Retevis RT76P programming

slice155

Question

I picked up two of these radios.    I asked and have received the correct download program from retevis,   what i cant get past is the password it is asking for ????????    I have emailed Retevis but its a chinese holiday.     I have also tried Chirp  but they do not list the 76p under models...      

1)  anyone have the password  

2) or does anyone know a close enough model number that i could try on Chirp.   

If the radio's codeplug is password protected -- you're going to need to find out what the Password was from the last person who programmed them. I'd start with the buyer - but if he doesn't know it, you're in a tough spot. I would be trying to return them ASAP if the seller claims that "I got them that way".

To be clear, I am assuming that you were able to load the Retevis program, and hook up cables to read the radio.

If the program itself requires a Passcode to install/open it - you're going to need someone more familiar with their software & any workarounds.

THE RT76P SOFTWARE FROM THERE WEB SITE WORKS BUT EVERYTIME YOU PLUG IN YOU HAVE TO WRITE TO RADIO WHICH  

MESSES EVERTHING UP TO FACTORY ALL PL GONE OFFSETS GONE EX EX YOU CAN NOT CLOSE OUT MAKE SURE YOUR 100% DONE 

YOU CAN GO BACK TO ADJUST THEN READ TO RADIO BACK TO SQ 1 IF YOU CLOSE OUT HOPEFULLY CHIRP SOON

what a PITA     I finally got them to send me the correct info...   

Please try these steps:

Please connected the cable and opened the software program. The frequency page will appear or you may have to click on open. Make the changes on the page and save it. Do not click on “read from the radio”. Click on “write to radio.” A prompt comes up and asking for the old password and new password which needs to be ignored. There is no need to enter anything. Click “Start.”  The program will transfer the frequency page to the radio. Here’s the important part- turn off the radio and turn it back on. The voice prompt will say “frequency mode.” You need to switch to “channel mode” by pressing and holding the “menu” button. That will take you to the main channels where other radio changes can be made.
Please try.  this did work for me..   

what a PITA     I finally got them to send me the correct info...   

Please try these steps:

Please connected the cable and opened the software program. The frequency page will appear or you may have to click on open. Make the changes on the page and save it. Do not click on “read from the radio”. Click on “write to radio.” A prompt comes up and asking for the old password and new password which needs to be ignored. There is no need to enter anything. Click “Start.”  The program will transfer the frequency page to the radio. Here’s the important part- turn off the radio and turn it back on. The voice prompt will say “frequency mode.” You need to switch to “channel mode” by pressing and holding the “menu” button. That will take you to the main channels where other radio changes can be made.
Please try.  this did work for me..   

Thanks for posting this!  I assume you did this on a PC? 

I went through the same thing, and had several email exchanges with "Nancy" at Retevis. I have still not been able to change the factory PL tones or bandwidth from the front panel.  After these instructions from Nancy, I was able to program it via  my PC and a UV-5r cable-Please      connect the cable and opened the software program. The frequency page will appear or you may have to click on open. Make the changes on the page and save it. Do not click on “read from the radio”. Click on “write to radio.” A prompt comes up and asking for the old password and new password which needs to be ignored. There is no need to enter anything. Click “Start.”  The program will transfer the frequency page to the radio. Here’s the important part- turn off the radio and turn it back on. The voice prompt will say “frequency mode.” You need to switch to “channel mode” by pressing and holding the “menu” button. That will take you to the main channels where other radio changes can be made. 

I asked Retevis to connect me with their engineers, because no combination of button presses allowed me to change those  parameters from the front panel. Even with the fixed antenna, this thing works well, and looks like it is fairly rugged. If anyone solves the FPP mystery, please update here.

I had to upgrade the firmware on my RT76P before i could program it with a pc using Retevis software, not CHIRPs. The password that was given to me by Nancy at Retevis support is 288288. They also sent me the software to upgrade firmware. I am still not able to program them using the front end.

The software also allows me to root the radio. I'm not certain but I believe that rooting the radio will unlock it. I haven't tried this because it might brick the radio and make it useless.

the whole time I was dealing with Nancy he/she never said a darn thing about a firmware update.   thanks for the link...    mine have been working great,   if anyone figures out how to get the channels to rearrange to where its one, two, three and so for repeaters that i use     instead of channel 23   27   19  and so on...

