTs inside), a DC/DC converter, and the LCD display/button board on the front of the case, plus a 10W-rated notch duplexer inside tuned to somewhere in the middle of the GMRS primary channel range. Comes with a AC power supply, a 12/24V cigarette lighter plug. Antenna connector is a UHF female (SO-239). The case is die-cast metal, not plastic.

Guest jnr0104

We carry the RT97 GMRS version which is FCC approved (FCC ID 2ASNSRT97). The problem is that while the label says it's 10W, it's really set to 5W (for the GMRS version). I believe this is done to allow any of the 8 repeater channels to be used with the included duplexer without having to retune it (although the desense will be getting worse the further you get from the center frequency of the duplexer). At 10W, the tuning of the duplexer is even more critical and they wouldn't be able to get away with this.

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/featured-products/products/retevis-rt97-gmrs-repeater-5w

People seem to like them, they are very simple, there's a dedicated TX/RX board (not just 2 HTs inside), a DC/DC converter, and the LCD display/button board on the front of the case, plus a 10W-rated notch duplexer inside tuned to somewhere in the middle of the GMRS primary channel range. Comes with a AC power supply, a 12/24V cigarette lighter plug. Antenna connector is a UHF female (SO-239). The case is die-cast metal, not plastic.

I have 2 of them, have not checked output from antennas,

but  retevis says that even the gmrs version had 2 power settings,like the amateur versions do.  Also wide and narrow band settings using the software.

Both are outperforming  the radio coverage maps we did for the locations @5 watts.  Getting 20 miles out of one with antenna at 24 ft ( CA-712EFC antenna). 27 miles( as far as we have tried it)  on second location with antenna at 65 ft (CA-712EFC antenna).  Audio quality and clarity equal to,or better than most amateur repeaters in the area, that have much more power and more antenna height!  Family and licensed friends that are using the repeaters are amazed at what we have for the money we spent!   

• 1 month later...

OK guys, it has been warm in WNC until snow comes next week.  So need your input.  I'm still looking at the https://shop.mygmrs....mrs-repeater-5w  Will this work for my RV and or Jeep as a repeater/base with a Midland MicroMobile MXTA26 6db Gain Whip Antenna and Midland MicroMobile MXTA12 Antenna Mag Mount.  What do you think...  

Rich if I purchase through myGMRS will you program it for me and support me.  I sent one email question to Retevis which they replied with no answer and an offer of $80 off and 3 week delivery.  I need to know I can ask a support question more than the $80 off.  If I pull the trigger I do not want to wait 3 weeks thinking you have it in stock.

Thanks,

Jack 

I plan to order the same repeater for my motorhome this spring. I run a GR1225 now but the power draw when im dry camping is more than this one so my plan is to swap. I already have my GR1225 turned down to 10 watts so think it will be a nice plug/play swap. It should be an ideal little repeater for small coverage locations in a campground or from your vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

I took your advise in reverse.... even you did not give it... I just picked up a GR1225 for $300 and power it to 25 watts for family at home then move it to RV and Jeeping.  This new purchase can run on standby 12 volt battery and trickle charge off of 110v plus I have solar charging in RV as well as an inverter that I will plug it into.  O and in the RV site plugged in... so not dry like you are talking about.

Jack 

I plan to order the same repeater for my motorhome this spring. I run a GR1225 now but the power draw when im dry camping is more than this one so my plan is to swap. I already have my GR1225 turned down to 10 watts so think it will be a nice plug/play swap. It should be an ideal little repeater for small coverage locations in a campground or from your vehicle.

Is the radio mounted inside your RV?  Curious if it could be connected to an external speaker outside, as in the built in stereo speakers on mine (I don't do music in camp and run Bluetooth for any AM/FM/Online listening when cellular is available).  Actually thinking I might install the mobile in the slot where my radio/CD player is in the 5er and connect to existing external speakers.

Is there a reason a 450 1/4 wave antenna on the roof wouldn't be sufficient?  Of course it would require a ground plane.   I could probably come up with a ground plane mount on or near the existing TV antenna (which I also do not use - all this junk is standard equipment these days).  

I also like your dual channel programming for power usage.. but, unless you're TX/RX a lot, isn't the standby power draw equal?   Maybe you're in an area with lots of traffic, I'm surely not.

So i have mine with 2 channels programmed. One on high power (25 watts) and one on low power (10 watts). When I have a 50 amp hookup its on CH1 HP when im dry camping its on CH 2 LP. 

Nice ideas for RV... I do have sound system to connect other source... it maybe more noise then I want.  Just want to hear kids playing.  Now I was thinking of this antenna, comments for an easy up and down temp antenna that may fit in closet.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/GMRS-HAM-UHF-5dB-gain-Repeater-Base-Antenna-/112813555663

Jack

Is the radio mounted inside your RV?  Curious if it could be connected to an external speaker outside, as in the built in stereo speakers on mine (I don't do music in camp and run Bluetooth for any AM/FM/Online listening when cellular is available).  Actually thinking I might install the mobile in the slot where my radio/CD player is in the 5er and connect to existing external speakers.

Is there a reason a 450 1/4 wave antenna on the roof wouldn't be sufficient?  Of course it would require a ground plane.   I could probably come up with a ground plane mount on or near the existing TV antenna (which I also do not use - all this junk is standard equipment these days).  

I also like your dual channel programming for power usage.. but, unless you're TX/RX a lot, isn't the standby power draw equal?   Maybe you're in an area with lots of traffic, I'm surely not.

