• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1459 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

The 2014 Atlantic Tropical Storm and Hurricane season officially runs from June 01 to November 30. Each year, NOAA and the National Hurricane Center in Miami sponsors "Hurricane Preparedness Week", this year running from May 25 to May 31.

For persions in Tropical Storm and Hurricane prone areas of the Gulf Coast and Atlantic Coast, please use the link shown here for information that could save your life:

NOAA Hurricane Preparedness

Our staff at the Tropical Storm Research Center in Gulf Shores, Alabama, is already on the job evaluating weather patterns in the Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico and our unofficial reporting can be found at:

Tropical Storm Research Center

Thank you and Be Safe.

PastorGary -

Weather postings Copyrighted © TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#2 unit997

unit997

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorth Jersey
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQE997

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

Lets all keep an eye on this. Thank you PastorGary for sharing this with all of us.

#3 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1459 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

My involvemnt as a volunteer Tropical Storm analyst with the Tropical Storm Research Center in Gulf Shores, Alabama, was the result of loosing our leased Chapel building with Hurricane Ivan in September 2004.  

Please feel free to visit our website anytime - especially when there is an active named storm in the Atlantic, Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico...

http://www.gulfstorm.net

#4 gdavis316

gdavis316

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRL495
  • Ham Callsign:N3DNR

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for the info, being a gameWarden during Hugo, and floyd, and all other in between and after, i am glad to be retired........but i do miss the rush of deployment..........nawwww.  

Thank you for the info Pastor Gary

#5 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1459 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

:)

One of the issues that our Chaplain Responder Team, as well as Red Cross personnel face after storm devastation is displaced 'critters'.  When we are attempting to assist victims, we must be exceptionally careful to deal with Gators, Cottonmouths, Rattlers, Constrictors and several varieties of venomous spiders. When a storm rearranges the landscape for miles and miles, the normal habitat is disrupted and these species get very agressive. As a retired Warden in South Carolina, I'm sure that you have had to deal with this as well.

#6 gdavis316

gdavis316

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRL495
  • Ham Callsign:N3DNR

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

When Francis(i think it was) skirted the coast, i found out how valuable we were.....they sent us to Georgetown and put up up in a hotel on Winyah Bay.  During the height of the storm the parking lot flooded half way and it was about 6 gators sitting amongst the trucks.  After that they figured out it was safter to move the deployed more inland.  During Floyd had lots of fire ant problems, but really no other critter problems.  I do miss helping people, may join southern Baptist disaster team at church.  

#7 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1459 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

Good for you, Glenn... Thank you for your involvement over the years and I'm sure that victims of these terrible storms would appreciate your assistance in the future.  When trained professionals retire, there is always a place for them to continue to assist others in some capacity. Everyone here at MyGMRS can potentially help others during times of disaster one way or another. We all have skills that would be valuable to others during these times and preparing for these events ahead of time by volunteering and going through refresher training is very important.

Thanks to everyone who puts their own lives on hold for awhile to assist the less fortunate in the aftermath of disasters.

• unit997 likes this
PastorGary -

Weather postings Copyrighted © TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#8 unit997

unit997

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorth Jersey
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQE997

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Oh my!! I thought i seen enough critter here in Boca Raton, wow that's crazy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users