Fingers crossed.  Mine (2) arrive today.  Have the software and firmware loaded into the PC.

There's no need to write "every time" you "plug it in". You can save a configuration as a .dat file and open that, or you can read the current configuration from the radio.

The CPS program is about as simple as it gets.

I just got my 76Ps on Wednesday, and thanks to this thread was able to get them up and running.  I upgraded the firmware first thing.  The procedure is a little unorthodox in that you open the firmware zip file and there is an executable in there.  I spent probably 15 minutes searching through the programming GUI trying to find out where to add the firmware and write it to the radio.  Hopefully that tip is useful for someone.

Has anyone had luck getting the NOAA channels to work?  Several places say the firmware upgrade is supposed to fix it, but all 3 of mine still don't rx anything.  I have 2 other devices that NOAA works just fine.

Give this a whirl for NOAA.  I haven't tried it yet.

https://blog.retevis.com/index.php/rt76p-how-to-change-ctcss-dcs-via-keyboard-and-how-to-set-noaa-function/amp/

Where did you get your 76?  I'm hoping to not have to do firmware.  

Once I get the software data inserted can I read to both radios from there instead of entering data for each radio?

Dug this up so I can program NOAA for where I hang out/travel.  Nice to see that my home NOAA and the one covering the area where I vacation in Montana are on the same frequency.

https://www.weather.gov/nwr/station_listing

So far:

If I choose Read it pops for a password, entering 288288 doesn't work, leaving it blank doesn't work. 

So:  Filling in spreadsheet w/o Reading radio (as above). 

Entering or removing CTCSS.

Unable to change bandwidth from N to Wide in the software, default on all channels is Narrow.. eek.  This will not match with any of my other radios.

I discover Channel Bandwidth selection on the display, all defaulted to Narrow.  I Menu and change to "Width", not Wide, select Menu to confirm and get voice "Cancel" and it defaults back to Narrow.

BTW the firmware update linked above is gone.

WRITE to Radio worked on HT #1.  Multiple failed attempts to Write to HT #2.  Totally rewrote the spreadsheet, Save, Write...  just sits there in Handshake...

Radio off, unplugged USB, radio, etc.

Wrote fine multiple time to HT #1.  

Still no way to change Bandwidth Spacing (N/W).

..aaargh.

---------------------

Restart laptop = Windows Update... aargh x2.. lol

Successful write to HT #2.  

Still have an issue with selecting Wideband.  It's in the spreadsheet but is not a selectable dropdown box and won't take on keypad entry.  

Is this a flipping Midland?

Tip of the whole day; so glad you posted this and I vaguely remembered to go find it.. saved me a bunch of frustration (but not all..lol) after Writing to the HT.

Here’s the important part- turn off the radio and turn it back on. The voice prompt will say “frequency mode.” You need to switch to “channel mode” by pressing and holding the “menu” button. That will take you to the main channels where other radio changes can be made.

Thankya!

I got mind off Amazon, bought the 3 pack. 

For whatever reason, the software will not read from the radios, so if you want to program them differently, you'll need to save the file for each and then write over the current config.

I got my firmware off the Retevis site: https://www.retevis.com/Retevis-RT76P-GMRS-Radio-Portable-Walkie-Talkies/#A9180BX1-C9034AX1

As for NOAA, even when I manually enter them in frequency mode, it still doesn't receive.  Hopefully they release another firmware update soon to fix it.

Programmed via software and keypad.  Had some difficulty with inability to Read from radio so just input and did a Write.  Worked first try on one and had to reboot laptop to Write to 2nd HT.  Seemed like all was good.  Programmed other items via keypad.

Took both out in the field for testing using Wouxun 805G, Kenwood 3170.  One of the 76 worked fine, the other will TX but would not RX against any of the other radios.  Set SQ to 1, made sure CTCSS were identical and made several attempts with no RX.  If you have a suggestion I’m wide open.

I’ll play with it at home today but if I can't make it work will have to see about returning.  Fortunately, I bought them here so am confident I'll get taken care of. 

Honestly, these being my first dual-band HT, I’m not a fan and prefer the simplicity of the 805G/3170 using GMRS only.  For me, it's a must to Lock the keypad whenever in the field.