Just for giggles:  

Of course there's not much antenna height with this setup but still better than ground level.  

I might look at my RV TV antenna to see if it can me modified to mount a UHF antenna with radials or build my own radial mount for a ground plane.  That way it would be 'crankable' to elevate the antenna a bit and lower when travelling.  Have to wait for warm weather to get up on the RV roof.

Spit-balling, you see.

Well warm and sunny here for last today but I will wait for you to do it first so you can tell me what you did.  I do not use my crank TV antenna, we have DirecTV for $5 a month add on reciever since some of the over the air TV shows are not worth the channel surfing.  

Jack

Just for giggles:  

Of course there's not much antenna height with this setup but still better than ground level.  

I might look at my RV TV antenna to see if it can me modified to mount a UHF antenna with radials or build my own radial mount for a ground plane.  That way it would be 'crankable' to elevate the antenna a bit and lower when travelling.  Have to wait for warm weather to get up on the RV roof.

Spit-balling, you see.

Well warm and sunny here for last today but I will wait for you to do it first so you can tell me what you did.  I do not use my crank TV antenna, we have DirecTV for $5 a month add on reciever since some of the over the air TV shows are not worth the channel surfing.  

Jack

If your going to use the crank up antenna I used the laird as I do now on my 5th wheel. I mounted it with the brackets that come in the kit but had to add an extension to get around the AM/FM antenna. I followed the same "entry" as the TV antenna but spent way too much time trying to fish it down the wall. In the end it looked nice, let me crank up antenna and was on air, but had to use RG58 and had about 30'. It also knocked out the TV apparently only when the wife was watching   :D . I had it on the repeater first then ended up moving it to my midland radio as a "base" in the unit.

When we got the MH I didn't want to deal with all of the wire stuff which is why i got the FG4500. Mounted on the motorhome with the cable run down the ladder along frame rail to the compartment made it simple and effective. Its about an 1" taller than my vent covers and most of the time have left it in place even while traveling. I did remove it originally thinking it would get hit but so far its been fine. In reality if it gets hit I already hit my vents and other stuff on the roof. But again its a 2 minute job to remove it. Inside the MH I have the Midland 275 on the dash hooked to a NMO mount in the center of the MH. I removed the factory AM/FM antenna and put a thick mount NMO with a 12" stainless disk under it. It works perfect. 99% of the time its just talking to the repeater anyway but when I'm traveling down the highway its nice.

Depending on your camper your roof will be rubber coated or fiberglass. Neither will give you any ground plane so you will need to add it. Also its a sandwiched roof inside layer, foam, outside so trying to mount an antenna on it is challenging. You could just screw a piece of steel on over the rubber and use a mag mount but that leads to other issues. Getting a cheap base antenna is probably the best bet without alot of work. IF you have solar the other option may be to use a L style mount on the Solar mounts. I did this on my fathers MH but he only uses it to talk to me when we are traveling. 

Great info.... So I have a CHINOOK NOT FOR SALE anymore at https://www.jbewing.com/ForSale/RV/ look at the photos... I'm a visual guy... so show me some photos.  Your reply post is a great start to see.  The CHINOOK is fiberglass so what antenna do you suggest so I do not have to do a ground plane.  

Jack

If your going to use the crank up antenna I used the laird as I do now on my 5th wheel. I mounted it with the brackets that come in the kit but had to add an extension to get around the AM/FM antenna. I followed the same "entry" as the TV antenna but spent way too much time trying to fish it down the wall. In the end it looked nice, let me crank up antenna and was on air, but had to use RG58 and had about 30'. It also knocked out the TV apparently only when the wife was watching   :D . I had it on the repeater first then ended up moving it to my midland radio as a "base" in the unit.

When we got the MH I didn't want to deal with all of the wire stuff which is why i got the FG4500. Mounted on the motorhome with the cable run down the ladder along frame rail to the compartment made it simple and effective. Its about an 1" taller than my vent covers and most of the time have left it in place even while traveling. I did remove it originally thinking it would get hit but so far its been fine. In reality if it gets hit I already hit my vents and other stuff on the roof. But again its a 2 minute job to remove it. Inside the MH I have the Midland 275 on the dash hooked to a NMO mount in the center of the MH. I removed the factory AM/FM antenna and put a thick mount NMO with a 12" stainless disk under it. It works perfect. 99% of the time its just talking to the repeater anyway but when I'm traveling down the highway its nice.

Depending on your camper your roof will be rubber coated or fiberglass. Neither will give you any ground plane so you will need to add it. Also its a sandwiched roof inside layer, foam, outside so trying to mount an antenna on it is challenging. You could just screw a piece of steel on over the rubber and use a mag mount but that leads to other issues. Getting a cheap base antenna is probably the best bet without alot of work. IF you have solar the other option may be to use a L style mount on the Solar mounts. I did this on my fathers MH but he only uses it to talk to me when we are traveling. 

Nice ideas for RV... I do have sound system to connect other source... it maybe more noise then I want.  Just want to hear kids playing.  Now I was thinking of this antenna, comments for an easy up and down temp antenna that may fit in closet.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/GMRS-HAM-UHF-5dB-gain-Repeater-Base-Antenna-/112813555663

Jack

Here's a better one.  B4505CS Chrome Base Coil Half Wave Antenna - NMO Spring - 450-470 MHz – Arcadian - ArcAntenna.com

OK I like what you are saying about NMO... I have a https://midlandusa.com/product/micromobile-mxta26-6db-gain-whip-antenna/ on a magnet base... I would just need a mount to side of my RV... any ideas??