New GMRS Application Fee Reduced to $35 (from $70)

intermod

The FCC had recently proposed a reduction from $70 to $50, but there was push-back at least from Randall Knowles, KAA8142.  The Commission subsequently reduced it further to $35.  This reduction also applies to license renewals. 

Source:

http://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-184A1.pdf

Some passages:

"41. One commenter, Knowles, contends that the proposed $50 fee for GMRS is too high, as
the application process is automated.  There is no testing involved, as with the amateur license. We
recognize that the application process for GMRS licenses is highly automated. There are, however, some
costs involved in ensuring applicants are qualified and off-lined applications are individually reviewed,
and we cannot conclude that there are no costs involved.

42. After reviewing the record, including the extensive comments filed by amateur radio
licensees and based on our revised analysis of the cost of processing mostly automated processes
discussed in our methodology section, we adopt a $35 application fee, a lower application fee than the
Commission proposed in the NPRM for personal licenses, in recognition of the fact that the application
process is mostly automated.

193. Rule effective date. As the Commission implements the changes to our application fee

schedule, we anticipate that OMD, along with the Bureaus and Offices, may be required to update some
of our licensing databases, payment instruction guides and/or adjust administrative internal procedures
before we may begin accepting the new fees for certain categories of application fee payors.
Accordingly, we direct the Office of Managing Director, in consultation with the relevant Offices and
Bureaus, to cause a notice to be published in the Federal Register announcing when rule change(s) will
become effective, once the relevant databases, guides, and internal procedures have been updated."

$35 can still exceed the cost of some CCRs, but this is an improvement.  While we would all want this to be zero, having some fee keeps the GMRS on the FCC's radar, if not for enforcement purposes. 

Randall Knowles, KAA8142, is from the North Shore Emergency Association.  He has lobbied extensively for the GMRS for decades, working closely with Corwin Moore of the Personal Radio Steering Group (PRSG) back in the day.  His call sign may be the oldest GMRS one I have identified; I think it was issued in 1976.  

Attachments area

Randall Knowles, KAA8142, is from the North Shore Emergency Association.  He has lobbied extensively for the GMRS for decades, working closely with Corwin Moore of the Personal Radio Steering Group (PRSG) back in the day.  His call sign may be the oldest GMRS one I have identified; I think it was issued in 1976.

I've known Randy for quite awhile now, having been an active member of the NSEA for the past six years. Randy also put up the very first GMRS repeater in the nation, and was very instrumental in promoting GMRS and helping others across the country to get their repeaters on-line.

Yes, Randy has the distinction of having -- of not the oldest -- then one of the oldest licenses: KAA8142. Interesting factoid, this format is identical to the old Class D CB license, such as mine from the early sixties: KQI2403.

If anyone is truly interested, here is Randy's letter to the FCC. There is a lot of history revealed within it.  :)

https://www.nsea.com/fcc/Comments%20MD%2020-270.pdf

http://www.nsea.com is the website for the NSEA.

Well gee I wonder if they will be sending back half the money for folks that got their licenses in the last 12 months.

Doubt it.  When they went from 5 to 10 year licenses, they didn't automatically extend the existing 5-year licenses.  

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the $70 Club who purchased at FCC current price and before the discount.  I paid $70 end of Nov.  The word on the street is 60 to 90 days from end of year as FCC published for public comments before turning on the switch to change price.  

Jack

Ha - I purchased a GMRS license for $90, valid for 5 years, just before they extended it to 10 years!

The government giveth and the government taketh away. Esp $$$$   And the present administration is going to need the $$$.  I hate to relearn call signs so I know they will get 70 out of me by feb 22.  Has happened on all licenses. 90 first 5 years 70 for 5 prob going to be 70 for 10.  After that I might go rogue.  Alzheimer's could be a good excuse by then....

Still remember my CB call sign from the 1970's. KBST3418

I've known Randy for quite awhile now, having been an active member of the NSEA for the past six years. Randy also put up the very first GMRS repeater in the nation, and was very instrumental in promoting GMRS and helping others across the country to get their repeaters on-line.

Yes, Randy has the distinction of having -- of not the oldest -- then one of the oldest licenses: KAA8142. Interesting factoid, this format is identical to the old Class D CB license, such as mine from the early sixties: KQI2403.

If anyone is truly interested, here is Randy's letter to the FCC. There is a lot of history revealed within it.  :)

https://www.nsea.com/fcc/Comments%20MD%2020-270.pdf

http://www.nsea.com is the website for the NSEA.